Was your lunch healthy?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Nope, fried fish sandwich and a single onion ring topped off with 20/80 gas station banana cappuccino to coffee ratio in a big cup.

What matters to me is the big picture. Have I eaten TONS of vegetables, lean protein sources, other fresh foods and undeniably healthy fare 90% of the time...and the answer to that is yes, I certainly have. I also eat ice cream 2-3 times a week and I don't mean a 1/4 cup of Skinnycow. I just like to do what works for me.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Daughter has lovely state testing this week so I spent most of the day in a hotel lobby sigh.... lunch was fishy crackers in the car on the way home, and then a frozen entree at about 2pm. It was actually pretty good-Chilis Chicken Bacon Ranch Rice entree (390 calories).
  • Housekeeper65
    Housekeeper65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm pleased with my lunch for today. Zucchini noodles with a little tomato sauce/mushrooms/red onion, greek yogurt and a super crunchy royal gala apple. A little higher on the sodium side than normal for me because I was too lazy to make my own sauce and used it from a jar, but yummy!!! :)

How do you get your zucchini noodles to not turn to mush??

I make them thicker (like udon noodles) and only steam them in the sauce for a minute or two max so they stay crisp! :)

• DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Left over pasta from last night: Orecchiette with Watercress and Spring Pea Sauce by Cooking Light.
  • Housekeeper65
    Housekeeper65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lunch is provided at my workplace. Our head cook is very good but loves his fried foods and heavy cream/cheese so healthy options are sometimes limited. On the upside, there are always good salad option's.
    Today I had for lunch about 3 Oz's of meatloaf, 1 cup of mixed baby lettuce, 1/8 cup green peas, 1/8
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think so -

Mango Grilled Tostada - 5 Under 500 Calories
    Crafted with hand-prepared mango salsa, avocados we hand slice, slow simmered black beans, our fire-grilled chicken, cotija cheese and a grilled whole wheat tortilla, our new Grilled Mango Tostada is so flavorful that your taste buds won't believe it's under 500 calories.

Serving Size 14.9 oz
    Calories 470
    Calories from Fat 130
    Total Fat 15g
    Saturated Fat 4.0g
    Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 75mg
    Protein 34g
    Carbohydrates 57g
    Sodium 1050mg (not my favorite on sodium but I eat so little salt at home)
    Dietary Fiber 11g
    Sugars 7g
  • stalr335
    stalr335 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a homemade1/2 chicken-lean beef burger with seasonings grilled with spinach salad. I was surprised to find it really yummy. 1st time I made it.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm pleased with my lunch for today. Zucchini noodles with a little tomato sauce/mushrooms/red onion, greek yogurt and a super crunchy royal gala apple. A little higher on the sodium side than normal for me because I was too lazy to make my own sauce and used it from a jar, but yummy!!! :)

Sorry for butting in but if you cook your zucchini by boiling it as a whole (don't cut off the ends, don't peel, nada) and only for about 5-7 minutes. It will be cooked but not slimy or mushy.
  • kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    yes, carrots, celery, onions and oxtail with some bone broth. So good!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    tej6rfsqhcn9.jpg

Pretty much the same as yesterday because that ish was delicious. Still seems healthy to me, even with all the sodium -- I'll close out the day under my sodium target, near my fat and protein targets, and comfortably under my carb limit without being TOO low.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    DebzNuDa wrote: »

Sorry for butting in but if you cook your zucchini by boiling it as a whole (don't cut off the ends, don't peel, nada) and only for about 5-7 minutes. It will be cooked but not slimy or mushy.

Zucchini noodles are noodled - they can't be boiled whole :)
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    avskk wrote: »
    Actually, I'd still consider the first meal healthier than the second, absent any other context. "High-calorie" and "unhealthy" are not the same thing.

Now, there are a million factors that might make either of those meals a better choice at any given time or for any given person, but calorie content alone isn't an indicator of healthfulness.

therein lies the problem. So many people are afraid of food groups they don't understand. Well-balanced eating is important. the second meal is much more well-balanced. the first meal is good sometimes ( and I eat meals like it sometimes, but not nearly that large, because it's far too many calories), but people need good protein and fat sources in their diets and don't understand that. many people aren't losing weight because they eat large portions of what they think of as 'healthy' foods and never learn to eat in moderation.

Yes, this. I wish that I was taught from childhood about moderation vs just "healthy" eating. I think it would have helped me a lot. I'm only now learning that you can have those other things you like but in moderation. I'm happy about that, lol.

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I guess. It is leftover cod skillet.

Basically, you fry half a chopped onion and two large, chopped cloves of garlic in a tablespoon of butter in a large, cast iron skillet. When onions are translucent, add 7 coarsely seeded and chopped roma tomatoes, about a 1/4c of fresh chopped basil, 1/8c of fresh chopped parsley, 2tsp of salt, 1/2tsp pepper, 3-4 coarsely chopped and stemmed leaves of kale, and 1 cup of water. Cover and cook over medium high heat until kale has wilted to half original volume. Add 1.5-2lbs of cod fillets over the vegetable mixture, cover, and cook for another 7-8 minutes until cod is done. I usually then take out the cod and add a cornstarch slurry to make a sauce out of the drippings from the bottom of the pan. I then serve over steamed brown rice. I sometimes sprinkle 7g of 6 cheese Italian shred mix on top of my own plate for an extra kick. It is one of my husband's favorite fish dishes.
  • jamie_reynolds
    jamie_reynolds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    2 crunchy corn tostadas topped with vegetarian refried beans, shredded cheese, jalapenos, red onion, tomato, sour cream and hot sauce. wayyyyy less calories than going out for mexican and just as delicious.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hotdogs and protein shakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Had a bacon sarnie

Was yummy and healthy too
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think so.
    1 steamable bag of brocolli cuts - 105 calories
    4.1 ounces Jennie O Smoked Turkey Breast(lunch meat) - 103 calories and 18 grams protein
    91 grams of baby carrots - 37 calories
    1 Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper
    245 Calories total, 26 grams of protein, 25 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fat and good vitamins from the brocolli and carrots. A lot of food for a little calories.
  • otheliemoor
    otheliemoor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Eh...Yes? And kind of no, depending on how you're looking at it? I'm over on fat for today. I had greek yoghurt with blueberries and walnuts for lunch and went a little overboard with the nuts. Calorie wise I'm good, and I'm not super observant when it comes to macros, but still over by 13.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I had 1 left over enchilada from last nights dinner, and 3 large whole strawberries.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Mine was boring - just beef and salad. Was nice though and that's all that matters.

I eat weird combinations of food. Please don't judge. :p