Is 1300 avg cal per day too little??

Options
RemonS9X
RemonS9X Posts: 6 Member
So I've been using Mfp for about a week now and after seeing my sugar and fat intake being 2-3 times the daily goal I reduced my intake of both to match the goal. However now I'm averaging about 1300 calories per day. I only eat raw fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds and workout daily for 30-60min. With these workouts I'm usually below my calorie goal by 500-900 calories. I don't feel hungry or unsatisfied and in fact I feel fuller most of the time but I wanted to make sure that the 1300 cal avg per day I've been hitting would affect my workouts or be detrimental to me in the long run

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    That sounds like your fats could be too low.
  • RemonS9X
    Options
    I'm averaging about 60g per day
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    RemonS9X wrote: »
    So I've been using Mfp for about a week now and after seeing my sugar and fat intake being 2-3 times the daily goal I reduced my intake of both to match the goal. However now I'm averaging about 1300 calories per day. I only eat raw fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds and workout daily for 30-60min. With these workouts I'm usually below my calorie goal by 500-900 calories. I don't feel hungry or unsatisfied and in fact I feel fuller most of the time but I wanted to make sure that the 1300 cal avg per day I've been hitting would affect my workouts or be detrimental to me in the long run

Yes, it is too low. You are a young man and need the calories. What are your current weight and height?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Yes, it is too low. You are a young man and need the calories. What are your current weight and height?

^^^This. It sounds like probably about 1/2 the calories you should be getting.
  • RemonS9X
    Options
    I'm about 5'7 and weigh roughly 163 lbs
  • jemhh
    Options
    I was hoping you were about 4'5" and 105.

Since you are not, I stand by what I said before. Eat more. I am literally twice your age and a woman and an inch shorter and eat 600+ calories more than you eat day and lose about a pound a week. There's NO reason for you to be eating that little.

Don't worry about your sugar goal. I'd say eat 65+ grams of fat and 130+ grams of protein per day. Those are minimums so the rest can come from carbs, more fat, or more protein.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Google TDEE Calculator and use it to estimate based on your age, weight, height and activity level what your base metabolic rate is. If you're trying to lose weight you should be targeting 500-750 below that number/day. It also helps to underestimate your activity level.

I think it's safe to say you're on the low side, but without knowing more I wouldn't guess what number you should be getting.

• jemhh
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Google TDEE Calculator and use it to estimate based on your age, weight, height and activity level what your base metabolic rate is. If you're trying to lose weight you should be targeting 500-750 below that number/day. It also helps to underestimate your activity level.

I think it's safe to say you're on the low side, but without knowing more I wouldn't guess what number you should be getting.

I don't get this. Why do we tell people who are new to trying MFP to screw up their calculations on purpose? Why don't we tell them to use the plan as written (i.e., estimate activity level as accurately as possible), try it a few weeks, and then make changes from there?
  • laffytaffy999
    laffytaffy999 Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you feel fine, and your goal is to lose weight .... there isn't anything wrong for doing few weeks with it as long as you're very careful with nutrition... ones to watch out are calcium and iron. However, you cannot main such a deficit when you get to a healthy weight and you will need more protein if you want to build muscle... which is quite possible since you mentioned workouts.

Your metabolism will also slow by 10 percent after doing this for a while...but it doesn't sound like you have that much weight to lose? A lot of people can go low calorie for a week or two but then begin to feel very tired , cold and can't concentrate - this indicates non optimal leptin and need to eat a maintenance for a day or two to feel normal again.

The problem is, when you have a diet so dramatically different to your maintenance - it becomes harder to keep the weight off/ maintain a healthy diet afterwards as you haven't learnt a healthy balance whilst losing weight . Are you vegan? Why are you also excluding, grains, beans and potatoes?
  • RemonS9X
    Options
    I'm pretty much a raw vegan plus I don't eat anything processed, dried, and no grain. I've been doing this for about 3 1/2 years and haven't had any adverse effects. Also I have been carefully monitoring my calcium, iron, and potassium to make sure I'm getting healthy amounts. My profile is set to public if any of you would like to view my habits.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I just took a peek at your diary. Based on the fact that you don’t weigh your fruit, veggies, or nuts, I’d like to point out that you’re probably eating more than you think. Frankly, I hope you’re getting more than 1,300, as that number is fairly low for a male. I would highly recommend you get a kitchen scale (cheap on amazon) and weigh everything. Nuts and fruit are particularly calorie-dense, and cups/generic sizes are generally poor approximations.

