Look at my food diary....and let me have it.

Options

Replies

• acave9406
    acave9406 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    One thing I am desperately confused about. I was told not eating enough calories puts your body in "starvation mode". but if I dont eat sugary things I barely make it to 1200 calories a day.....how can I fix this? Especially since i'm hardly ever hungry and when I do it my meals are considerably small?

Think my head will explode from all of this:explode:
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I have a really tough time getting in enough protein because I really don't like meat that much. I eat it and I don't have anything against it, I just get sick of eating it.

So, my thoughts on your food diary, basically the same as everyone else. Definitely add more fruits and veggies, get your calories from whole foods whenever possible. Try to eat more protein, I would start tracking your sodium in your diary too because the processed foods you're eating are probably very high in sodium and as others have mentioned will make you retain water.

Here are some protein suggestions, not sure if you like all of them but maybe something will help:

String cheese
    Peanut Butter
    Tuna
    Beans
    Veggie Burgers ( I love boca burgers & morningstar)
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    protein shakes or bars
    will you eat turkey or ham deli meats? It's something easy and high in protein, but don't eat too much because there is also a lot of sodium.

I know you mentioned that you were trying to eat higher calorie stuff to meet your requirements, but you could eat more nutritionally balanced foods that are high in calories that will be healthier for your body and lower in sodium too and then also go back to eating your fruits & veggies. Good Luck!!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just eat 6 small meals a day instead of trying to eat as much as you can in three meals? If you don't like meat - Don't eat it. Replace it with nuts, legumes, and beans. Figure out what you like to eat out and make it yourself at home. I noticed you got coleslaw at chic fil a, you can make that yourself and probably nix all the bad stuff that a fast food chain will put in it. It's a step by step process. I would start by revamping one meal a week. Say this week don't eat anything processed for breakfast and then the next week change up your lunch.
  • dwilliam116
    dwilliam116 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Stop the Ramen noodles.....very high sodium and TRANS FAT.....pure crap.
  • acave9406
    Options
    Why don't you just eat 6 small meals a day instead of trying to eat as much as you can in three meals? If you don't like meat - Don't eat it. Replace it with nuts, legumes, and beans. Figure out what you like to eat out and make it yourself at home. I noticed you got coleslaw at chic fil a, you can make that yourself and probably nix all the bad stuff that a fast food chain will put in it. It's a step by step process. I would start by revamping one meal a week. Say this week don't eat anything processed for breakfast and then the next week change up your lunch.

Tried eating 6 small meals. Like i've said, i'm never hungry except maybe once a day and that's around lunch time, everything else i've forced to eat just to get the calories. I can't even finish a pack of crackers in one sitting. I'm just having a hard time getting the calories without all the sugar.
  • corysboredagain
    Options
    alright, let me be real with you for a minute, because i think you and i have a similar problem.

processed food stops weight loss. your body doesn't recognize it, and can't digest it, so instead, it just stores it.

it also seems you may not be filling your diary out completely honestly, or do you really eat your cereal without any milk and your french fries without ketchup or bbq sauce or some kind of dipping sauce?

basically everything you eat comes out of a box or a package and gets mixed or fried or something else that isn't ideal.

you also need to try and throw out everything you think about what foods you like and dislike, and open your mind to new things. this will help you sooo sooo much. eating the same things over and over slows the metabolism because it already knows what to expect.

also try varrying your calorie intake for a week, do a 1200 day, a 1600 day, a 1400 day, a 1800 day, a 1300 day and drink plenty of water!

you need more at breakfast. breakfast "sets" the body into gear for what it will burn most efficiently the rest of the day. since you say you want to tone up, you're going to want to add a few healthy fats to breakfast.

instead of packaged shake try this:

2 egg whites, scrambled in 2 tsp olive oil with chopped tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and spinach
    lay them on a slice of whole wheat toast with fresh avocado slices
    8 oz of milk (try a 2 %, skim, or fat free)

the healthy fats in the avocados and olive oil will help your body burn fat more efficiently, so you'll be better prepared to burn fats throughout the day.

cereal for lunch is just, not good. especially something as sugar rich as cinnamon toast crunch (though i admit, i do indulge in a bowl about once a month cause i love it.) having that much sugar in your system (2 cups, WOW!) will send your pancreas spinning and you'll slowly develop a resistance to insulin, the hormone that turns sugars into energy, and you'll feel like crap 24/7

instead of cereal try this:

