NoS diet

Options
SkinnyMiss053
SkinnyMiss053 Posts: 65 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've decided that I'm going to do the NoS diet to appease my mom, because she thinks counting calories lead to eating disorders. (Past experience with my sister)

NoS goes like this: NoSnacks, NoSeconds, NoSweets, except "sometimes" on days that start with S. (The creator added the "sometimes" to remind you to not be an idiot on S days and eat a whole gallon of ice cream hehehe) So basically, you're eating 3 meals a day on this diet.

In addition to ensure I am indeed in a caloric deficit, and to ensure I get good nutrition from those three meals, I will also use the USDA MyPlate rule, which means 1/2 the plate is filled with vegetables, 1/4 with protein and 1/4 with starch.

I think this plan will fit effortlessly into my life and I'm hoping it will put my mom at ease as well. :) Opinions?

Replies

• SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    Eh, I wanted to post this is general weight loss help...stupid mobile app. Oh well, an opinion is an opinion I guess. :)
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    Eh, I wanted to post this is general weight loss help...stupid mobile app. Oh well, an opinion is an opinion I guess. :)

Figured out how to move it. :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I think if it works for you, then great. Give it a go for a few weeks, if you're not losing you know to reduce portion sizes a little.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is hard to focus on what you are not going to eat.
    What are you going to eat with this plan? The myplate probably mostly works for most people.
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    What are you going to eat with this plan? The myplate probably mostly works for most people.

You can eat anything as long as it's just 3 physical plates of food a day. It's not restricting food, it's restricting quantity. You can have sweets snacks and seconds on s days (special, sick, Saturday and Sunday), as long as it's still reasonable portions.
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options

You can eat anything as long as it's just 3 physical plates of food a day. It's not restricting food, it's restricting quantity. You can have sweets snacks and seconds on s days (special, sick, Saturday and Sunday), as long as it's still reasonable portions.

The idea is that you will automatically eat healthier filling meals because you only get to eat 3 a day. That's what the creator intended.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

You'd be utterly amazed at what I could fit on a plate if I was only getting 3 a day... I could knock back a 1300 calorie breakfast easy.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

The idea is that you will automatically eat healthier filling meals because you only get to eat 3 a day. That's what the creator intended.

It sounds to me like deciding to go on a big shopping trip and giving yourself a budget, but instead of just taking that amount of money you decide instead to only allow yourself to pay with £5 notes, but you can take as many as you're willing to take. The logic being that because you'll have to take more than if you were using larger notes or cards you won't want to carry as many, and you won't want to buy things that are so expensive because it'll take longer to count out the right amount of notes. It could work, but you could also go way, way over your budget.

If it works for you and you want to do it then go for it, I just know if I was on that diet and believed that as long as I stuck to its rules I would lose weight then I'd be like @Alatariel75 and eating 1000+ calories each meal.
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    I'll give it a go. My mom said I can lose however I want as long as I don't count calories. And I added: or do stupid cleanses and detoxes. ;)
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options

It sounds to me like deciding to go on a big shopping trip and giving yourself a budget, but instead of just taking that amount of money you decide instead to only allow yourself to pay with £5 notes, but you can take as many as you're willing to take. The logic being that because you'll have to take more than if you were using larger notes or cards you won't want to carry as many, and you won't want to buy things that are so expensive because it'll take longer to count out the right amount of notes. It could work, but you could also go way, way over your budget.

If it works for you and you want to do it then go for it, I just know if I was on that diet and believed that as long as I stuck to its rules I would lose weight then I'd be like @Alatariel75 and eating 1000+ calories each meal.

That's why I added the usda myplate rule. If you fill half the plate with non starchy veggies then you can't screw it up too far, well, me at least.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I've decided that I'm going to do the NoS diet to appease my mom, because she thinks counting calories lead to eating disorders. (Past experience with my sister)

NoS goes like this: NoSnacks, NoSeconds, NoSweets, except "sometimes" on days that start with S. (The creator added the "sometimes" to remind you to not be an idiot on S days and eat a whole gallon of ice cream hehehe) So basically, you're eating 3 meals a day on this diet.

In addition to ensure I am indeed in a caloric deficit, and to ensure I get good nutrition from those three meals, I will also use the USDA MyPlate rule, which means 1/2 the plate is filled with vegetables, 1/4 with protein and 1/4 with starch.

I think this plan will fit effortlessly into my life and I'm hoping it will put my mom at ease as well. :) Opinions?

Your profile indicates you are 22. The bolded part is alarming.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you're going on a fad diet to appease your mother?

wow

just wow
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

wow

just wow

It's better than counting calories, apparently. OP - I think being independent and not following a fad is far more important than appeasing your mum.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

That's why I added the usda myplate rule. If you fill half the plate with non starchy veggies then you can't screw it up too far, well, me at least.

Yeah, that makes it better... but I still recon it would be easy to go over. Let's say you have 2 sausages as your protein for breakfast (220 calories), a pork chop for your protein at lunch (500 calories) and a pie for your protein and starch at dinner (550 calories), an avocado for your veg one meal (322 calories), you're already at 1592 (which is already above maintenance for me), and that's not taking into account the rest of the meal parts I haven't mentioned. I know some people might say you probably wouldn't be eating a big meal every meal, but I know if I could never snack I would be absolutely ravenous before each meal and would certainly want the biggest meal I could fit on my plate.

Also, what about fruit? How does that fit in? Are you allowed it?

I can totally understand not wanting to upset your mum, but if this diet doesn't work for you I feel like educating her might be a better approach. Also how would your mum know what you're eating anyway? Do you live with her?
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options

wow

just wow

It's not a fad diet. Read the OP thoroughly before you decide its a fad. :)
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Your profile indicates you are 22. The bolded part is alarming.

Why?
  • Sued0nim
    Options

wow

just wow

on days beginning with an S
    no mention of portion control, healthy choices
    just no seconds, sweets or snacks
    and it comes in a book

fad !
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    qiue3ts0y91o.jpg

wow

just wow

and it comes in a book

fad !

Looks pretty portion controlled to me ;) excuse my half eaten lunch.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    qiue3ts0y91o.jpg

wow

just wow

and it comes in a book

fad !

Fact is, though - you're applying your own logic and knowledge to the fad diet. It doesn't make the base diet itself any less of a fad. You're just smart enough to eat non-starchy veg and lean meats.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    qiue3ts0y91o.jpg

wow

just wow

and it comes in a book

fad !

That's very .. beige :bigsmile:

Where are the vegetables and carbs? Hoping they are in your stomach