What's your secret!!

Options

Replies

• kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Eating low calorie-high nutrient foods, taking vitamins, and exercising daily.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Moderation!

Aka way too much pizza this weekend = gym, protein and veggies today!
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit but still eating the foods I like - just less of them. I work with a girl - she follows a strict diet and eats stuff she just hates, like broccoli, because it is "good for her" - then she stops, gains weight, and starts all over again. If I don't think I can keep up with what I am eating (like if I was eating stuff I hate just because it is healthy - like broccoli) once I have lost all the weight I want to lose, and if I will end up gaining it back, then what is the point.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I think when you do Paleo, you are naturally eating less calories without realizing it, hence the weight loss. I tried the Atkins once, and after I ate a whole chicken breast and some broccoli, I was full. Miserable, but full.

Not always true.

In the time that i still had my own garden, fresh meats, own eggs from my free ranch chickens and eat very healthy. I still ate to much.

It all comes down to counting.

That you can eat more of the green stuff ( ;) ) helps for sure. But not always helps to create a deficit when you do a certain diet
    Atkins in the time that you didn't count fruit would be a killer for me. I can eat fruit the whole day. Unlimited!!!! Avocados by the 10 lol ( almost 300 calories per avocado) hehehe :)

Are you telling me that you can eat over your calorie range and still lose weight, provided you are doing whole unprocessed foods?
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    I lost significant weight before I ever counted a calorie by choosing the the Paleo WOE. So you can "lol" away until your food scale breaks.

you mean you restricted a bunch of "bad" foods and replaced them with lower calorie ones?

Paleo had nothing to do with it…

So I am curious what did you Paleo diet consist of? Raw meat, grubs, etc?

Do you accessorize your food scale? Ya know, because you have to take it with you everywhere. You can give it a grey tank top and little black beanie. That would be cute!

typical...

when you did Paleo, did you run around in a loin cloth and spear all your food in the wild? I can play that game too ...

I'm proud to be Paleo! That's why I asked about your food scale. Are you proud of it? You put it in a little case, like a smart phone? Did you name it?
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The op asked what our secret was, I answered what worked for me, didn't preach. I didn't even choose the lifestyle for weight loss; I had medical reasons, but weight loss was a very welcome side effect.

So same as for us...your calorie deficit makes you lose weight.

Yes, I've been using the app long enough to know that first hand. It is definitely helping me lose the last few stubborn pounds. I'm still going to stick with my WOE, thank you very much.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I think when you do Paleo, you are naturally eating less calories without realizing it, hence the weight loss. I tried the Atkins once, and after I ate a whole chicken breast and some broccoli, I was full. Miserable, but full.

Not always true.

In the time that i still had my own garden, fresh meats, own eggs from my free ranch chickens and eat very healthy. I still ate to much.

That you can eat more of the green stuff ( ;) ) helps for sure. But not always helps to create a deficit when you do a certain diet
    Atkins in the time that you didn't count fruit would be a killer for me. I can eat fruit the whole day. Unlimited!!!! Avocados by the 10 lol ( almost 300 calories per avocado) hehehe :)

Are you telling me that you can eat over your calorie range and still lose weight, provided you are doing whole unprocessed foods?

no i am saying that even eating healthy that doesnt mean you lose weight

Deficit causes weight whatever you eat, carbs, no carbs, Paleo, no Paleo, sugar or no sugar, pizza, frys, cake whatever.
    As long as you eat in a deficit.

• Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Exercise, discipline, and moderation!
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options

Not always true.

no i am saying that even eating healthy that doesnt mean you lose weight

Deficit causes weight whatever you eat, carbs, no carbs, Paleo, no Paleo, sugar or no sugar, pizza, frys, cake whatever.
    As long as you eat in a deficit.
    ok, well that's what I said in my post, but you said that's not always true. I was confused. I was basically saying that as long as you are in a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    you said most of the time you eat naturally less And i just said not always Like a person as me...i didnt eat less of the "healthy stuff" ;)
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    you said most of the time you eat naturally less And i just said not always Like a person as me...i didnt eat less of the "healthy stuff" ;)

oh ok.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kvanae wrote: »
    Tell me what has been successful for you on your weight loss journey!!

I eat fewer calories than I burn.

Yep ... it's that simple.

Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone. It's a secret! :smiley:

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I stopped being a lazy-ar$e when it came to counting calories and moving more

it's a great trick
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Consistency
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    The op asked what our secret was, I answered what worked for me, didn't preach. I didn't even choose the lifestyle for weight loss; I had medical reasons, but weight loss was a very welcome side effect. I wonder if someone answered that being vegetarian was their secret, would that answer bring the same hostility?

As a vegetarian of 22 years, yep, I'd lol pretty damn hard at anyone who said that.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    eating in a calorie deficit
    hitting macro/micros
    having a food scale
    realizing that no foods are bad and they can all be enjoyed in moderation

Pretty much this.

Also? Just having gotten to a point in my life where I've conquered the demons of my past. I had a lot of emotional issues that I sort of soothed with eating that I needed to deal with, and it took learning to deal constructively with my emotions to get to a point where I could then deal constructively with food.

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Never listening to that little voice still saying "You are fat and will stay that way forever". Not beating myself up when I stumble, be it eating outside what I have committed to eat or not exercising enough. Not listening to those around me who have negative comments to say even though I am really losing weight and getting fitter, leaner, healthier and looking younger and fresher.
    Biggest secret of all. My MFP friends, my group of gals and you guys here in the main forums. Learning from those who have already finished the race and are maintaining.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I get asked this by my family so i say

Do what you would tell a small child to do if they asked how to be healthy - eat sensibly, eat a variety, exercise.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I lost significant weight before I ever counted a calorie by choosing the the Paleo WOE. So you can "lol" away until your food scale breaks.

The thing is... No WOE guarantees that you're going to lose weight.

I ate paleo before Cordain wrote the book on it and didn't lose weight. Neanderthin came out in the '90's, and that's what I followed. Why didn't I lose weight? I ate too many nuts and too much avocado. Simple. Too many calories, no weight loss.

So, you can bang the drum all day about your "secret", but that's not what's really doing it for you. It might be a naturally satiating group of foods for you, and if it is? Great. But make no mistake, you're simply creating a calorie deficit.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

The thing is... No WOE guarantees that you're going to lose weight.

I ate paleo before Cordain wrote the book on it and didn't lose weight. Neanderthin came out in the '90's, and that's what I followed. Why didn't I lose weight? I ate too many nuts and too much avocado. Simple. Too many calories, no weight loss.

So, you can bang the drum all day about your "secret", but that's not what's really doing it for you. It might be a naturally satiating group of foods for you, and if it is? Great. But make no mistake, you're simply creating a calorie deficit.

So in other words, the poster finds it easy to maintain a calorie deficit by following the paleo WOE – that's useful information. Constantly banging on about how all you need to do is have a calorie deficit isn't doing any more than stating the obvious. Everyone knows that, but clearly not everyone finds it easy to do (hence the need for sites like this) and following certain food plans helps some people to achieve it.

Personally I'm finding it much easier to create a calorie deficit on a low-carb diet. I feel more full and am not tempted to binge on sugary crap.
This discussion has been closed.