coconut oil....?

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Stress and lack of sleep can put fat there, and so can too much sugar/carbs.
    No. Too many calories will put fat there, if that's where your genetics determine it will go.
  • bulvatron
    bulvatron Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The facts include that coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids which are metabolized differently in your body compared to long chain fatty acids, which is in olive oil for example. Different foods and macronutrients go through different metabolic pathways. I don't think you people know what you're talking about. Sorry that your "facts" are not real facts.
  • bulvatron
    bulvatron Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bulvatron wrote: »
    I've read of the many benefits of consuming coconut oil, or simply replacing some of your daily calories with it. Apparently, it is the most amazing thing ever! I started putting 1 tablespoon of it in my morning tea today and I plan I'm doing that until I reach 2 tablespoons a day. However, I am just curious if anyone has tried this for weight loss and if they have had any success? I've read some scientific research studies about it and it seems legit, especially when it comes to losing stubborn belly fat. Let me know your coconut oil stories! I'll share my journey as well:)
    I've been using it for cooking...instead of other fats. Like 1-2T a day. My diet is actually 40-50% fat right now, and one of my concern areas is belly fat. I'm dropping bodyfat at a steady rate, so it's not hurting anything! I think it is good for that problem.
    Stress and lack of sleep can put fat there, and so can too much sugar/carbs.
    Awesome! Thanks for your story:) I have issues with belly fat as well...I had a baby 15 months ago and I'm having issues not only dropping weight at a steady pace, but also with belly fat.

• JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use it as a face moisturizer. That's about it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The facts include that coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids which are metabolized differently in your body compared to long chain fatty acids, which is in olive oil for example. Different foods and macronutrients go through different metabolic pathways. I don't think you people know what you're talking about. Sorry that your "facts" are not real facts.

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Good luck on your weight loss goals.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    The facts include that coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids which are metabolized differently in your body compared to long chain fatty acids, which is in olive oil for example. Different foods and macronutrients go through different metabolic pathways.
    None of which will make you lose any more fat.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Lawl.

Okay.gif
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    It would have been more efficient if you had just made it clear in the original post that you wanted people to support your decision rather than giving the impression that you would open to facts to the contrary.
  • hrtunstall
    hrtunstall Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, sad to say mostly a fad. I have read to avoid putting it on your face because it is comodegenic (clogs pores). But, I read a recent article on Science Alert, http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-discover-a-new-way-to-cook-rice-that-could-halve-the-calories that seems legit. I have been doing this with both white & brown rice.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yes to coconut oil, no to crop oils like canola, corn, safflower. Coconut oil is no miracle but it's still good stuff in conjuction with other healthy changes.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Honestly olive oil- for some cooking- is healthier in my opinion. More of the healthy fats and less saturated fat. (At least when looking at the two bottles of oils I have.) I wouldn't be putting oil in my tea... I do however put coconut oil- mixed with a tiny bit of olive oil- in my hair every other night before a shower. It seems so much healthier after the shower.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Right. No one here knows what they're talking about, so you should obviously take recommendations from Dr. Oz. Enjoy your oily tea, and good luck with your weight loss.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I used the stuff to make raw cookie dough, which I ate as a snack. I'm pretty sure that is part of the reason I was overweight.
  • marlyall
    marlyall Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, this is just my personal experience: I tried coconut oil and butter in my coffee (bulletproof) for a while instead of breakfast, I had great energy and I really felt like I had increased metabolism...I was also doing Paleo, for almost 2 years. In that time I did feel great, and enjoyed my meal options, but in the end I probably only lost about 10lbs over the whole time. Kind of discouraging since I have plenty of weight to lose. Interestingly my blood tests did show a positive out comes (increased LDL, decreases in other lipids etc). I dont think that the coconut will hurt you especially if you are aiming for a ketogenic/low carb diet. There is lots of scientific research that directly opposes one another Paleo vs low fat whole grains etc. It's hard to know what is right. Keep reading, and find what works for you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a lot more expensive than I expected it to be.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

eb94b067858652bc2b45a027f4eab5c3.jpg

• britt01any
    britt01any Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Good luck on your weight loss goals.

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Wow. What a bunch of Debbie downers. Thanks for your opinions.

That's OK, believe what you want. Please go ahead and just ignore the people with the most success on MFP and do what you want.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

eb94b067858652bc2b45a027f4eab5c3.jpg

Love that quote.