1/2 cup brown rice
    1/2 cup black beans
    1 tsp mexican cheese blend
    2 tblspns fresh salsa
    1/2 cup banana peppers
    1/2 cup jalapenos
    1/2 cup guacamole (made from leftover avocados from breakfast, with some salt and a squeeze of lemon)
    1 cup spinach and/or mixed greens
    spinkle of cayenne pepper
    (all mixed in bowl)

this is a tortilla-less spin on a taco salad. the avocado will help you continue to burn fats, while the brown rice and black beans will keep you full throughout the day and the spicy flavor added from the banana peppers, jalapenos, and cayenne will kick your metabolism, because it has to work harder to cool the body down after eating hot foods.

chick-fil-a isn't a horrible meal...every once in a while. the nuggets are delicious and packed with protein, but just fries is awful, not to be rude. starches like fries are pretty much nutrient less... you're not going to get anything from them but fat.

your first option would be to go for the 8 piece nuggets instead, they're packed with protein and delicious, but swap the fries for the salad and the low fat balsamic dressing

a better option would be to make something at home. you'd save money and control what you're consuming, cutting out the preservatives found in all fast food.

try this instead

4 oz lean meat (i like tilapia or chicken breast) roasted in the oven with a little olive oil (i also like to smash up a whole wheat cracker and add some cilantro, basil, garlic powder, and cayenne and use it as a "bread crumb topping")
    1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta
    1/2 cup marinara
    1/2 cup spinach (added to marinara)
    1/2 cup mushrooms (added to marinara)
    1 slice whole wheat garlic bread (make it yourself with a few sprays of butter and some garlic powder)
    8 oz milk

if you like a sweet treat a banana mashed up with a tblspn of peanut butter or nutella and then served warm (in microwave) or cold (freeze for 20 minutes) is delicious.

i really hope that some of these suggestions work for you, but you're really going to have to get all those processed foods out of your diet, because you might be extremely sensitive to them like i am.
  • acave9406
    Options
    I have a really tough time getting in enough protein because I really don't like meat that much. I eat it and I don't have anything against it, I just get sick of eating it.

So, my thoughts on your food diary, basically the same as everyone else. Definitely add more fruits and veggies, get your calories from whole foods whenever possible. Try to eat more protein, I would start tracking your sodium in your diary too because the processed foods you're eating are probably very high in sodium and as others have mentioned will make you retain water.

Here are some protein suggestions, not sure if you like all of them but maybe something will help:

String cheese
    Peanut Butter
    Tuna
    Beans
    Veggie Burgers ( I love boca burgers & morningstar)
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    protein shakes or bars
    will you eat turkey or ham deli meats? It's something easy and high in protein, but don't eat too much because there is also a lot of sodium.

I know you mentioned that you were trying to eat higher calorie stuff to meet your requirements, but you could eat more nutritionally balanced foods that are high in calories that will be healthier for your body and lower in sodium too and then also go back to eating your fruits & veggies. Good Luck!!

Thank you.
  • acave9406
    Options
    alright, let me be real with you for a minute, because i think you and i have a similar problem.

processed food stops weight loss. your body doesn't recognize it, and can't digest it, so instead, it just stores it.

it also seems you may not be filling your diary out completely honestly, or do you really eat your cereal without any milk and your french fries without ketchup or bbq sauce or some kind of dipping sauce?

basically everything you eat comes out of a box or a package and gets mixed or fried or something else that isn't ideal.

you also need to try and throw out everything you think about what foods you like and dislike, and open your mind to new things. this will help you sooo sooo much. eating the same things over and over slows the metabolism because it already knows what to expect.

also try varrying your calorie intake for a week, do a 1200 day, a 1600 day, a 1400 day, a 1800 day, a 1300 day and drink plenty of water!

you need more at breakfast. breakfast "sets" the body into gear for what it will burn most efficiently the rest of the day. since you say you want to tone up, you're going to want to add a few healthy fats to breakfast.

instead of packaged shake try this:

2 egg whites, scrambled in 2 tsp olive oil with chopped tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and spinach
    lay them on a slice of whole wheat toast with fresh avocado slices
    8 oz of milk (try a 2 %, skim, or fat free)

the healthy fats in the avocados and olive oil will help your body burn fat more efficiently, so you'll be better prepared to burn fats throughout the day.

cereal for lunch is just, not good. especially something as sugar rich as cinnamon toast crunch (though i admit, i do indulge in a bowl about once a month cause i love it.) having that much sugar in your system (2 cups, WOW!) will send your pancreas spinning and you'll slowly develop a resistance to insulin, the hormone that turns sugars into energy, and you'll feel like crap 24/7

instead of cereal try this:

