Four bags of Oreos

Options

Replies

• APeacefulWarrior
    APeacefulWarrior Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Which preservative?

Propyl gallate - and I'll amend my statement because in looking it up, I found a report released in late 2014 that the EU is allowing it back into food processing since they can't pull it completely out of the cosmetics industry.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    As much as you want to control your husband (and even if you deny it you kinda are) you really can't. I understand completely how you feel, way back when my husband was the same. Unwilling to change and etc but I just ate my healthy food, lost weight and got better. After awhile he decided to follow and now he's in the best shape of his life, just joined the Navy, and lost all his weight.
    I'm not saying your husband will make such a change but it's the little things. You might have to accept he'll never change and if that is something you can deal with, as blunt as crappy as that sounds.
    I do know one thing though, the more you harass your spouse (typically) about changing and their eating habits, the MORE likely they are to go buy 4 packages of oreos just to be spiteful, weather he did that consciously or not.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    dlw3f9 wrote: »
    If that was all he came home with then I would be angry. If he came home with other food that was healthy then I wouldnt be as mad. That combination gives me an upset stomach thinking about. On a bad day though I could eat a whole bag of oreos by myself and not bat an eye! Lol.

Does he have to change his eating habits because you did?
    85kurtz wrote: »
    That's hard. Can you return the produce to the store? Perhaps you and your husband need to sit down and make a shopping list and don't detour from it?
    Why does he have to?

Did you read the original post? It says that both parties had decided on a lifestyle change. He doesn't have to do anything, it is entirely his business. He shouldn't have agreed in the first
  • kutiekai007
    kutiekai007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started trying to get healthier about a week ago. Hubby wasn't on board until I gave him a peanut butter (his other wife) protein shake and when he got jealous of my low calorie snacks I went and bought. I told him when he wants to start counting calories he can raid my snack box. He isn't counting them yet but is now asking me to make him shakes for breakfast and healthy lunches lol:) so lead by example.
  • Rampant328
    Rampant328 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Look up what that type of food is doing to his liver and then explain it to him. The leading by example is a good idea for you but it's not a guarantee that he'll follow in your footsteps. He's using the Oreos to make himself feel better about something. If he exercised, ate right, and got proper sleep, he might feel like a Superman.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    All things, in moderation.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I did read it. Just because they discussed getting healthier together does that mean the person has to give up foods they love or want just because the other person doesn't want to eat them?[/quote]

Well I guess your idea of eating healthy food and mine (and the OP's) are very different. That's fine. :open_mouth:
  • APeacefulWarrior
    Options
    It's so very much more complicated than just this latest issue. Diabetes killed his father, and we're all concerned that he is headed in the same direction. He is also 8 years out from failed WLS, and as for me, I am simply sick and tired of feeling sick and tired (ie, I don't want to become diabetic, I want to lower my bp, and I am not about to just sit back and be a spectator in my own life) This is the latest in our struggles, but I am determined to succeed this time - with or without his support. I know nagging or demanding he change won't work, but I wish he would at least care enough that he would want me to be healthy and then be supportive of my efforts ... but maybe he just can't be...

I don't know... around his WLS, I made sure I supported him... we're supposed to be in this together, and I hate knowing I'm in it alone, I guess.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

I am pre-diabetic, and my parent is a Type 1. As someone who works in the healthcare industry, I have seen the terrible effects of chronically high blood glucose. Continue to be 'militant' because those foods are completely off the table for medical reasons. It's mostly sugars and starches that non-insulin dependent diabetics (and some insulin-dependent diabetics) should avoid in mass quantity.

Some Type 2s won't get it until it's too late. :(

He keeps telling me that his diet must be fine because his blood tests come back fine (meaning his A1c is within acceptable limits for a diabetic on 3 different diabetes meds) Denial? It scares me, but not him...

Denial. An A1c that's acceptable can be quite a large range. especially for a diabetic that is on 3 different medications...standards for a1c are lowered.

how long has he been diabetic? Feel free to private message me if you want.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    brwelch1 wrote: »
    Maybe he wants to fit them into his calorie goals?
    Maybe they were on sale and he saw a deal he couldn't pass up?

These ^^^^.

You can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as you stay within your calorie goals. If you don't want that big bag of peanut butter cups, I have room in my cabinet. :)
  • APeacefulWarrior
    Options
    To be clear, I don't expect either one of us to give up all sweets and snacks - I would have considered one bag of Oreos a little bit understandable... but four? And I will bet they will be gone inside a week... Cereal can be healthy, not loaded with sugar, ice cream is fine if it's eaten in reasonable servings, and the pork sausage is just one component of a fat laden breakfast meal. To me, this is not what we agreed to... and he DID agree to it.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    All things, in moderation.
    not for a diabetic. that sort of thinking makes management of diabetes more difficult and more damaging then it needs to be.

• Carnivor0us
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

These ^^^^.

You can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as you stay within your calorie goals. If you don't want that big bag of peanut butter cups, I have room in my cabinet. :)

No, not this. He's got a medical condition that does not allow eating those items regularly. Life isn't fair.

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I had "the discussion" about eating more sensibly and healthier, and less junk food, etc, etc, etc, this weekend. (He has more weight to lose than I do.) Thought we were on the same page, until he came home from the grocery store this evening with four bags of Oreos, chocolate ice cream, eight pounds of pork sausage patties, and a supersize bag of generic Reese's pieces cereal.

I'm not even sure we're in the same book, much less on the same page. How do you handle these situations??
    Tell him to enjoy his haul and that you won't be participating.

• APeacefulWarrior
    Options
    GiGiBeans wrote: »
    Ha sounds like my husband. He use to eat cookies & candy everyday so eating it every other day is his idea of healthier and more sensibly. To make matters worse, he's diabetic. I just tell him "don't expect me to wheel your butt around when your legs fall off". He tells me it will help my upper body development if I do. One needs to keep a sense of humor in a marriage.

My daughter's step-sister just lost her father to the effects of diabetes - years after he lost both legs and a wife as a result of his illness and refusal to eat healthy and take care of himself. I don't understand why anyone (even jokingly) would wish to become dependent on someone else if it could be prevented. Part of the reason I am determined to get healthier is exactly to prevent that type of situation for myself.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

These ^^^^.

No, not this. He's got a medical condition that does not allow eating those items regularly. Life isn't fair.

He is an adult. It is his choice of he wants to make changes to improve his health or not. No one can force anyone else to change.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

He is an adult. It is his choice of he wants to make changes to improve his health or not. No one can force anyone else to change.

True. And for some, sadly, the realization that the health effects of diabetes CAN happen to them doesn't occur until they are losing appendages. Denial is a powerful force.
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

elphie754 wrote: »

True. And for some, sadly, the realization that the health effects of diabetes CAN happen to them doesn't occur until they are losing appendages. Denial is a powerful force.

Your concerns are valid but you cannot will, dictate or control the eating habits of anyone who wants what they want. Save yourself and your sanity.