What's your secret!!

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My diet isn't that far from paleo, but I'd just as soon be fat and die early as give up tortillas and ice cream so I'll never be willing to close that gap.

same here but I call it eating nom food..except mine is chocolate and potatoes (I live in the same county McCain foods head quarters is) oh and pasta and bread and drinking and cake and cookies....you get the idea.
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    RUNNING! Regular exercise helps control my appetite and keeps me feeling healthy. If I go more than a day or two without exercise in a row, I see myself start making bad food choices and indulging more than I should. When I am focusing on fueling my exercise and trying to move my body, it feels much more natural for me eat healthier food that works with my running.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Isn't exercise just helping create a calorie deficit too? Why bash someone just because she said eating a certain way was part of their journey to weight loss? Several people on here are making it sound like there is just one right answer. The math may be the same for all, but journey most certainly is not.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Isn't exercise just helping create a calorie deficit too? Why bash someone just because someone said eating a certain way was part of their journey to weight loss? Several people on here are making it sound like there is just one right answer. The math may be the same for all, but journey most certainly is not.

There is one answer but there are many ways to get to the same answer..

That answer is calorie deficit. How you get there is different.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I lost significant weight before I ever counted a calorie by choosing the the Paleo WOE. So you can "lol" away until your food scale breaks.

The thing is... No WOE guarantees that you're going to lose weight.

I ate paleo before Cordain wrote the book on it and didn't lose weight. Neanderthin came out in the '90's, and that's what I followed. Why didn't I lose weight? I ate too many nuts and too much avocado. Simple. Too many calories, no weight loss.

So, you can bang the drum all day about your "secret", but that's not what's really doing it for you. It might be a naturally satiating group of foods for you, and if it is? Great. But make no mistake, you're simply creating a calorie deficit.

So in other words, the poster finds it easy to maintain a calorie deficit by following the paleo WOE – that's useful information. Constantly banging on about how all you need to do is have a calorie deficit isn't doing any more than stating the obvious. Everyone knows that, but clearly not everyone finds it easy to do (hence the need for sites like this) and following certain food plans helps some people to achieve it.

Personally I'm finding it much easier to create a calorie deficit on a low-carb diet. I feel more full and am not tempted to binge on sugary crap.

the point is paleo is totally unnecessary for anything, and is totally ridiculous because no one really eats how people did 10,000 years ago ...

ETA - as paleo is totally unnecessary for weight loss it is not a "secret" for losing weight ...

Exactly. It's just one way some people find of creating a deficit. So is low carb. It's not a weight loss "secret". The deficit created is.

PS... the problem you all have with binging on sugar? That's a BEHAVIORAL issue. Stop blaming the food. You can pull out all the dopamine blah blah blah you want, but until we see people compulsively raiding pet stores to pet puppies, I'll stick with the idea that you can get control of your impulse to eat hyper-palatable foods simply because they're tasty and learn to eat them in moderation. OR not. If that's your choice. But it's not the food's fault... it's yours.
    Blaming someone for having a mental illness is just as nasty and judgmental as blaming someone for having any other physical illness. You don't think genetics, hormones, and chemistry play into afflictions affecting the mind? Is the brain somehow separate from all other organ systems?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kvanae wrote: »
    Tell me what has been successful for you on your weight loss journey!!

Setting a reasonable goal of losing 1 lb per week and being patient. Expecting that I will probably get to my goal weight in another year not in a month. Not setting a deadline date to lose weight by. Not dieting to fit into a piece of clothing.
    Pre logging my whole day- every day. Logging honestly and trying to be accurate.
    Eating food I like every day. Not really changing what I eat much but eating smaller portions of higher calorie stuff. Really painless and sustainable for life.
    Regular moderate exercise. No spending hours at it.
    Appreciating my non-scale progress.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I lost significant weight before I ever counted a calorie by choosing the the Paleo WOE. So you can "lol" away until your food scale breaks.

I ate paleo before Cordain wrote the book on it and didn't lose weight. Neanderthin came out in the '90's, and that's what I followed. Why didn't I lose weight? I ate too many nuts and too much avocado. Simple. Too many calories, no weight loss.

So, you can bang the drum all day about your "secret", but that's not what's really doing it for you. It might be a naturally satiating group of foods for you, and if it is? Great. But make no mistake, you're simply creating a calorie deficit.

So in other words, the poster finds it easy to maintain a calorie deficit by following the paleo WOE – that's useful information. Constantly banging on about how all you need to do is have a calorie deficit isn't doing any more than stating the obvious. Everyone knows that, but clearly not everyone finds it easy to do (hence the need for sites like this) and following certain food plans helps some people to achieve it.

Personally I'm finding it much easier to create a calorie deficit on a low-carb diet. I feel more full and am not tempted to binge on sugary crap.

the point is paleo is totally unnecessary for anything, and is totally ridiculous because no one really eats how people did 10,000 years ago ...

ETA - as paleo is totally unnecessary for weight loss it is not a "secret" for losing weight ...

Exactly. It's just one way some people find of creating a deficit. So is low carb. It's not a weight loss "secret". The deficit created is.

