coconut oil....?

Options
I've read of the many benefits of consuming coconut oil, or simply replacing some of your daily calories with it. Apparently, it is the most amazing thing ever! I started putting 1 tablespoon of it in my morning tea today and I plan I'm doing that until I reach 2 tablespoons a day. However, I am just curious if anyone has tried this for weight loss and if they have had any success? I've read some scientific research studies about it and it seems legit, especially when it comes to losing stubborn belly fat. Let me know your coconut oil stories! I'll share my journey as well:)

Replies

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/faq-20058081
    I think it's just another "fad" that people think is a magic pill, but losing weight just requires the hard work of eating less and exercising to be fit.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Unless you're using the coconut oil in place of something with even more calories, you're just adding calories. That's pretty inconsistent with losing weight.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    yes just another fad as it relates to weight loss but i cook and bake with it. not for weight loss but because it's a healthy oil and it tastes amazing. whatever i don't use off the spoon or when i'm finished with the jar, i smear it all over my hands and face because it's also an amazing skin hydrator/moisturizer :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you like it and want to cook with it, go ahead. But it's not a miracle cure for anything. My sister-in-law was all gung-ho about using it to whiten her teeth. Until she realized that you have to swish it around in your mouth for 20 minutes a day. Twenty minutes. I don't lead an extraordinarily busy life, but even I can find better, more fun and more productive things to do in those twenty minutes a day.
  • bulvatron
    bulvatron Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am, in fact, replacing calories with it rather than adding calories. I have talked to some real life people in my everyday life and they swear by it. One woman lost an extra 15lbs along with what she normally loses per month.
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    kpodaru wrote: »
    yes just another fad as it relates to weight loss but i cook and bake with it. not for weight loss but because it's a healthy oil and it tastes amazing. whatever i don't use off the spoon or when i'm finished with the jar, i smear it all over my hands and face because it's also an amazing skin hydrator/moisturizer :)

This!!!

I don't use butter and coconut oil replaces what I would put on toast or use to scramble eggs.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    It will not make a difference regarding weight loss. It contains calories from fat, which your body uses in exactly the same way it uses and calories from fats. If you like it, definitely eat it - just don't expect it to expedite weight loss or have any kind of magical benefits.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    bulvatron wrote: »
    I am, in fact, replacing calories with it rather than adding calories. I have talked to some real life people in my everyday life and they swear by it. One woman lost an extra 15lbs along with what she normally loses per month.
    No she didn't.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Her loss had nothing to do with coconut oil. It does not have any kind of magic fat burning properties. It's just a fad. If you like it in your tea, then go for it, seeing as you're giving up something else to make room for the calories. Me, personally, I'd rather eat the calories and drink tea plain.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil for cooking but not for direct eating -- you need a percentage of calories from fat but that can come from numerous sources.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited May 2015
    Options

No one except for the severely morbidly obese should be losing 15+ lbs/month.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

No, no she didn't. Not saying she didn't lose an extra 15lbs, but it was most certainly not because of coconut oil.

As stated, it's a great healthy oil that many enjoy cooking with but it isn't magic.

• bulvatron
    Options
    Wow. What a bunch of Debbie downers. Thanks for your opinions.
  • bulvatron
    Options
    And yes, she is very large and had the extra 15lbs to lose.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Also, you're going to die. If facts are a downer to you, you might want to reassess your mindset.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Sorry it isn't what you wanted to hear, but these aren't opinions. They are facts.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Just because you didn't get told what you wanted to hear doesn't mean we are Debbie Downers. We were stating facts. I generally assume that people want to base their dietary choices off of facts. Sorry if that's not what you were going for.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

No one is being a downer, we're just stating the facts. Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear. At least now you know that if you want extra food one day, you can just cut out the unnecessary oil in your tea.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've read of the many benefits of consuming coconut oil, or simply replacing some of your daily calories with it. Apparently, it is the most amazing thing ever! I started putting 1 tablespoon of it in my morning tea today and I plan I'm doing that until I reach 2 tablespoons a day. However, I am just curious if anyone has tried this for weight loss and if they have had any success? I've read some scientific research studies about it and it seems legit, especially when it comes to losing stubborn belly fat. Let me know your coconut oil stories! I'll share my journey as well:)
    I've been using it for cooking...instead of other fats. Like 1-2T a day. My diet is actually 40-50% fat right now, and one of my concern areas is belly fat. I'm dropping bodyfat at a steady rate, so it's not hurting anything! I think it is good for that problem.
    Stress and lack of sleep can put fat there, and so can too much sugar/carbs.