At goal weight...now what? with Pics.

Options
chile_chicken
chile_chicken Posts: 32 Member
I have reached my goal weight but I am still extremely unhappy with my body. I look down and all I see is fat. I have gone from 167.2lbs down to 120lbs over three years as I had a baby at the end of 2009 and put back on the weight I had lost, so I have had to lose the same amount of weight twice!
I know I have slimmed down but I still have flabby arms, a pot belly and no muscle tone. I guess I need to reassess my goals but I kind of feel let down as I thought I would look good and feel confident when I reached my goal weight. has anyone else ever felt like this and what did you do?
Here are my before and after pics if anyone is interested too.
a5eq1l.jpg taken at my heaviest in December 2007
t7zote.jpg taken about 10 minutes ago!

Replies

• Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Congratulations! All you need to do now is make new goals for toning! You CAN do it! :drinker:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats on your loss!

What to do now? Strength training. Build muscle. Tone up. :)
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    you look good try target toneing it will help with your fat areas that you dont like but great job feel good about your self
  • jessmars
    jessmars Posts: 131
    Options
    you look GREAT!!!! let yourself be proud of what you have accomplished.......strength training is going to be your new best friend now...BUT YOU LOOK AWESOME
  • cm40
    cm40 Posts: 30
    Options
    well i think you answered your question. Many people are concerned about weight when they should be concerned with overall fitness.
    You may weigh less but can you do 50 push ups in a row? Run a 5K in under 30 minutes? Deadlift twice your own body weight?
    If you want to look like an athlete you have to train like one. Cutting the food and cardio may burn fat, but does not build much muscle. Women think that they should avoid weight lifting because they'll get bodybuilder bodies. It's not true. You don't get buffed up and swollen overnight. You get that with supplements, high weight/low reps, and bodybuilding training.
    But if you want definition you need to lose the fat layer AND work on building lean muscle.
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    Congratulations! That is awesome!:flowerforyou:
  • eyespy32
    eyespy32 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey!

First off, you look great BTW! Well done!

I had the same problem. When I was at my thinnest (120 lbs) I still felt fat and unsatisfied with the way I looked. I was happy with the numbers on the scale, but I also still felt I had flabby arms and a tummy. I dont have a solution for you unfortunately....I guess one problem I had, was that even though I was eating 1200 calories, a lot of what I was eating was crap. Have you been weight training? If not, give it a try...or if you have, maybe consider a personal trainer that might be able to help you tone up in the right places :)
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    YAY! Congrats
  • rosemadderv
    rosemadderv Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm in a similar position~ gone from 216 to 137, and working towards a goal of 135. Now that I'm so close, I'm thinking I want to go a little lower, but I'm trying to face the fact that I won't look the way I really want to unless I get my butt in gear with exercise. If you are not doing any now, start with some cardio perhaps and if possible, work with a personal trainer to give you some guidance.

You've done great so far, so don't lose sight of that!
  • June_bozeman
    June_bozeman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats. You look great. Even though I still need/want to lose 20lbs, which is why I just joined this site, I would highly recommend you find a boot camp class in your area. I began one back in March of 2010 and am now in my 8th 6 week program. Since starting I have not lost 1lb yet I dropped two pant sizes. It has been addictive for me, due to how I feel because of participating in this, but it is only 3 days a week for 1 hour. I actually am planning to go on a week long fitness vacation this year. Best of luck.
  • sislee
    sislee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You look really good, great job. I have losted 60 lbs and need to loose 72 more, it is :happy: slow but it is working for me I know that I will have extra flab to get rid of but in my clothes I sure do look better. Everyone makes nice comments on how great I look now so it makes it nice to know that they can see the change.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi chile_chicken,

Congradulations on getting to your first goal!

You really didn't think it was over did you? In the perfect world, what did you think was going to happen next? What ddid you expect?

After working so hard fr so long, did you really think it was going to all be over? It's not, only the first part is, your firsy goal. Now you have to figure out what's next. What do you want to do. You certainly don't want to go back to where you were, you've already been there and it wasn't a place you wanted to be in.

We all have flaws, now is time to do some fine tuning which can be done. You said you take an exercise class once a week, well now you need to do it more often. When you exercise find out what works for you and decide if theat is the next goal you want for yourself and go for it!

Again congradulations on your first goal!
  • cm40
    cm40 Posts: 30
    Options
    Here's a few articles and blog posts i thought you may want to read:
    In 3 parts: http://graemethomasonline.com/skinny-fat-not-just-hollywoods-problem/
    Another article: http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/
  • mom2my3angels123
    Options
    I just wanted to say that you look wonderful!! I'd be very proud to accomplish what you have done, and to look THAT good after. I was going to recommend the same things others here have. So i'll just congratulate you instead :)
  • chile_chicken
    chile_chicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do a sort of boot camp once a week and run on the treadmill, so yes now I think it is time to do some strength training. All those machines just look a bit daunting!
  • gertbyc
    gertbyc Posts: 10
    Options
    Just want to say congratulations! You are so beautiful, so take time to enjoy your body and your accomplishment!
  • Juneliliy
    Juneliliy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one that feels that those machines are a bit daunting. I recommend getting the assistance of a personal trainer, sometimes they provide a complimetary session, to prepare you for the basics. If you have any questions on any machines let me know. The best advice I can give you, is take your time with the muscle you are working out, if you go too fast you are using too much momentum and not letting the muscle fibers actually flex and tear. Tearing is good because then it can repair and grow. Make sure you have enough healthy protein so that your body can recoup. The other baby steps you can do is trying push ups and crunches using your own body weight. When that gets easy, try the machines to add more weight. Wish you luck! Let me know if you have any questions. I love weight training, myself. I actually plan to get back into it this summer, as soon as school ends!
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    but I kind of feel let down as I thought I would look good and feel confident when I reached my goal weight. has anyone else ever felt like this
    Yup :frown:
  • frankbo25
    frankbo25 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Now you celebrate your success and enjoy it, and constantly aim for new fitness goals no matter how big or small!!
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I do a sort of boot camp once a week and run on the treadmill, so yes now I think it is time to do some strength training. All those machines just look a bit daunting!

I would give Yoga a try as well. You look fantastic BTW!

Michelle
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!