When should a school intervene? Never? (school lunch issue)

Options

Replies

• LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you have any other concerns you could have a parent/teacher conference and then bring it up at that time. Otherwise I would just document it.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I wonder if all the people crying "nanny state" would object to an 8 year old taking OTC diet pills every morning at school, unsupervised? Adding carbonated water to the same ingredients and calling it "energy drink" doesn't magically transform those unregulated, excessive doses of caffeine and other herbs into Capri Sun.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    However, none of the above has anything to do with someone stepping in and parenting other people's children for them. It's nunya. Take care of your own kids.

Excuse me but I do take care of my kids and some that don't have food to eat. I take care of their parents too. Where I am the people still believe that it takes a community to raise a child. I share my food with the less privileged so as not to waste it. I give water to those I see nearby who are thirsty and don't have any money to buy for themselves. I am no Mother Theresa but I try my best to help out especially with the kids in the school my kids attend. Sometimes other parents need a hand sometime and helping is not illegal, that's why there are social workers and councillors.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    I share my food with the less privileged so as not to waste it. I give water to those I see nearby who are thirsty and don't have any money to buy for themselves.

That has nothing to do with the conversation.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    However, none of the above has anything to do with someone stepping in and parenting other people's children for them. It's nunya. Take care of your own kids.

Excuse me but I do take care of my kids and some that don't have food to eat. I take care of their parents too. Where I am the people still believe that it takes a community to raise a child. I share my food with the less privileged so as not to waste it. I give water to those I see nearby who are thirsty and don't have any money to buy for themselves. I am no Mother Theresa but I try my best to help out especially with the kids in the school my kids attend. Sometimes other parents need a hand sometime and helping is not illegal, that's why there are social workers and councillors.

do you find the wind messes up your hair at that altitude?
  • jorinya
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »
    Nope, but if I did, it is none of your business.

nosey_zps6b15kytf.jpg

Actually my nose is right where it should be, on my face. So the nose you found ain't mine. Ain't going to be a scapegoat!!!!

• jorinya
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

no you didn't- but you laid on the "my kids need to understand what healthy is" BS pretty thick. And much like you're entitled to your opinion- given that it's an open forum- I'm free to comment on your entitled opinion.

Don't like it- take the conversation into a private message. And you're more than welcome- I aim to please.

No thanks! And btw, I'm not the only one that thinks kids should be educated, that's what schools are for my dear.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My kids' school has policies in place.. no candy, soda, energy drink (seriously though, yikes), and parents are supposed to bring a 'nutritious' snack.

I'd think that in these conditions, the principal would just send a reminder to the parents in the kids' folder (although who knows if a parent that sends kids to school with that junk actually read the school' stuff). But if there's no policy, yeah, I can't see what could be done anyway.
  • jorinya
    Options

You don't have to have a personal attack. Hello but this is about nutrition for children and last I checked this is MFP not Facebook!!!!

• jorinya
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Not directed at you and ah I am entitled to defend myself and to my opinion. Thanks for your comment but nutrition is nutrition.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The amount of nanny state replies in this thread is alarming. Apparently Doritos = throwing your kid down a flight of stairs.

Do you have any kids? If so, wouldn't you like them to be healthy? If not, wait till you do and then answer the questions.
    I have four kids and try my best to teach them from a young age about healthy food and healthy lifestyle. Its never too early to start eating healthy and can prevent later health issues. I give them snacks too but in moderation.
    Not having a go at you, just asking cos of what you commented.

How is whether or not he has kids of his own and whether or not he wants those children, or his yet to be born children to be healthy, relevant to whether or not the OP should intervene with the child in question?

From the discussion - I like the idea of sending a note home with an overview of how the child is doing over all, and mentioning the child's breakfast in the guise of, "just wanted to make sure you were aware". Only after making sure with school administrator that there is no liability or risk in this situation.

Although, given that it is the end of the school year, you are probably better off just letting this go and maybe putting a note in the girl's file for next year's teacher that you had some concerns about her morning nutrition but you hope that things improve next year.

