Four bags of Oreos

Hubby and I had "the discussion" about eating more sensibly and healthier, and less junk food, etc, etc, etc, this weekend. (He has more weight to lose than I do.) Thought we were on the same page, until he came home from the grocery store this evening with four bags of Oreos, chocolate ice cream, eight pounds of pork sausage patties, and a supersize bag of generic Reese's pieces cereal.

I'm not even sure we're in the same book, much less on the same page. How do you handle these situations??

Replies

• Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Maybe he wants to fit them into his calorie goals?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited May 2015
    Since your husband is a grown adult, I suggest doing what I had to do - lead by example, by cooking tasty yet healthful meals (if you're the one that cooks, that is) and politely refusing any junk.

It's amazing how many people I've turned that way. It took time, but it always works.
  • Carnivor0us
    That being said, the pork sausage patties are probably the healthiest item of the lot.
  • dlw3f9
    dlw3f9 Posts: 1 Member
    If that was all he came home with then I would be angry. If he came home with other food that was healthy then I wouldnt be as mad. That combination gives me an upset stomach thinking about. On a bad day though I could eat a whole bag of oreos by myself and not bat an eye! Lol.
  • reynolds3371
    reynolds3371 Posts: 7 Member
    He can eat all of that food in moderation by keeping it under his calorie count for the day and logging everything in
  • APeacefulWarrior
    APeacefulWarrior Posts: 86 Member
    Since your husband is a grown adult, I suggest doing what I had to do - lead by example, by cooking tasty yet healthful meals (if you're the one that cooks, that is) and politely refusing any junk.

It's amazing how many people I've turned that way. It took time, but it always works.

He pretty much won't eat anything I cook - he grew up in the restaurant business and as a young cook, it was all about fat, sugar, and salt. I grew up in a household where my parents tried to eat healthy (blood pressure issues are pretty prevalent in my family), so I like flavor, but can't afford a lot of calories from fat - and sugar? Well he's diabetic and sugar really makes me feel awful in a number of ways, so neither of us need a lot of sugar. Salt in moderation (I have high blood pressure and processed foods are SO full of salt that when I eat a home cooked meal, I'd rather be able to add it at the table.

I do politely refuse... he tells me I'm being militant. Sigh...
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Ha sounds like my husband. He use to eat cookies & candy everyday so eating it every other day is his idea of healthier and more sensibly. To make matters worse, he's diabetic. I just tell him "don't expect me to wheel your butt around when your legs fall off". He tells me it will help my upper body development if I do. One needs to keep a sense of humor in a marriage.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    You don't have to eat more than you want of those things- or any of it. It is your dh's choice to eat those foods or not. Maybe he feels some can fit in his eating plan. Put them away and do your own thing. It is possible that your dh isn't ready to lose weight.

My dh brought cookies home today. It wasn't part of my plan so I said I would save one for tomorrow. Dh and dd ate their cookies. I ate some popcorn that I really wanted.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    That's hard. Can you return the produce to the store? Perhaps you and your husband need to sit down and make a shopping list and don't detour from it?
  • APeacefulWarrior
    That being said, the pork sausage patties are probably the healthiest item of the lot.

The patties have a preservative that's pretty much banned in every country in the world except the US. So no, not really... although I hear what you're saying.
  • Carnivor0us

He pretty much won't eat anything I cook - he grew up in the restaurant business and as a young cook, it was all about fat, sugar, and salt. I grew up in a household where my parents tried to eat healthy (blood pressure issues are pretty prevalent in my family), so I like flavor, but can't afford a lot of calories from fat - and sugar? Well he's diabetic and sugar really makes me feel awful in a number of ways, so neither of us need a lot of sugar. Salt in moderation (I have high blood pressure and processed foods are SO full of salt that when I eat a home cooked meal, I'd rather be able to add it at the table.

I do politely refuse... he tells me I'm being militant. Sigh...

I am pre-diabetic, and my parent is a Type 1. As someone who works in the healthcare industry, I have seen the terrible effects of chronically high blood glucose. Continue to be 'militant' because those foods are completely off the table for medical reasons. It's mostly sugars and starches that non-insulin dependent diabetics (and some insulin-dependent diabetics) should avoid in mass quantity.

Some Type 2s won't get it until it's too late. :(
  • Lorsmith44
    Lorsmith44 Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2015
    It is so hard when one person brings stuff into the house when the other is trying not to eat that stuff... I know how that is. I have a skinny hubby who thinks he can eat sweets and fats like they are going out of style. But cholesterol is not his friend, so we both should be watching what we eat.
  • Carnivor0us

The patties have a preservative that's pretty much banned in every country in the world except the US. So no, not really... although I hear what you're saying.

Haha, yes, I get it. I avoid preservatives in my sausage patties as well.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member

This. My husband is a grown man, and if he wants to sit next to me and eat a giant bowl of ice cream, that's his thing. I'm doing mine...and I've noticed as time has gone on that he has actually cut down on the excess he eats at night. Lead by example. You can do it.
  • APeacefulWarrior

I am pre-diabetic, and my parent is a Type 1. As someone who works in the healthcare industry, I have seen the terrible effects of chronically high blood glucose. Continue to be 'militant' because those foods are completely off the table for medical reasons. It's mostly sugars and starches that non-insulin dependent diabetics (and some insulin-dependent diabetics) should avoid in mass quantity.

Some Type 2s won't get it until it's too late. :(

He keeps telling me that his diet must be fine because his blood tests come back fine (meaning his A1c is within acceptable limits for a diabetic on 3 different diabetes meds) Denial? It scares me, but not him...
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    No, he's not ready. But that wouldn't stop me from picking up the bag of Oreos and saying WTF! It's really not fair to you to have all that crap in the house.
  • APeacefulWarrior
    MrM27 wrote: »

Which preservative?

Propyl gallate - and I'll amend my statement because in looking it up, I found a report released in late 2014 that the EU is allowing it back into food processing since they can't pull it completely out of the cosmetics industry.