Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    get-that-corn-outta-my-face-o.gif
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I love corn. I eat it canned, frozen, on the cob, baby corn in stir-frys, corn bread.... yummy. I always figured it was good for you cause it's high in fiber. No? I've heard from some people that's it's not good for you, but I still don't understand why.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Corn is weird. It needs human intervention in order to grow and it has gotten insanely good at getting people to grow it; we grow a friggin' lot of it! Humans and corn truly have a symbiosis. Michael Pollan writes about corn in 'The Omnivore's Dilemma'.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    jwolford90 wrote: »
    Most sites that I see recommend 1200, so that's what I've been following. No need for condescending comments lol. I do appreciate the concern though. I will look into the proper amount. Also, thanks for the input on the corn ^_^

I've yet to come across a site that recommends 1200 calories for a 25 year old male. That is the minimum for a small framed, short, sedentary, female.

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I agree with the French on this one.... Corn is fed to cows to make them fat....

which equals big steaks. therefore, corn = good.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I love corn. I eat it canned, frozen, on the cob, baby corn in stir-frys, corn bread.... yummy. I always figured it was good for you cause it's high in fiber. No? I've heard from some people that's it's not good for you, but I still don't understand why.

Some people don't like carbs. Corn has lots of carbs. It's also in lots of stuff in some form or another, so some people don't like it for that reason, although it's hardly the poor corn on the cob's fault.

I like carbs fine, and I love corn.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The only issue I see is that it came out of a can. Throw that ish on the grill.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Corn is healthy..except when prepared like this
    chocolate-covered-corn-dog.jpg
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    ever really looked at the difference between corn fed and grass fed beef? Never eat corn fed again. so as for corn...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    My views on corn?

Jersey Silver Queen or gtfo.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    ever really looked at the difference between corn fed and grass fed beef? Never eat corn fed again. so as for corn...

One has more fat and so it tastes better, I think. I saw a thing.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My views on corn?

Jersey Silver Queen or gtfo.

Silver queen is awesome!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Corn is weird. It needs human intervention in order to grow and it has gotten insanely good at getting people to grow it; we grow a friggin' lot of it! Humans and corn truly have a symbiosis. Michael Pollan writes about corn in 'The Omnivore's Dilemma'.

Well, that's hardly the corn's fault. We bred it to be like that. And it's delicious (esp. with some butter melted on it!). But yup, come the zombie apocalypse that stuff is a goner without people planting it, so get it while you can folks!!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

You make corn sound like a sentient being with malicious intent.
    It's just corn.

Evil, evil corn. Mwahahahaha.
  • digity79
    digity79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have heard mixed about corn too. What I have learned fairly recently, that makes the most sense to me, is I would count corn as your starch, not your veggie. Just be mindful of that. It helped me considerably, because I love corn, especially in the summer.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    IKR?? It gets such a bad rap, but it's delicious. Also, no popcorn without corn. So many mfp threads require popcorn.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    corn is yummy...it won't kill you. You could eat so much worse...mmmm corn :smile:
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

You make corn sound like a sentient being with malicious intent.
    It's just corn.

Nah, I didn't. That's just your interpretation. You're just human. Corn is a grass.