Views on corn?

Options

Replies

• sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Corn is just a grain. There's no reason to avoid grains, just count the calories (as you should with everything) and be aware that it's more calorie dense than a non-starchy vegetable.

IMO, fresh sweet corn is one of the best foods ever and I live in a corn producing state, so I eat a ton of it when it's in season and lost lots of weight last year when doing so. I don't tend to eat it out of season since I'm picky about it, but no harm at all from eating a can of it. I'd maybe check how much sodium is in the can and choose frozen instead if that's an issue for you.

(And I agree that 1200 is almost certainly too low for you.)

Same here... live in Iowa so I only eat it straight from the field and in season :smile:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's a plant geneticist on Ted this week talking about how we have been cultivating foodstuffs for generations. Corn is one of them.

25creatures-1-articleInline.jpg

The cob on the left is the ancestor of modern corn, is covered by a hard casing, and you would need a hammer to get to the sweet nut.
  • Misslady702
    Misslady702 Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    And I live in Las Vegas and sure thought that white corn I bought from vons six for a dollar was so so good after it cooked :/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Around here Taber corn is recognized as the best.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Corn is weird. It needs human intervention in order to grow and it has gotten insanely good at getting people to grow it; we grow a friggin' lot of it! Humans and corn truly have a symbiosis. Michael Pollan writes about corn in 'The Omnivore's Dilemma'.

What the *kitten*? Well how did it grow in the first place? Magic little golden nuggets from heaven?

Read the book, 'the Omnivore's Dilemma'. He explains it pretty well. You can read about its origin here too: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

Sorry, random book reference and Wikipedia. Not credible sources. People didn't invent corn from nothing. That's not possible.

Doing this from memory - the wild antecedent of maize is teosinte, and it took a hell of a long time for that to be established because it is so vastly different from domesticated maize. At some point, people started utilising this ancestor, eventually cultivating it, which led to domestication through selecting for desirable traits such as bigger kernels and greater indehiscence (ie kernels that don't fall off when you harvest the ears). Corn has now been bred to be so indehiscent that it is essentially reliant on humans to plant it in order to continue existing :) (or :( from the corn's point of view, if it had one).

Also, it is delicious.
    9wrxe5ccjy15.gif

boop.gif 878.9K
  • jwolford90
    jwolford90 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't get it.

If people are so convinced that 1200 is the way to go, why not eat 600? Why not eat only 1 calorie a day? Call it the "Tic Tac Diet."

Heck, why eat at all.

SMH

I just now saw this. Thanks so much for that incredible feedback, I'm sure your compassionate words radiate hope for so many people. LOL.
  • jwolford90
    Options
    Also, I created this thread just for this purpose. It seems there are always 50/50 battles on this topic. It's like the epic you're vs your battles. :)
  • jwolford90
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Corn is weird. It needs human intervention in order to grow and it has gotten insanely good at getting people to grow it; we grow a friggin' lot of it! Humans and corn truly have a symbiosis. Michael Pollan writes about corn in 'The Omnivore's Dilemma'.

You make corn sound like a sentient being with malicious intent.
    It's just corn.

Evil, evil corn. Mwahahahaha.

Google image search: evil corn
    corn_monster_by_drawnout18-d4gjr4r.jpg

Quite a few images from that result...mostly from GMO/HFCS fearmongers. Poor corn.

I seriously died laughing. Thank you.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There's a plant geneticist on Ted this week talking about how we have been cultivating foodstuffs for generations. Corn is one of them.

25creatures-1-articleInline.jpg

The cob on the left is the ancestor of modern corn, is covered by a hard casing, and you would need a hammer to get to the sweet nut.

And yet someone way back when did just that. Yay!!!
    zyxst wrote: »

What the *kitten*? Well how did it grow in the first place? Magic little golden nuggets from heaven?

Read the book, 'the Omnivore's Dilemma'. He explains it pretty well. You can read about its origin here too: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

Sorry, random book reference and Wikipedia. Not credible sources. People didn't invent corn from nothing. That's not possible.

Doing this from memory - the wild antecedent of maize is teosinte, and it took a hell of a long time for that to be established because it is so vastly different from domesticated maize. At some point, people started utilising this ancestor, eventually cultivating it, which led to domestication through selecting for desirable traits such as bigger kernels and greater indehiscence (ie kernels that don't fall off when you harvest the ears). Corn has now been bred to be so indehiscent that it is essentially reliant on humans to plant it in order to continue existing :) (or :( from the corn's point of view, if it had one).

Also, it is delicious.
    9wrxe5ccjy15.gif

I likes science :) (though I admit it was very bad form to not provide sources so people knew I wasn't just making stuff up :D).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    I get to eat mo butta, so good thing.
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I like corn, but I feel like it has too many calories. Its funny, when you pop it, it doesn't have many at all. Its mostly air.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I can't eat wheat so I rely on corn to fill holes in my diet
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    zombie thread
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    zombie thread

Why have the search function if we can't contribute to old threads? its not like it lost its relevance.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    zombie thread

My kids play a game called Plants vs Zombies, this thread seems like it might have been inspired by that!
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    If you are following a LCHF diet, you will definitely have some water retention from the corn and sodium but it's not going to hurt you. Just don't get on the scale and think OMG!!! It will be water and could show as much as a 5lb difference. You are eating too few calories so this craving you had was real hunger..
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    What's up with all the necro threads lately?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    zombie thread

Why have the search function if we can't contribute to old threads? its not like it lost its relevance.

The OP who asked for the advice is long gone by now and won't see your response.

ETA: the search function is very handy if you have a question and want to see if someone else has already asked/answered it. For instance, if you had a question about protein, searched for it and found a thread that answers your question.
    But answering questions that people asked a long time ago or adding input to conversations long gone by (likely among members who aren't around anymore) isn't as useful.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    jwolford90 wrote: »
    I've heard mixed reviews about corn. I have no idea what to believe. I follow a 1200 calorie diet but I had a major craving today and ate two cans of corn (yes I was THAT hungry lol). I am still under my daily calories but should I avoid splurging on that in the future? I assumed eating corn was a healthier substitute than eating a sandwich, breads, etc.

If you like corn then eat it. I wouldn't live off of it every day but I love corn too. Right now corn on the cob is my favorite. I will pop an ear in the microwave and eat with a little bit of butter and salt. :) I eat it as a snack. It's much better than a chocolate bar, ice cream or chips. ;)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm a 59 year old grandma who has to stick to 1200 calories for good weight loss. You should be doing at least 1800 calories unless you're only 4 ft tall.

That's not true. Why give out false information? I eat 1000-1100 calories per day and that's more than enough for me. I only maintain or gain consistently if I were to eat 1200 every day. Not all bodies are the same. You can't simply tell someone what works for them if you don't know them or their body. :( 1800 calories is a lot!