1/2 cup brown rice
    1/2 cup black beans
    1 tsp mexican cheese blend
    2 tblspns fresh salsa
    1/2 cup banana peppers
    1/2 cup jalapenos
    1/2 cup guacamole (made from leftover avocados from breakfast, with some salt and a squeeze of lemon)
    1 cup spinach and/or mixed greens
    spinkle of cayenne pepper
    (all mixed in bowl)

this is a tortilla-less spin on a taco salad. the avocado will help you continue to burn fats, while the brown rice and black beans will keep you full throughout the day and the spicy flavor added from the banana peppers, jalapenos, and cayenne will kick your metabolism, because it has to work harder to cool the body down after eating hot foods.

chick-fil-a isn't a horrible meal...every once in a while. the nuggets are delicious and packed with protein, but just fries is awful, not to be rude. starches like fries are pretty much nutrient less... you're not going to get anything from them but fat.

your first option would be to go for the 8 piece nuggets instead, they're packed with protein and delicious, but swap the fries for the salad and the low fat balsamic dressing

a better option would be to make something at home. you'd save money and control what you're consuming, cutting out the preservatives found in all fast food.

try this instead

4 oz lean meat (i like tilapia or chicken breast) roasted in the oven with a little olive oil (i also like to smash up a whole wheat cracker and add some cilantro, basil, garlic powder, and cayenne and use it as a "bread crumb topping")
    1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta
    1/2 cup marinara
    1/2 cup spinach (added to marinara)
    1/2 cup mushrooms (added to marinara)
    1 slice whole wheat garlic bread (make it yourself with a few sprays of butter and some garlic powder)
    8 oz milk

if you like a sweet treat a banana mashed up with a tblspn of peanut butter or nutella and then served warm (in microwave) or cold (freeze for 20 minutes) is delicious.

i really hope that some of these suggestions work for you, but you're really going to have to get all those processed foods out of your diet, because you might be extremely sensitive to them like i am.

In my diary, I am being completely honest, as I said before I am a very weird eater. My milk for my cereal gets counted as 1 cup under my drinks, and no I dont eat anything with the fries. If I eat how I normally have been for years I barely make it to 1200 calories a day because all i'll eat is apples and carrots all day long and maybe a nutrigrain bar. fills me up plenty but been told my body is in "starvation mode" and that's why I dont lose anything. Only reason why I normally dont make alot of things at home is because i'll be the only one eating and it it'll just go to waste. and I am far from wealthy and tossing out money just doesn't sound good to me. I really just want to find something that'll work for me. Only things I can think of is just not eat at all (dont want to cause it's far from healthy) or do what i've been doing.....neither are what I want to do.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Only reason why I normally dont make alot of things at home is because i'll be the only one eating and it it'll just go to waste.

Not sure if you cook at all, but if you could find some healthy recipes you'd think you would like, you can always make them and then freeze the leftovers in plastic containers. That way you can just grab one for lunch or dinner. Takes only a few mins in the microwave and then you wouldn't be eating so much processed food.

I'm not an expert but I believe that your metabolism has slowed down, which is why you aren't hungry and why you aren't losing any weight. I really hope you find something that works for you!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    First up, well done for coming here and being honest about what you are eating and looking for ways to make it better.

There are lots of great ideas in this thread, give some of them a try and you will be doing better already.
    You say you like fruit and carrots - but I don't see a single fresh fruit or vege in your diary.... just because you have been trying to make up more calories with fast food doesn't mean you should drop the fresh stuff, in fact I think it makes it even more important.

I understand that you don't get really hungry and don't like lots of foods. The way I see it is that you have two choices at this point in time:

1. Keep eating the way you have been and deal with the health consequences later. But, I'm guessing you are ready to change, because you are here!

2. Put on your big girl panties and change your diet to incorporate more calories of real nutritious food!! This doesn't mean that you have to eat meat, but if you chose not to, then you have to do some serious research to get enough nutrition out of the things that you can handle.

I think one really good way to get started when you have lots of changes to make is to take one step at a time.
    For example, what about replacing that shake you are having for breakfast with real food.
    You say you will eat scrambled eggs with cheese - great!! Go for it, you need more "realf food" calories anyway, so don't panic about the cheese. I love to put lots of veges in my scrambled eggs. Fresh baby spinach chopped up fine hardly tastes at all in scrambled eggs and has lots of good nutrients in it. You can scramble your eggs with any veges tha you can stomach and wrap them in a wholegrain tortilla for a bit of extra calories/carbs but still a small and easy to eat meal. In fact it feels more like a snack than a healthy brekky!

