Beans...who eats them?

Options
124»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »
    We have kidney beans,great northern & black beans often. I like garbanzo too,but not my husband.

That's so sad. If you don't like your husband, why did you marry him? ;)

• Sunnysided1
    Sunnysided1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like beans a lot, but they tend to moldy, which I'm allergic too. Sad. I can eat them, but my allergic become worse.
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    LadyFencer wrote: »
    I eat them daily. Getting an electric pressure cooker changed my life. Lately I've been experimenting with African spices from the Teeny Tiny Spice Company. Throw those in the pressure cooker with beans and vegetables and serve over rice. Fantastic.

So jealous of your pressure cooker! I can't wait to get one. We have 5 kids so I am sure it will change my life too.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - daily protein source.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm having a bean medley in a quinoa/peppers/onion/avocado dressing salad for lunch today -- I'm looking forward to it!

I also make my own hummus (no olive oil needed).

I also make chocolatecoveredkatie.com's black bean brownies (no flour) -- they are AMAZING, my kids eat them up!

LOVE beans. I have made my own, but now I find I just stock up when the low-sodium cans go on sale.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i am not a lover of black beans, but I love pintos and butter beans. And navy beans, kidney beans, red beans, etc.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    daizyk70 wrote: »
    I always feel so nourished when I eat beans and rice. If anyone has a good way they season their black beans, I'd love to hear it. I love Chili's black beans and I have been trying to copy the recipe at home with bland luck.

Are you cooking them from dry or using canned? If using canned, I've found that the great value brand of seasoned black beans are pretty good on their own. If you want additional seasoning, I've found that adding cumin, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne powder can add good flavor. I've seen lots of recipes that use chili powder, but I don't care for the taste of chili powder.

From dry, I do 1 pound black beans soaked overnight, then rinsed and add 7-8 Cwater, 1 T each of cumin, paprika, dried minced onions and garlic powder, then cayenne powder to taste. No salt while they are cooking, but when they are to the right tenderness I add salt liberally, let them cook for a couple more minutes, then taste and salt again if needed. Using enough salt makes a world of difference, IMHO, but I only add the salt after cooking because I once had a batch of pinto beans take more than 24 hours to cook and I salted the water while cooking.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I hear they are good for your heart, and sometimes called the "musical fruit."