Detox/Cleanse

Options
2»

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Work through a couple of dozen autopsies focusing on the intestinal tract, and you'll believe that the average human has some seriously mucus-coated lower guts. ...That a good psyllium "cleanse" will do a lot towards eliminating.

But, by all means, keep believing your liver is gonna do it.

Um...

That's natural. Your gut is supposed to be mucus-covered.

Just like your mouth is supposed to be full of bacteria.

I'd hate to have my gut not covered in mucus. Then all the sulfuric acid in my stomach would burn right through the intestinal wall.

If you want to back up your claim, please source your scientific evidence that proves that the mucus in your gut is indeed unnatural and needs to be cleansed.

Oh, and the detox/cleanse everyone is talking about is actually in your blood, not in your digestive tract. The detox/cleanse supposedly cleans out you blood/muscles/fat of impurities.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I promise you, human beings are not dead batteries. We do not need a "jump start" to lose weight. And I won't get started on detoxing/cleansing.

Please just follow the great advice in the post linked above.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Work through a couple of dozen autopsies focusing on the intestinal tract, and you'll believe that the average human has some seriously mucus-coated lower guts. ...That a good psyllium "cleanse" will do a lot towards eliminating.

But, by all means, keep believing your liver is gonna do it.

Yeah.... I'm good with my liver and kidneys. Thanks.

Also, go ahead and let us know what toxins are supposed to be removed in a cleanse.

wrong-scrubs.gif
  • Lowell_Zapata
    Lowell_Zapata Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Toxins aren't my point. That is indeed the job of the liver & kidneys.

Don't lump "detox" (rarely necessary) with "colon or bowel or intestinal cleanse". They have nothing in common.

Our nutrients (all of them) are absorbed after digestion from our intestine. Medical fact.

If your intestinal wall is thickly coated with the thick, gelatinous, mucus-like residue of a lifetime of fatty foods, this assimilation can be impaired. Medical fact.

Some say it doesn't matter...I disagree.

Many don't care, but I do.

If you're actually interested (which I doubt) do some research.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Toxins aren't my point. That is indeed the job of the liver & kidneys.

Don't lump "detox" (rarely necessary) with "colon or bowel or intestinal cleanse". They have nothing in common.

Our nutrients (all of them) are absorbed after digestion from our intestine. Medical fact.

If your intestinal wall is thickly coated with the thick, gelatinous, mucus-like residue of a lifetime of fatty foods, this assimilation can be impaired. Medical fact.

Some say it doesn't matter...I disagree.

Many don't care, but I do.

If you're actually interested (which I doubt) do some research.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/colon-cleansing/faq-20058435

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/866.html#Action

This says nothing about mucus in the colon. It says psyllium can be helpful for constipation and maybe cholesterol. I personally wouldn't take it.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Taco bell cleanses and detoxes everything for me.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You guys are nothing if not persistent....

This thread has been cleaned up a little to remove posts that violated the following community guidelines:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Please - keep it civil.

Cheers,
    davis_em
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There is some evidence that a fast/detox/cleanse (being very low cal) have a positive effect on hunger signaling sensitivity by possibly reducing leptin resistance ... so, there might be some value in these 'cultural habits' ... however, I've yet to see a proponent of these talk about that research.

It's all about the cleanse. Which is hokum, as none of these cleanses have been shown to clean anything. I've yet to see a valid research paper that demonstrates that a) a cleanse actually reduces intestinal mucous b ) that this is clinically significant in weight loss or health.

There are a lot of clinical cases of hospitalization due to hypoglycemia, dehydration and other issues with these. Yeah, not so good.