Or chop up some of those fruits that you love and add a bit of greek yoghurt (mix in a teaspoon of honey if you don't like it straight). Do you eat any nuts or muesli? Sprinkle some of these on top. Or top it with a little bit of the cerals that you like for some extra crunch. This is a great breakfast.

Or make a smoothie with fresh fruit and yoghurt and a bit of peanut butter or ground almonds. Extra cals and nutrition and delicious!!

Once you have breakfast under control, then move onto lunch... this way you have a small acheiveable target for the week.
    You can be proud of meeting this small goal, which gives you momentum to move onto the next thing.

Good luck, and once again, well done for deciding that you need to make a change.
  • acave9406
    Options
    Only reason why I normally dont make alot of things at home is because i'll be the only one eating and it it'll just go to waste.

Not sure if you cook at all, but if you could find some healthy recipes you'd think you would like, you can always make them and then freeze the leftovers in plastic containers. That way you can just grab one for lunch or dinner. Takes only a few mins in the microwave and then you wouldn't be eating so much processed food.

I'm not an expert but I believe that your metabolism has slowed down, which is why you aren't hungry and why you aren't losing any weight. I really hope you find something that works for you!

Thank you so much, I think my metabolism has slowed down severely.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Do you mind me asking your height and current weight and what your goal is?
  • acave9406
    Options
    First up, well done for coming here and being honest about what you are eating and looking for ways to make it better.

There are lots of great ideas in this thread, give some of them a try and you will be doing better already.
    You say you like fruit and carrots - but I don't see a single fresh fruit or vege in your diary.... just because you have been trying to make up more calories with fast food doesn't mean you should drop the fresh stuff, in fact I think it makes it even more important.

I understand that you don't get really hungry and don't like lots of foods. The way I see it is that you have two choices at this point in time:

1. Keep eating the way you have been and deal with the health consequences later. But, I'm guessing you are ready to change, because you are here!

2. Put on your big girl panties and change your diet to incorporate more calories of real nutritious food!! This doesn't mean that you have to eat meat, but if you chose not to, then you have to do some serious research to get enough nutrition out of the things that you can handle.

I think one really good way to get started when you have lots of changes to make is to take one step at a time.
    For example, what about replacing that shake you are having for breakfast with real food.
    You say you will eat scrambled eggs with cheese - great!! Go for it, you need more "realf food" calories anyway, so don't panic about the cheese. I love to put lots of veges in my scrambled eggs. Fresh baby spinach chopped up fine hardly tastes at all in scrambled eggs and has lots of good nutrients in it. You can scramble your eggs with any veges tha you can stomach and wrap them in a wholegrain tortilla for a bit of extra calories/carbs but still a small and easy to eat meal. In fact it feels more like a snack than a healthy brekky!

Or chop up some of those fruits that you love and add a bit of greek yoghurt (mix in a teaspoon of honey if you don't like it straight). Do you eat any nuts or muesli? Sprinkle some of these on top. Or top it with a little bit of the cerals that you like for some extra crunch. This is a great breakfast.

Or make a smoothie with fresh fruit and yoghurt and a bit of peanut butter or ground almonds. Extra cals and nutrition and delicious!!

Once you have breakfast under control, then move onto lunch... this way you have a small acheiveable target for the week.
    You can be proud of meeting this small goal, which gives you momentum to move onto the next thing.

Good luck, and once again, well done for deciding that you need to make a change.

Thank you! Might just have to go get me a blender and try out a smoothie. Never have been big on eating actual food in the morning which is why I normally just result in the shake. Some of the things you mentioned sound yummy, I do like peanuts like cocktail peanuts, cashews and pistachios. I know my diet isn't the best and I was a bit leery about being honest in my diary but I know doing that wont help me, so i put it out there because I really want this for myself, I never do anything for just me and I want that to change
  • acave9406
    Options
    Do you mind me asking your height and current weight and what your goal is?

I'm 5'5, 130 and trying to be 115. or 120.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    So your BMR is roughly around 1360. You have your cal intake at 1330 and you are eating your exercise calories back.

Being that close, you may want to have even smaller deficit. You aren't 50 pounds overweight, so your body is not going to be so willing to let go of a few pounds. So you might want to eat a little closer to maintenance since you are so close.

Also, being so close to your goal, maybe you should look at other ways to measure your progress - measurements, body fat percentage.

As far as your food choices, I can't really elaborate anymore than the others already have. I think you are eating way too many processed foods. I've never really been picky, however I did have to retrain myself to eat certain things when I started caring about what I was putting into my body.

