Views on corn?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Corn is yummy, but it doesn't make it to my plate very often, either. Just doesn't fit my macros well, and have to give up other things to make it work.

Nothing even remotely wrong with leaving it off of your regular menu....
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    jwolford90 wrote: »
    I've heard mixed reviews about corn. I have no idea what to believe. I follow a 1200 calorie diet but I had a major craving today and ate two cans of corn (yes I was THAT hungry lol). I am still under my daily calories but should I avoid splurging on that in the future? I assumed eating corn was a healthier substitute than eating a sandwich, breads, etc.

Just remember, corn is not a vegetable. It is a grain. For your calculations. it is the same thing as eating bread, since it is a carb.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    jwolford90 wrote: »
    I've heard mixed reviews about corn. I have no idea what to believe. I follow a 1200 calorie diet but I had a major craving today and ate two cans of corn (yes I was THAT hungry lol). I am still under my daily calories but should I avoid splurging on that in the future? I assumed eating corn was a healthier substitute than eating a sandwich, breads, etc.

I am Pro-Corn and have on occasion been known to eat it as my dinner. Also my aunt once got me a case of canned corn because I love it so much.

Also this is one of my favorite birthday cards to give people of all time (although based on this image they changed it a little bit since I bought it - it used to just be "I love corn" not "I love corn on the cob") so yeah I say eat the corn if you want it.

stephanie-likes-corn-on-the-cob-dr-heckle-funny-happy-birthday-card.jpg?w=750
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Corn is weird. It needs human intervention in order to grow and it has gotten insanely good at getting people to grow it; we grow a friggin' lot of it! Humans and corn truly have a symbiosis. Michael Pollan writes about corn in 'The Omnivore's Dilemma'.

You make corn sound like a sentient being with malicious intent.
    It's just corn.

Nah, I didn't. That's just your interpretation. You're just human. Corn is a grass.

I'm not the one who described corn as "gotten insanely good" at getting humans to grow it. You humanized it, or more probably, demonized it. For whatever reason

Oh geez, you are just ready to jump down my throat at every turn just because we may have expressed different opinions on other threads. Chill out, take your troll goggles off, and get a sense of humor. It's just corn. I'm sharing my views on it. I like purple corn.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Corn is weird. It needs human intervention in order to grow and it has gotten insanely good at getting people to grow it; we grow a friggin' lot of it! Humans and corn truly have a symbiosis. Michael Pollan writes about corn in 'The Omnivore's Dilemma'.

It's just corn.

Nah, I didn't. That's just your interpretation. You're just human. Corn is a grass.

I'm not the one who described corn as "gotten insanely good" at getting humans to grow it. You humanized it, or more probably, demonized it.

Wow.

That's one hell of a reach.

:smiley:
  • mccindy72
    Options

What the *kitten*? Well how did it grow in the first place? Magic little golden nuggets from heaven?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

It's just corn.

I'm not the one who described corn as "gotten insanely good" at getting humans to grow it. You humanized it, or more probably, demonized it. For whatever reason

Oh geez, you are just ready to jump down my throat at every turn just because we may have expressed different opinions on other threads. Chill out, take your troll goggles off, and get a sense of humor. It's just corn. I'm sharing my views on it. I like purple corn.

LOLOL
    What?
    I don't even know who you are.

someone has a stalker…..
  • mccindy72
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

It's just corn.

LOLOL
    What?
    I don't even know who you are.

someone has a stalker…..

A CORN STALKER.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

What the *kitten*? Well how did it grow in the first place? Magic little golden nuggets from heaven?

Read the book, 'the Omnivore's Dilemma'. He explains it pretty well. You can read about its origin here too: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize
  • mccindy72
    Options

Read the book, 'the Omnivore's Dilemma'. He explains it pretty well. You can read about its origin here too: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

Sorry, random book reference and Wikipedia. Not credible sources. People didn't invent corn from nothing. That's not possible.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    Then look it up in encyclopedia Britannica! I don't care. It's a *kitten* interesting plant is all I'm trying to say!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Then look it up in encyclopedia Britannica! I don't care. It's a *kitten* interesting plant is all I'm trying to say!

no, you said that humans invented corn and corn made people grow it in mass quantities.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Sorry, random book reference and Wikipedia. Not credible sources. People didn't invent corn from nothing. That's not possible.

Doing this from memory - the wild antecedent of maize is teosinte, and it took a hell of a long time for that to be established because it is so vastly different from domesticated maize. At some point, people started utilising this ancestor, eventually cultivating it, which led to domestication through selecting for desirable traits such as bigger kernels and greater indehiscence (ie kernels that don't fall off when you harvest the ears). Corn has now been bred to be so indehiscent that it is essentially reliant on humans to plant it in order to continue existing :) (or :( from the corn's point of view, if it had one).

Also, it is delicious.
  • janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob is a staple in my house in summer and popcorn year round. I have maintained my desired weight loss this way! I find it waaaay superior to anything wheat-y. I say enjoy!
  • Mr_Knight
    edited May 2015
    Options

no, you said that humans invented corn and corn made people grow it in mass quantities.

No, the poster did not say humans "invented" corn - the poster said modern corn can't grow without human intervention.

Which is actually true - something like 99.9% of the corn grown on this planet can't reseed itself, if left on its own. Without human intervention, what we now call "corn" will pretty much go extinct.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

No, the poster did not say humans "invented" corn - the poster said modern corn can't grow without human intervention.

Which is actually true - something like 99.9% of the corn grown on this planet can't reseed itself, if left on its own. Without human intervention, what we now call "corn" will pretty much go extinct.

And it's really interesting: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/selection/corn/