Amen!
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    bump
  • moyafigura
    moyafigura Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY AGREE....ME AND MY HUSBAND WILL HAVE BEEN MARRIED 12 YEARS ON JULY 4TH AND WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH MANY ROUGH PATCHES...IT'S NOT ALL SMILES AND LAUGHTER....I FEEL THAT US BEING GOD FEARING PLAYS A LARGE PART IN OUR RELATIONSHIP AND WE CAN TALK TO EACH OTHER ABOUT ANYTHING! :heart: KEEP LOVE ALIVE PEOPLE...IT'S WORTH IT IN THE LONG RUN :flowerforyou:
    I totally agree
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

I am sorry not trying to start anything honest. I work with people every day and 80% of society getting married, knows before they walk down the isle that this will end in divorce. I am a minister as well as a therapist and I marry people, I see it all the time and then refuse to marry them.

We get married because we love them, or we want to feel important, we think we should, too late to say no, want to become parents, our family like them, money, believe we can change them, not want to be alone, there is a great number of reasons people get married.

Marriage is hard work, but more importantly it is about compromise, it is about asking yourself...Can I accept everything about this person as they are for the rest of my life. The good and the bad and the indifferent...

I will say thank you to the op because I was just fighting with my husband today...and I am in the wrong...So thank you...I am sure my husband will thank you as well when I run down stairs and attack him...lol...ty

80%? Really? That's odd, considering that the actual divorce rate is much lower, and that most of those who get divorced thought their marriage was forever.

Hyperbole doesn't help you make your point. It makes you sound like you're trying really hard to make a point with "facts" that just aren't there.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You now,

I was married for 15 years and got divorced 7 years ago. Looking back, we should have separated at least 5 years earlier. Goals, objectives and values change when you grow up, and if they diverge, what is the point of trying to argue which each other. I was, and my ex likely too, not happy at all.

Met someone else with a kid, 10 now and we have a 3 year old, got together 5 years ago and got married 4 years ago. Haven't had a single fight or argument yet. So, bottom line is, if you are not happy in your marriage, fight or argue about essential things, move on. Life is too short; you can only live in once. And making a drastic change can be good for both you and your spouse, but looking back do it sooner rather than later. When there are issues, they are not going to get better, just worse over time.
  • elleninez
    elleninez Posts: 44
    Options
    I was one of those married young (20), gave up everything I was as a person to please him, and had honestly convinced myself I was content to live like that. I'd made vows, and I planned on sticking with them. 5 days before the birth of our second child, he told me he wasn't happy and wanted to leave me. He walked out on me when the baby was 9 days old. I begged him to come back, begged him to try counseling, all to no avail. He was done, and I was devastated.

It took a while, but I can see now that I'm the person I was originally again. I'm finally me again, smart-mouthed, obnoxious, opinionated me. He's remarried; I'm still single (much to my dismay). I want to remarry someday - but I'm never gonna let anyone change who I am again.
  • Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    I'll add my two cents...So much life happens. There are good reasons and there are bad reasons...Guess it all depends on your point of view and whose side you're on. I am very blessed to have been married to a real great guy for 27 years now. Have I wanted to wring neck? Yes. I've even thought/expressed a wish to divorce. The difference in my marriage? Communication and deep down, I really do love him whole heartedly. Now, whenever I think I want to leave, I remind myself of that and sooner or later, things smooth out. However, I'll state again, I am VERY blessed to have a really great guy who treats me well and loves me. So, that's the difference I guess in a marriage that succeeds or fails. Respect, communication and Love....gotta have those on both sides.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people just grow apart. There's nothing wrong with that. It happens and there's no crystal ball to predict it.

You also might be interested in researching how hormonal BC effects female selection of partners based on MHC & draw your own conclusions on how that effects rising divorce rates ;)
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    I just say No to marriage..... maybe when I'm 65 & need retirement $$$ LOL but. Nah, I'm good just the way I am :)
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It took a while, but I can see now that I'm the person I was originally again. I'm finally me again, smart-mouthed, obnoxious, opinionated me. He's remarried; I'm still single (much to my dismay). I want to remarry someday - but I'm never gonna let anyone change who I am again.

Applause! You go girl
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Great post...and really sad that divorces now make the paper...I've never seen that before. Or atleast I've never noticed them in my local papers.