I’d also try to make sure you're getting enough protein. 1g/lb of lean body mass is a general recommendation, and protein is important to help hold on to muscle while you’re losing weight. To that end, weight training would also be beneficial.

Aside from that, your dietary choices are your own, so I won’t question why you choose a raw vegan diet.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well alrighty than.

1300 calories is still to low, your TDEE is still over 2000 calories per day.

Which brings me to another question, if you've been doing this for 3 1/2 years, how much weight have you lost?
  • cfpcyclist
    cfpcyclist Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What is the long term impact of the original poster if he continues this tread?
  • RemonS9X
    Options
    I actually ordered a kitchen scale recently for that very reason. Also I haven't really lost much of any weight on this diet, I have a problem of overeating so even with this diet unless I calorie and nutrient count I gain weight
  • Emilia777
    Options
    I actually ordered a kitchen scale recently for that very reason. Also I haven't really lost much of any weight on this diet, I have a problem of overeating so even with this diet unless I calorie and nutrient count I gain weight

I think that will really help. And I’d recommend you set a realistic and non-aggressive weight loss goal, so 1 lb/ week at most. This requires a daily deficit of 500 calories. Half a pound a week is even better, if you’re good and patient.

If you’re setting custom goals on MFP, I’d suggest using the calculator here to estimate how many calories you burn every day and figure out your caloric intake. With accurate tracking, the weight will definitely come off.

P.S. Okay, I can’t help myself: I want to respect your dietary choice, but I just hope you know it’s not necessary to lose weight. I was a vegetarian for almost a year in my youth because I thought it was better in every way - fortunately I now have the wisdom of age on my side (lol) and, in my view, moderation is all that really matters. I just hope you’re happy with your dietary choices and aren’t doing it because you think it’s the only way :smile:
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »

I don't get this. Why do we tell people who are new to trying MFP to screw up their calculations on purpose? Why don't we tell them to use the plan as written (i.e., estimate activity level as accurately as possible), try it a few weeks, and then make changes from there?

I do it because I wish someone had told me to do it when I first started. Estimating one thing led me to estimating other things, which did not help. Why estimate vaguely (are you MFP Active or MFP Sedentary?) when you can estimate more accurately with some of the better TDEE calculators? Or, if it is ok to vaguely estimate activity, what is so wrong with vaguely estimating portion sizes rather than weighing them to the gram?

Sorry for the derail, OP. I have nothing for ya, because better minds than mine have contributed real answers. I reckon you could use some more cals, but that's just opinion.
  • RemonS9X
    Options
    That's true, and I know this diet doesn't do much in the way of weight loss but I do feel better on it and I end up eating tons of veggies because of it, which is always good. In any case I'm definitely going to increase my calorie and protein intake to more respectable levels and begin including cooked beans and lentils to do so. Thank you all so much for your advice, I truly appreciate the help!!
  • Emilia777
    Options
    You plan sounds awesome, and I’m happy to see you have such a positive attitude. I’m a HUGE fan of lentils. And lentils and rice apparently form a complete protein! Mujadara is one of my fave dishes, though it’s not raw. Anyway, best of luck to you :smile:
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    You plan sounds awesome, and I’m happy to see you have such a positive attitude. I’m a HUGE fan of lentils. And lentils and rice apparently form a complete protein! Mujadara is one of my fave dishes, though it’s not raw. Anyway, best of luck to you :smile:

One of my favorite dinner combinations. As a matter of fact, it's what I'm eating now. :wink:
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

One of my favorite dinner combinations. As a matter of fact, it's what I'm eating now. :wink:

Nice!! I recently discovered it and it blew my mind :smile: So yummy!