Was your lunch healthy?

Options
jplis
jplis Posts: 28 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Analyze and reflect on your lunch choice for today. Is it healthy? Let's discuss in a paragraph.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's only just past breakfast time here...but yeah...much lunch is always healthy. 1/2 Lb garden salad with Italian dressing, 1/2 avocado, 6 ounces (cooked weight) of grilled chicken breast, Boiled egg, and an apple.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not too bad. Pitta with cheese and ham. Probably should have had some veg in there but I was in a hurry. Not too bad calorie wise, it will do. What was yours?
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    PB&J: Lunch of champions.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty good to me. Turkey and provolone in a barbecue Gemwrap with a little yogurt ranch, spinach, and tomato; baby carrots on the side. I'm sure we could argue about processed deli meats or how "natural" GemWraps are or whatever, but it suits my needs just fine -- I'll be ravenous after the gym and this will be quick to assemble, have protein and fat, and be full of various micronutrients.
  • Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yup, grilled chicken and steamed veggies.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Today it'll be Chipotle. Burrito bowl with brown rice, black beans, peppers and onions, double chicken, medium salsa, corn salsa, and lettuce. Just ~800 calories. Lots of sodium, but I'm active and drink a lot of water so that doesn't matter.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Left over Beer Brat and baked beans and mac n cheese. No, not healthy (except the beans maybe) but leftovers are affordable:)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It isn't lunch time here yet, but I'm going to have a sofritas salad from Chipotle. It fits in my calorie/macro goals for the day.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    jplis wrote: »
    Analyze and reflect on your lunch choice for today. Is it healthy? Let's discuss in a paragraph.

Be careful with that word. Healthy? Hm. You can eat 1,000 calories worth of food that is considered 'healthy' and go over your deficit and have a bad macro balance. Or you can eat a meal that some would consider 'unhealthy' that stays within your calorie goals, and maintains your calorie goals.
    say you eat a whole avocado, and have several stalks of celery filled with natural peanut butter. Dip some baby carrots in hummus, drink some homemade lemonade with it. have a plate of fresh cut fruit. toss in a couple of handsful of almonds. you've got a lot of calories in this one meal, a lot of fat and sugar. but a lot of people would call this a 'healthy' meal.
    Now have a small burger made with a slice of deli cheese on a bun with a small order of fries on the side. Put lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and onions on the burger, and you've got a very well-rounded meal, macro-wise. Protein, carbs, fat, and it's about 600 calories, if you kept it to a decent size.
    see how it can be a misconception to call things healthy or unhealthy?
  • avskk
    Options
    Actually, I'd still consider the first meal healthier than the second, absent any other context. "High-calorie" and "unhealthy" are not the same thing.

Now, there are a million factors that might make either of those meals a better choice at any given time or for any given person, but calorie content alone isn't an indicator of healthfulness.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Everything I eat in a day is healthy. It's not very wise to take one meal and assess whether it is healthy or not. Sometimes I don't even eat lunch, but I still manage to get the right amount of calories and balanced macros for that day. It's just like you can't analyze how a person eats on Thanksgiving Day and say they always eat a lot. Context is important.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I do not eat healthy. My feeds are leveraged in pursuit of my goals -- whether I am cutting or bulking.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Why don't you join in? At 14 posts, asking other members to "analyze" and "reflect" on their choices while you don't do the same is off putting.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    Actually, I'd still consider the first meal healthier than the second, absent any other context. "High-calorie" and "unhealthy" are not the same thing.

Now, there are a million factors that might make either of those meals a better choice at any given time or for any given person, but calorie content alone isn't an indicator of healthfulness.

therein lies the problem. So many people are afraid of food groups they don't understand. Well-balanced eating is important. the second meal is much more well-balanced. the first meal is good sometimes ( and I eat meals like it sometimes, but not nearly that large, because it's far too many calories), but people need good protein and fat sources in their diets and don't understand that. many people aren't losing weight because they eat large portions of what they think of as 'healthy' foods and never learn to eat in moderation.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I didn't wake up until 2 in the afternoon today so I didn't have lunch until about 3.45. It was a grapefruit. Not feeling very hungry yet and I'm having a big dinner :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Always. Fruits, vegetables, nuts & seeds, eggs & sometimes tuna.
  • avskk
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote:
    therein lies the problem. So many people are afraid of food groups they don't understand. Well-balanced eating is important. the second meal is much more well-balanced. the first meal is good sometimes ( and I eat meals like it sometimes, but not nearly that large, because it's far too many calories), but people need good protein and fat sources in their diets and don't understand that. many people aren't losing weight because they eat large portions of what they think of as 'healthy' foods and never learn to eat in moderation.

Right, but this question wasn't about diet in general -- it was specifically asking what each of us, individually, thinks of one particular meal in our day. Personally, I'd consider the first meal just fine on fat and protein what with the nut butter, hummus, and almonds. I'd also consider the second meal just fine, but for me it's less healthy because I aim for a lot more vegetables and fewer starchy carbs at each meal. (I also watch sodium and saturated vs monounsaturated fats, but again, that's personal preference.)

My point was that the first poster who compared those two meals called one "healthy" because it was lower in calories, with really no other analysis other than "it has all three macros." I'm suggesting that everyone evaluates the healthfulness of any given meal differently, so implying that calorie count is an indicator of health value isn't particularly helpful.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    A gob of peanut butter on a maple french toast bagel.
    Ice cream fudgesicle.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Chicken in herb cream sauce with roast vegetable tian (sliced tomato, potato, squash and zucchini topped with Italian cheese). I feel like I did pretty well there.
  • beautychicks
    beautychicks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    2 egg omelette with mushrooms yummy