Detox/Cleanse

nmoyer728
nmoyer728 Posts: 1 Member
Has anyone done a detox/cleanse to jumpstart their weight loss? If so, what can you recommend? I am in need of a good boost!

Thank you for any feedback!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Nope - Usually once you kick the drugs and alcohol during detox you gain at little weight. At least that's been my experience in watching Intervention. As far as cleansing I suppose you would lose a couple grams in dirt during your shower if you're particularly dirty that day, but it wouldn't be actual weight loss.

But in all seriousness. Just eat at a deficit and try and get some movement in and you'll do fine without wasting your money on a scam detox/cleanse.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    If you're really determined to clean all the waste matter out of your system, go ahead and schedule a colonoscopy. I lost 9 pounds in 36 hours doing the prep.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    you will not find much support for detoxes or clenses around here
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,246 Member
    If you're really determined to clean all the waste matter out of your system, go ahead and schedule a colonoscopy. I lost 9 pounds in 36 hours doing the prep.

LOL! Yep, the colonoscopy prep should do it. I think you can buy the nasty stuff at the pharmacy. OR just drink a bunch of salt water. I bet it will do the same thing.

Seriously though, most people who start eating at a deficit will lose quite a bit in the first week or two, so no real need for a cleanse.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    nmoyer728 wrote: »
    Has anyone done a detox/cleanse to jumpstart their weight loss? If so, what can you recommend? I am in need of a good boost!

What do you think you need to boost?

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member

Just remember, you said ANY feedback....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member

Not sure what you expect it to achieve, but you are almost certainly misinformed as to the need or effectiveness of whatever you deem to be a detox. Folks on MFP get very excited about them, so ready yourself for suitably excited responses. The best detox you can do is one of the mind to sweep away erroneous knowledge about dieting and stick well to the basic principles of losing weight healthily by a sustainable consistent calorific deficit. Dont take the responses personally if they snowball.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    have you livers and kidneys stopped working? If yes, get to a hospital ASAP.

Oh, and you can't jumpstart your metabolism.

Just start eating in a defict.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

^^ agreed. OP please read the link. Lots of good info.

No need to detox or cleanse. Your body has a natural filtration system. Just eat at a deficit and you will lose weight. No jump start required.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Detoxes are basically baloney. You don't need it. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

^^Came here to post this link. Found it's already here. Good job, everyone!

• ndj1979
    something tells me OP will not be back...
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Detoxes are basically baloney. You don't need it. :)

Eating baloney detoxes you? I can live with that.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    My cleanse works really well. I call it the "3F" cleanse. Eat plenty of fat and fiber and drink plenty of fluids. Your liver, kidneys, and digestive system will do a really good job of eliminating waste when you give them all of the advantages.
  • Lowell_Zapata
    Lowell_Zapata Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2015
    Work through a couple of dozen autopsies focusing on the intestinal tract, and you'll believe that the average human has some seriously mucus-coated lower guts. ...That a good psyllium "cleanse" will do a lot towards eliminating.

But, by all means, keep believing your liver is gonna do it.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited May 2015

Work through a couple of dozen autopsies focusing on the intestinal tract, and you'll believe that the average human has some seriously mucus-coated lower guts. ...That a good psyllium "cleanse" will do a lot towards eliminating.

And yet another facepalm.
  • ndj1979
    edited May 2015

please list the toxins that a cleanse will remove that your liver and kidneys do not...
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited May 2015

Um...

That's natural. Your gut is supposed to be mucus-covered.

Just like your mouth is supposed to be full of bacteria.

I'd hate to have my gut not covered in mucus. Then all the sulfuric acid in my stomach would burn right through the intestinal wall.

If you want to back up your claim, please source your scientific evidence that proves that the mucus in your gut is indeed unnatural and needs to be cleansed.

Oh, and the detox/cleanse everyone is talking about is actually in your blood, not in your digestive tract. The detox/cleanse supposedly cleans out you blood/muscles/fat of impurities.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    I promise you, human beings are not dead batteries. We do not need a "jump start" to lose weight. And I won't get started on detoxing/cleansing.

Please just follow the great advice in the post linked above.