Gym Rant

Options
tonicia
tonicia Posts: 145 Member
Okay so...I can understand a glance....temporary eye contact....eyes following people as they walk by...even looking at your neighbors machine, etc... but if you are craning your neck so hard to STARE for my entire workout while you are less than 2 feet from me....it's a little awkward. It throws off my entire focus when your head is turned straight at me the whole time in my peripheral vision. Please keeps your eyes forward so I can focus. I come to the gym to workout and push myself...not to socialize or be oogled at. On that note...MFP is not a dating site...we are here to get support for our personal fitness goals...that is all. (at least for me) *sigh* ok...rant over.

Replies

• snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. My favorite is when you can see them starring at you when you're lifting watching your reflection
  • lisakchurch
    Options
    Go girl!
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    :drinker: I understand 110%....Happens to me at the gym all the time...GERRR to them..
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    I will add to your rant lol especially regarding socializing at the gym.

1. If you would like to have an hour long phone call, do it outside, youre at the gym to work out.
    2. The gym is not a place to hang out. Dont come with a group of friends and just stand and talk. Or worse, just sit on a machine and talk! I want to use it!
    3. Didnt think this needed to be said, but I came across it last week . . Awesome youre getting into your ipod, but singing at the top of your lungs is not necessary.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    So the "hottest friend" threads, the "crush" threads, the "All the Single Ladies" threads, ect, ect and blah blah blah aren't just annoying the pi$$ outta me?
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I take it as a compliment if someone looks at me at the gym... but I dont want to be stared at the whole time. And MFP is a fitness site, but I see nothing wrong if love blooms between two ppl on here. Love is a beautiful thing. But I can respect your feelings on the matter.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    So the "hottest friend" threads, the "crush" threads, the "All the Single Ladies" threads, ect, ect and blah blah blah aren't just annoying the pi$$ outta me?

I don't get this. I'm married and don't participate on those threads (much :laugh: ) but they don't bother me. The "I'm 30 and haven't figured out how my period works yet" threads yet bother me more then people trying to find friends/romance. *shrugs*
  • veriviki
    veriviki Posts: 44
    Options
    I just go to the gym when I know it won't be really busy so I don't have to deal with any of that!
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    I hate it when the chicks are oogling me working out, like I'm some piece of meat. Leave me alone.

Sometimes people watch I think to check people out but also, to learn and maybe to see what other people do, or even to correct form.

It amazing how many people come to the gym and haven't the slightest clue on how to start the treadmill. Push the Big green button that says start !!!
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    I hate it when the chicks are oogling me working out, like I'm some piece of meat. Leave me alone.

Sometimes people watch I think to check people out but also, to learn and maybe to see what other people do, or even to correct form.

It amazing how many people come to the gym and haven't the slightest clue on how to start the treadmill. Push the Big green button that says start !!!
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options

I don't get this. I'm married and don't participate on those threads (much :lol:) but they don't bother me. The "I'm 30 and haven't figured out how my period works yet" threads yet bother me more then people trying to find friends/romance. *shrugs*
    I've had to first hide then delete friends because my news feed gets choked with people playing the numbers game off a thread, spend all day posting about how they weren't chosen as a hot friend, or starting up convos on which of their MFP friends they'd want to date. Meanwhile, I'm missing giving kudos to the girl who finally reached onederland, or is frustrated with her plateau, or someone who wants to share a great NSV.
    Oh..and the period threads drive me batty, too. LOL
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If someone looks at me more than once at they gym, I take it as a compliment. [When they are wearing a wedding band, I glare! Ha!] I don't want to be stared at the whole time, but it's like anywhere else, if you see someone attractive you've bound to look. I look all the time. I don't stare. But it passes the time. Body language.. ignoring them..and the occasional glare [as needed!] works great.

The people who use it as a social club do annoy me. I've made a couple friends at the gym, but am careful to never hold up a machine. I sometimes wonder if I'm a little rude to the person talking to me, but I like to keep moving, and clean a machine and move on as soon as I'm done. I could do without the "googly eyed" new lovers.. and the teen guys putting the moves on their young GFs in the weight corner. Oy!

I haven't seen any romantice threads? I look at the ones that interest me and leave the rest alone.
  • Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

3. Didnt think this needed to be said, but I came across it last week . . Awesome youre getting into your ipod, but singing at the top of your lungs is not necessary.

HAHAHA, I would pay to see that I think. Until I got really annoyed. Out of curiosity, what was the person singing along to?
  • skramer13
    skramer13 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the EXACT same situation, but your post reminded me of this video. I had to laugh - this problem is everywhere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_yc6AKXLI&feature=channel_video_title
    (warning...if you're worried about language, she swears a few times)
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

I don't get this. I'm married and don't participate on those threads (much :laugh: ) but they don't bother me. The "I'm 30 and haven't figured out how my period works yet" threads yet bother me more then people trying to find friends/romance. *shrugs*
    I concur! :wink: And we have the choice of whether or not we want to go in those threads.

And I don't mind being checked out....I mean I'm checking the hot guys out too!! I can't be a hypocrite!! :tongue: :laugh:
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ok...so I am going to add to your Gym Rant! Zumba is HOT at my gym and the room is huge, but if you want a good spot, you have to get there 10 - 15 mins early, and grab your spot. AND WHATEVER YOU DO...DO NOT MOVE FROM THAT SPOT! Someone WILL take it! I have a hearing problem and don't wear my hearing aids when I work out...sweat + hearing aids = :explode: aids...they don't like to be wet! So, I try to stay somewhat centered and close to the front so I can see the instructor in the mirror since the music is so loud I can't always hear what they are saying. I can't tell you how many times I've had people come and stand right next to me...IN MY SPACE! What's even more annoying is when they come and literally stand right in front of me! Last night, I asked the woman who was so close I could smell her shampoo...to move 4 feet forward so I can actually move when the class began! REALLY??? You have to be told not to stand directly in front of someone???
    Some people just need to get some manners!

Ok...rant done!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    MFP is many things to many people with lots of diversity of forums and threads...if you don`t like one then don`t go there.
    Have friends that are supportive of you and you supportive of them...why the "people should do this as I want" theme keeps coming up will always be a mystery to me.
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm with you all on this not being a dating site! I come here for support on weight loss, nutrition and fitness not to be ranked in terms of hotness and find out who thinks I'm sexy.

Had the gym gawker one time too. Bothered me to the point I changed machines halfway through my cardio.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    At my age, I welcome the gym gawker - as long as it's a male! :-D
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    SORRY O..O