My husband and I have only been married 2 years this October but we've been together for 10 years. EVERY day is hard work but those moments where you look at someone and think "geez, you really do always have my back" is the most fulfilling lovely feeling in the world. I realize marriage isn't for everyone and some people truly do need to split up, but I guess I'm old school with thinking..."not without a fight". (This is my opinion applying to my marriage only)
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • DESIREE1210
    DESIREE1210 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not that easy.
    My first marriage my X was my high school sweetheart, I found as I got older 30, I never was in-love with him. never had the butterflies or anything, I felt like I loved him like my brother or family member. Yes I divorced him.
    I found the love of my life and we had a great relationship, the thought of divorce never entered my mind. Until, he became disabled from back problems, started drinking heavily, hanging with another women who was giving him Oxy's and our marriage meant nothing to him. I decided to end it, told him I'm never living like this again. He decided he wanted our marriage to work, he cleaned up and I'm in the healing process. Yes things are good now but I'm ready to walk if I ever have the feeling things are going bad again. I will no longer live like I did for almost a year and I am putting me first and if that means divorcing him, then so be it, I'll be better off.
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    I will add to my previous reply and state that i WAS married... I wont get into to many details.... however, In a nutshell he had a problem keeping his junk in his pants, on his job, and he was going around providing community service around town. I didn't walk out without a fight.... after realizing how MANY women he was with on his job... I did leave....

he now lives with "her", and they both still work together, at the same place, they are playing house, and today would have been our 11th year wedding anniversary (we'll be separated 2yrs in July)

on the flip side.. I am happier without all of that anxeity, I'm in a new healthy relationship, that didnt begin as an affair. My conscience is clean, my heart is full, and I continue to face forward, and move on... however...

It will take a very very long time, for me to ever, say I DO again, I am definitely Anti-Marriage!!

...... thankfully my significant other is just fine with that..
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    So many people I know that are getting married already talk about the prospect of divorce. Granted, yes, it's always good to be prepared.... but marriage isn't exactly a natural disaster (lol.) Can't stock up on water bottles and canned beans. It's the emotional turbulence you need to prepare for. Marriage is hard. But the way I see it, anything worth doing isn't easy. I love being married! It's so much fun! I married my very best friend. We fight CONSTANTLY!! That just means we REALLLY care. In the end, though, you have to do what's best for you and your family.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    ive been with my bf for 10 1/2 years..2 children..a house..2 cars..a dog...i refuse to give him an ultimatum because i will NOT force him to marry me...but if im good enough to have all those things with..why am i not good enough to be his wife???

I read in Cosmo..to move the relationship forward and get him to propose, you have to do something to really impress him... after raising 2 kids together...he knows EVERYTHING about me..whats left to impress him with??

i know marriage is hard work..im totally up for that challenge..but i try not to bring up the subject anymore..cause he just thinks im nagging..

im sorry this how thing doesnt help you but just my POV and delima...any advice appreciated
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Marriage is just a label people!

In the end, if you are happy as a couple, you'll stay together, if you are unhappy then perhaps you shouldn't be together. People change a lot over long periods of time, the person you were at 18 probably is different to you at 30, and you may no longer click with your 'other half', its natrual. Divorce doesn't have to be an "EVIL" thing - surely its almost always the right thing to do. If one half is considering a divorce for whatever reason, then there must be unhappiness there. Of course for some people, love and friendship can prevail and marriages can last and that is great.

We are all on a quest for happiness in the end. Staying with someone, married or not, when you and/or they are actually unhappy isn't clever.

Part of the problem is that lots of people get married way to young. How can you possible promise to love someone forever if you haven't lived with them, or picked their hair out of the plughole, or had sex. It takes time in life to figure out exactly who you are, and what you need from a partner in life. I doubt anyone really knowns that at 16 although some get lucky with teenage marriages.

And a special message to @atkinssucks - Marriage is just a label! It sounds like you are pretty devoted to each other if you live together and have kids. If you are happy together, surely that's all the matters. Of course most of us girlies want the big day in the white dress but in the end, its just a piece of paper.

For the record, I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years, we have lived together for the last 3 and just bought a house together (which is interestingly just as legally binding as getting married). We'd like to do the big day sometime, but in no particular rush.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Options
    to me marriage isnt just a peice of paper..it would show me that my bf loves me so much he has NO desire to ever not be with me, because marriage is forever (not for everybody obviously)
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    How will getting married prove that he has no desire to ever not be with you? The whole thread is about divorce!! Marriage is not any kind of certainty. Standing in a church and saying "I do" will not mean that your circumstances might not change in the future.

What I was trying to say is that if you love him, you should be happy with what you have (which sounds like quite a lot). And trust that when he says he loves you, it is the truth - why do you need some sort of extra assurance that he isn't going to leave you?
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Options
    youre right..i should trust in what he says...thanks