Dad Bod...enough said

Options
upgradeddiddy
upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
i just watched the funniest video on the reaction to the "Dad Bod" on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/5n94h8qnbwU

All I am going to do is leave that there, note that I agree and see what other people think.

**WARNING: Strong Language**

Replies

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've never heard of this before this video but my husband is 6'4" 375+lbs. When we met he was 267lbs and very muscular, and I didn't even know he existed before he reached out to me and we started talking on Facebook (we worked together but opposite shifts). His personality is what hooked me, not his body. I'm attracted to him either way. I would not ever trade my husband's bod for one of those. Disagree wholeheartedly. And how insecure must you be to use alpha vs beta male.. and for the big *kitten* you in the middle........ yeah, super super insecure. Wow. And why didn't they have women on for their opinion?

You know what makes my husband hot? How funny he is... how he knows everything.... how I feel safe with him because he protects us in every way... he thinks about things I don't... how he can fix everything... how he cares for us... he can cook too :)

My biggest crush is Zach Galifianakis. Because he's hilarious. Humor, intelligence, and being able to fix things are what make me attracted to someone... yeah the fixing things is kinda weird but if I can do more than you, no thanks.

Maybe these men just happen to be more attractive to women because these men feel they have to have other qualities that clearly these two men think they are missing... at least, that's what some guys have told me.. they have to be funny because they aren't good looking.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    hey - it's really good to be insulted first thing in the morning. by not going to the gym 5 hours a day, these guys assume that i'm a beta **** and I don't look good.

Considering not looking good is pretty subjective, and they are trying to refute an article that states i do look good, they are fighting with insults as they think a good Alpha should do, i guess.

Then they also insult women by saying that they couldn't possibly be attracted to a guy who is softer, it must be because they want someone to walk all over.

Honestly, I only made it about 3 minutes in, and that's what I got from it. I really didn't want to give these guys any more of my time.

Signed,
    Beta ****
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    LOL - what a pair of unattractive idiots. I don't like their bodies - I don't like their minds.
  • greco16
    greco16 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The guy on the right looks like he's about to have a cardiac arrest
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options

Then they also insult women by saying that they couldn't possibly be attracted to a guy who is softer, it must be because they want someone to walk all over.

Yep. But they are alphas so they respect women. :|
  • justinegibbons
    justinegibbons Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't find either guy attractive. I'm not into super muscular guys like the dude on the right that looks like he's about to stroke out at any given moment. I couldn't even make it through the whole video. My guys is an active gym goer, as am I, but he definitely doesn't do it because he doesn't want me to punk him out, he does it for his health. Guys like this are funny, they THINK they know what women want but they're nowhere near right. Not to say that woman don't appreciate men who are in good shape, but women don't want a man who thinks he is the *kitten* either.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If there's a male counterpart to misogyny, we just found it. I, also, couldn't make it through three minutes of this and it wasn't because of the language. It was the sheer idiocy and pretentiousness.

An awful lot of what I heard coming out of their mouths is being trolled amongst the dregs of the Internet various bullying and hate communities. To see this making it into the fitness world physically makes me sick.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have never been attracted to men such as these. Not the muscle. Not their tiny minds. Ugh.

It's funny what some people in this world thinks constitutes a "real man" or an alpha male. My alpha male and yet "soft" husband could out alpha both of these guys any day regardless of muscle mass.

This is absolutely subjective. To each his/her own.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If there's a male counterpart to misogyny, we just found it. I, also, couldn't make it through three minutes of this and it wasn't because of the language. It was the sheer idiocy and pretentiousness.

An awful lot of what I heard coming out of their mouths is being trolled amongst the dregs of the Internet various bullying and hate communities. To see this making it into the fitness world physically makes me sick.

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

I also could not watch longer than a few minutes. It wasn't worth my time.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    They kept claiming to be in defense of their bodies but repeatedly offended those with "softer" bodies. That's not how making a defense works. Idiots <<< That was meant to be offensive.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I think that the original article, and this video response represent extreme ends of the spectrum. Both miss the boat.

The article and many of the commenters stereotype men who are in shape, who lift, etc. This video response seems like they took personal offense to it.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options
    I think that the original article, and this video response represent extreme ends of the spectrum. Both miss the boat.

The article and many of the commenters stereotype men who are in shape, who lift, etc. This video response seems like they took personal offense to it.

This I completely agree with. The males in my family that are dads do no look like Seth Rogen in the least, treat their women like queens, but push that extra mile to balance life, kids and gym. That's why I agree with the video because (if you actually watched the whole video) both men admit that one of them is too extreme and the other is a work in progress but the label of "dad bod" is an insult to dads who are great dads the are great athletes as well,
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options

This I completely agree with. The males in my family that are dads do no look like Seth Rogen in the least, treat their women like queens, but push that extra mile to balance life, kids and gym. That's why I agree with the video because (if you actually watched the whole video) both men admit that one of them is too extreme and the other is a work in progress but the label of "dad bod" is an insult to dads who are great dads the are great athletes as well,

I watched the whole video and while he does say that, he also says that there are "two women that wouldn't find him attractive."

I agree that it is flawed to think that the 'dad-bod' is most desired. I also think that a rebuttal like this is useless when your defense is based on opinion and shaming towards 'soft-bodied' individuals. Luckily, I'm a little of both. My arms and shoulders are hard AF and my belly is soft. I get ALL women!
  • LolBroScience
    Options

I watched the whole video and while he does say that, he also says that there are "two women that wouldn't find him attractive."

I agree that it is flawed to think that the 'dad-bod' is most desired. I also think that a rebuttal like this is useless when your defense is based on opinion and shaming towards 'soft-bodied' individuals. Luckily, I'm a little of both. My arms and shoulders are hard AF and my belly is soft. I get ALL women!

No, he says there are two women who WOULD find his extreme physique attractive.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

It wasn't a rebuttal. It was affirming that both sides are in the extreme and I can identify why the response to dad bod was somewhat deserved. Don't get me wrong, like you just said, there are "soft bodied" individuals like yourself who do get women (when I was out of shape it was no different) but to label "dad bod" is stupid.
  • wolverine66
    Options

I never saw the original "Dad bod" article, and never hear the term until yesterday, so I can't comment on it (I'm not sure I even want to see it).

This video does seem like they took it personally. Which is odd seeing as they proclaim to be ALPHA... you'd think that would encompass not being thin skinned.

• LolBroScience
    edited May 2015
    Options

I never saw the original "Dad bod" article, and never hear the term until yesterday, so I can't comment on it (I'm not sure I even want to see it).

This video does seem like they took it personally. Which is odd seeing as they proclaim to be ALPHA... you'd think that would encompass not being thin skinned.

Not sure if this is the "original", but this is the one that I saw posted multiple times.

http://theodysseyonline.com/clemson/dad-bod/97484

It's written by a college girl who graduates in 17'

Saw a few others with ridiculous stereotypical Facebook comments as well.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options

No, he says there are two women who WOULD find his extreme physique attractive.

Yeah, I heard that wrong. My fault
  • wolverine66
    edited May 2015
    Options

It wasn't a rebuttal. It was affirming that both sides are in the extreme and I can identify why the response to dad bod was somewhat deserved. Don't get me wrong, like you just said, there are "soft bodied" individuals like yourself who do get women (when I was out of shape it was no different) but to label "dad bod" is stupid.

To say it was deserved means that there is merit in what these guys are saying. I would say that if they were more rational, and reasoned instead of hot-headed and insulting, they would have been able to get valid points accross.

Instead any valid points get lost in their own ego, and putting everyone down.

There is probably a response that needs to be presented to the "dad bod" thing, but this is not it.