Do you know if there is a concern about enough food at home, or just the choice of food? Weekends, summer breaks, winter breaks, even snow days can be a big concern if families are relying on school provided meals to keep the kids fed. We had a situation last year with an extended number of snow days at the end of winter holidays and I know there was a lot of concern about students on free/reduced lunch and how long they had been without that support.

• jorinya
    Options
    Sorry I didn't know it was pick on people and try tear them apart day. Oh my God. What so people cannot have an opinion. Please check my previous post before you try to condemn me. I did give advise to the OP if you care to read through the thread. Sorry for breathing!!
  • JoRocka
    Options

You don't have to have a personal attack. Hello but this is about nutrition for children and last I checked this is MFP not Facebook!!!!

wasn't a personal attack- just pointing out how high you be riding on that horse over there.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Sorry I didn't know it was pick on people and try tear them apart day. Oh my God. What so people cannot have an opinion. Please check my previous post before you try to condemn me. I did give advise to the OP if you care to read through the thread. Sorry for breathing!!

Who is condemning you?

I actually did read through your previous posts and am confused about your position on this, because one of your earlier posts said this:
    Don't they teach about healthy eating in the school curriculum? I studies Childcare Learning and Development in UK and healthy eating and exercise were definitely in the curriculum. Perhaps having a healthy eating, healthy lifestyle talk in the school for parents might be an idea. You can ask the child how they feel about having the food they are bringing to school or find out from them during a class conversation the reason why they take it as breakfast. It could be the parents are intending the food as a snack for lunch but the child has other ideas. Don't pry too much and don't offend the parents. Good luck!!!

How is "don't pry and don't offend the parents" consistent with your later comments?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The amount of nanny state replies in this thread is alarming. Apparently Doritos = throwing your kid down a flight of stairs.

Do you have any kids? If so, wouldn't you like them to be healthy? If not, wait till you do and then answer the questions.
    I have four kids and try my best to teach them from a young age about healthy food and healthy lifestyle. Its never too early to start eating healthy and can prevent later health issues. I give them snacks too but in moderation.

Great job - You were able to raise your kids and give them insight into a healthy lifestyle. That's wonderful and as a former high school teacher in an urban environment, I wish even 10% of my parents were able to be that involved.

Unfortunately, in many areas, children aren't as lucky. My students' parents were too busy working 2-3 jobs, often not at home in the morning when the kids went off to school, or not at home when they came home to make sure the kids were eating properly.

For a good many of my students, they weren't raised by their parents - they were raised by aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, etc. Students who had adequate food in their houses were a minority.

Hell, some of my students were working jobs themselves to help support their family and pay rent. Or were parents themselves and would spend their money on food for their own children.

For many of those raising kids, it's not a necessarily matter of knowing healthy vs. unhealthy and what they should send with their kids to school. There are so many more factors at play.
  • JoRocka
    edited May 2015
    Options

And here we have what we like to call an "over reaction" kids... very soon we may even see the rage quit!!!
  • jorinya
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

How is whether or not he has kids of his own and whether or not he wants those children, or his yet to be born children to be healthy, relevant to whether or not the OP should intervene with the child in question?

Btw if you read carefully the same person you are running to defend did tell me to take care of my own kids so please read the thread carefully.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Btw if you read carefully the same person you are running to defend did tell me to take care of my own kids so please read the thread carefully.

I did. He said:

I don't need to have children to have an opinion on this. If and when I have children, I would want them to be healthy, and would provide for that as much as possible.

I think the point you are missing is that it doesn't matter how you raise your kids, or how he would raise his kids. What matters is that you would be responsible for your own children's health and well being and defining those terms for your own family. That is different than saying that someone whose child is coming to school with Doritos and RedBull should be reported to CPS (which I realize that you didn't say that - but it was the prevailing sentiment from the first couple pages of this thread).

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Not directed at you and ah I am entitled to defend myself and to my opinion. Thanks for your comment but nutrition is nutrition.

You are entitled to whatever opinion you like - but you're off topic for this thread.

But hey...let's bring "suspicious bruises" back into it, too...