PS... the problem you all have with binging on sugar? That's a BEHAVIORAL issue. Stop blaming the food. You can pull out all the dopamine blah blah blah you want, but until we see people compulsively raiding pet stores to pet puppies, I'll stick with the idea that you can get control of your impulse to eat hyper-palatable foods simply because they're tasty and learn to eat them in moderation. OR not. If that's your choice. But it's not the food's fault... it's yours.
    Blaming someone for having a mental illness is just as nasty and judgmental as blaming someone for having any other physical illness. You don't think genetics, hormones, and chemistry play into afflictions affecting the mind? Is the brain somehow separate from all other organ systems?
    You should look into "begging the question" then stop doing it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eating less and moving more have been most helpful for me. Also, figuring out what works for me as opposed to what works best for other people. Finally, just sticking to the program even when the results slow. Just keep on keeping on.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Never listening to that little voice still saying "You are fat and will stay that way forever". Not beating myself up when I stumble, be it eating outside what I have committed to eat or not exercising enough. Not listening to those around me who have negative comments to say even though I am really losing weight and getting fitter, leaner, healthier and looking younger and fresher.
    Biggest secret of all. My MFP friends, my group of gals and you guys here in the main forums. Learning from those who have already finished the race and are maintaining.

^This. Best response yet.
  • miriamtob
    Options

I'm not the one doing it.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

still no food list for paleo?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I'm not the one doing it.
    You're the one asserting mental illness. You need to support the assertion.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Education, honesty, and a food scale are my secrets. Education so I can truly know what my body needs and how to achieve a deficit, honesty so that I don't pretend I burn more or eat less than I really do, a food scale so I can be accurate on the intake side.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    Isn't exercise just helping create a calorie deficit too? Why bash someone just because she said eating a certain way was part of their journey to weight loss? Several people on here are making it sound like there is just one right answer. The math may be the same for all, but journey most certainly is not.

Sexystef, why don't you answer my second question here?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

challenging does not equal bashing.

You referenced Paleo as a secret to weight loss, which is being disputed as Paleo is totally unnecessary for weight loss, or anything else for that matter.

But if you want to list the food list for Paleo so we can better assess it then feel free, as this has only been requested several times...
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    What's my secret? Food scale...they are cheap and effective
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Sexystef, why don't you answer my second question here?

Cause i asked first...but since we know we won't get an answer as there is no definitive list...

but because I can answer your question I will..

I did not bash anyone (and if you feel I did please quote it)...Paleo, as it is laid out, in many random forms does not guarantee weight loss at all so it's not a "secret" to weight loss...it is a choice to eliminate certain food types...

All Paleo guarantees is a mish mash of what you can and can't eat which leads most to frustration and eventually they fall off the weight loss wagon only to get back on and start counting calories
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Here is Paleo poster's diet yesterday: Not that I am an expert on Paleo, but some of this stuff has milk, and is processed so can't be Paleo:

Breakfast
    Organic - 2 Jumbo Eggs, 2 eggs jumbo
    Teas' Tea - Jasmine Green Tea (Unsweetened), 8 oz (240ml) would this be Paleo?

Lunch
    Acac - Muscle up, no way this is Paleo????

Dinner
    Slow Cooker (or not) Ham & Veggie Soup from Cook Smarts, 1.25 serving(s) Ham would not be Paleo (cured)

Snacks
    Generic - 5 Baby Carrots, Raw, 5 baby cut sticks
    Hershey's Hugs - Milk Chocolate Kisses Hugged In White Creme, Not even close to Paleo
    Strawberry - Strawberry, 2 med
    Turkey breast meat, 1 serving This may be Paleo if it is not processed mechanically separated turkey

Hmmmm Paleolithic people had slow cookers????

Bahahaha.

I did the Paleo thing once upon a time right before it got super trendy. One of my friends did it, and like a lot of the Paleo-4-lyfers I know, he was shouting from the mountaintops that if I wanted to get healthy I needed to jump on the bandwagon.

So I emptied my cupboards of things I love...I tossed all of my regular white flour, got some almond flour and stocked up on a zillion types of "healthy oils", learned the difference from a legume and a bean (peanuts are the devil apparently), bought a bunch of spinach and artichoke hearts and broccoli and all sorts of other things I deep down hated but was told what I needed to eat, bought a truckload of grass fed meat and then promptly realized that I can't afford this diet. And that it wasn't sustainable. And that I think I might have the meat sweats. I lasted a month before I gave in.

I will say that the one good thing I learned from the Paleo diet is that I love "Paleo" margaritas! For me, it's Don Julio a splash of soda and fresh squeezed lime.

Because cavemen had Don Julio and carbonated water at the ready.

Anyway, it didn't work. And since I didn't have a calorie deficit, I ended up gaining.

What works for me (which won't work for everyone) are the following:
    - Accurately track and log everything (FWIW, I named my scale Pedro and while it doesn't have it's own fun case, I can toss it in my purse when I'm feeling fancy)
    - Enjoy the things I love in moderation making sure to work it into my calorie and macro goals
    - Exercise (I like going to the gym and I'm training for an open water distance swim. Find something you love to do, OP. You'll be more likely to stick with it)
    - Be kind to myself. I had to learn after being frustrated with the (inevitable) plateaus and small gains that weight loss isn't linear. I didn't get to my starting weight overnight...so I'm not going to get there immediately.

Above all, CICO. That's your magic trick. That's it. Whatever you decide, make sure you're burning more calories than you are taking in.
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    CICO

THIS!! It really is that simple!
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    I will say that the one good thing I learned from the Paleo diet is that I love "Paleo" margaritas! For me, it's Don Julio a splash of soda and fresh squeezed lime.
    What is this? Auschwitz? Five ingredients. Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, ice, kosher salt.
This discussion has been closed.