Good luck!
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating nuts? Almonds/walnuts/pistachios/etc will increase your protein.
  • breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    totally agree.... wow!!!!
    there is like nothing nutritious in your diet.
    hun, you NEED water!!!! its the one weight loss key that every forgets about!
    you need fruit and veggies, i know they are high in calpries especially fruit but try have 2 pieces of fruit a day..
    those high sugar breakfast cerels, try rolled oats with a strude apple therefore you are getting low gi grains and fibre and also that piece of fruit you missing out on.
    i know you say your picky but you must like some fruit and veg??

goodluck i know how frsutrating it can be but you diet is your key downfall which is good at least you know you can fix it rather than be doing everything right and still not loosing!
    xx
  • corysboredagain
    Options
    [/quote]

In my diary, I am being completely honest, as I said before I am a very weird eater. My milk for my cereal gets counted as 1 cup under my drinks, and no I dont eat anything with the fries. If I eat how I normally have been for years I barely make it to 1200 calories a day because all i'll eat is apples and carrots all day long and maybe a nutrigrain bar. fills me up plenty but been told my body is in "starvation mode" and that's why I dont lose anything. Only reason why I normally dont make alot of things at home is because i'll be the only one eating and it it'll just go to waste. and I am far from wealthy and tossing out money just doesn't sound good to me. I really just want to find something that'll work for me. Only things I can think of is just not eat at all (dont want to cause it's far from healthy) or do what i've been doing.....neither are what I want to do.
    [/quote]

haha it's ok i didn't mean to come off rude its just a question you have to ask.

cooking for one isn't really hard once you get the hang of it! you actually will end up spending less because you're only making food for yourself, and you're not paying anyone else to make it for you (which is what you're doing when you buy fast food, frozen food, packaged shakes, boxed cereal, premade snacks, etc) my family makes nothing but fried meat and potatoes (southerners) and i chose not to eat those things and work a little harder. the week i cut out as much processed food as i could, i dropped 3.3 pounds.

almost everything i've listed here can be prepared in single serve portions. pasta, beans and rice don't go bad once you open the box or bag, so you can seal it back up for another day, or i prefer to make a 2-3 day portion of things like noodles and rice and store them in the fridge, that way it's even easier the next day to make a yummy meal.

shopping weekly will also save you money and ensure your produce is fresh. you can also swap out avocados for things like nuts, which are also a healthy fat in moderation and will jump start your metabolism for the day. lots of herbs and spices can be purchased dried as well, my grocer has a $1 herb and spice section, so i like to get them there since they're cheap and effective.

and anytime you can buy frozen veggies and fruit, it's a good option, because you're not really missing out on anything, and they'll make life easier and stretch your dollar!

i know it's hard, but try cutting down as much processed foods as possible for a week or two and you'll notice a difference.
  • corysboredagain
    Options
    another tip, for a week or two, weigh every morning and see what foods are sending the scale up and what is helping it go down, that way you can eliminate things a little more educatedly. once you notice a pattern in certain ups and downs in combination with your food diary, you can get rid of whatevers holding you back and replace it with something better.
  • acave9406
    Options

[/quote]

haha it's ok i didn't mean to come off rude its just a question you have to ask.

cooking for one isn't really hard once you get the hang of it! you actually will end up spending less because you're only making food for yourself, and you're not paying anyone else to make it for you (which is what you're doing when you buy fast food, frozen food, packaged shakes, boxed cereal, premade snacks, etc) my family makes nothing but fried meat and potatoes (southerners) and i chose not to eat those things and work a little harder. the week i cut out as much processed food as i could, i dropped 3.3 pounds.

almost everything i've listed here can be prepared in single serve portions. pasta, beans and rice don't go bad once you open the box or bag, so you can seal it back up for another day, or i prefer to make a 2-3 day portion of things like noodles and rice and store them in the fridge, that way it's even easier the next day to make a yummy meal.

shopping weekly will also save you money and ensure your produce is fresh. you can also swap out avocados for things like nuts, which are also a healthy fat in moderation and will jump start your metabolism for the day. lots of herbs and spices can be purchased dried as well, my grocer has a $1 herb and spice section, so i like to get them there since they're cheap and effective.

and anytime you can buy frozen veggies and fruit, it's a good option, because you're not really missing out on anything, and they'll make life easier and stretch your dollar!

i know it's hard, but try cutting down as much processed foods as possible for a week or two and you'll notice a difference.
    [/quote]

Oh no I didn't think you were rude at all, i'm just on my witts end about trying to understand this all, it's like anytime I think I got it....it fails and i'm told I was wrong. I'm going to try this whole no processed foods thing, I honestly never knew what it was really and now I do know, i'm kinda disgusted on how much I eat that is processed. :sick: