Eating Paleo, Dreaming of Grain

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that Paleo doesn't have to be low carb

Good point. It's just stuff that was around when we couldn't speak proply. What was wheat doing back in the paleo era?

Probaby the same thing as almond butter, cows and bullet proof coffee.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: there's a group doing a whole30 right now. They may have some suggestions for how to manage it better. Good luck.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105519-whole30-may-june-2015
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Add in some decent grains, the likes of quinoa and cous cous, maybe some spelt pasta.

We need a varied diet to be healthy.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    MalineVD wrote: »
    @ndj1979 really? that's your comment? Just because you thinks it's *kitten*, doesn't mean it couldn't work well for other people. Paleo isn't about eating buffalo's in your cave. It's about trying to be natural and pure and don't consume too much processed food, but focusing on nutrients our body needs. At least, that's my opinion and vision on paleo and the way I eat. Before someone else starts bashing too.
    Paleo is also just a name..
    You should support people who care enough about their health to try and eat in a more natural way.

There's a sort of presumption there, that other ways of eating don't focus on nutrition. It's false.

Dairy's not nutritious because it's processed? Beans have no nutrition because of some vague woo about phytic acid? There's a lot of psedo-science behind what's considered "natural" and not in Paleo circles. That's the problem a lot of us have with it.

I have no problems with people wanting to eat nutrient-dense foods. None at all. But the claims made in paleo circles about the foods they won't eat are specious.

Also? Put five Paleo eaters in a room. They'll all eat different things, and it's not because of taste preference, it'll be down to whose blogs they read.

I won't even go into how foolish it is to call it "Paleo". Real Paleolithic people ate whatever they could get their grubby little hands on to survive, and none of it looked like what's on your plate now.

Nooooo! You are saying that paleolithic people did not eat sausages and burgers?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This is very easy! You have to decide between following a random set of rules, and eating in a way that is good for YOU. What is most important to YOU?
  • pawamonster
    pawamonster Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Alan Levinovitz gave an interview to the Atlantic on food purity and religious thought, and it's fascinating to see it play out in this thread. For those of you who are interested, here's some of what he said:

"Ideas about religion can be so powerful that people can't endorse them without giving up a part of their identity. It's the same thing with diets. If you've adopted a diet and it's become part of your identity, asking someone to reconsider something as simple as eating sugar or gluten is kind of like asking someone to give up their faith. To admit that the core of their identity is fundamentally mistaken."

If you want to read the whole interview, it's here: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/05/the-puritanical-approach-to-food/392030/
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all. To answer your question, I'm giving this a shot for 30 days as a way to encourage me to be more deliberate about cooking and eating and to add more recipes to my repertoire. I hate to think I'm "cheating," but ultimately, I've got to listen to my body. I think I might start sneaking a bowl of oatmeal in in the morning to help fuel the runs and workouts.

You know what's interesting about you adding oatmeal to me? Oatmeal is what ultimately led me off YEARS of eating low-carb in one form or another.

I have celiac disease and have had it a long time. Oats are inherently gluten free, but most commercial oats are cross contaminated because they're either processed on equipment with wheat or planted as a rotation crop with wheat and there are always volunteers in the fields. Gluten-free oats need to be grown on dedicated fields.

Anyway, because of all of that, gluten-free oats are a relatively new "thing", and when they were first introduced online and I finally heard about them, it was thinking about a hot bowl of oatmeal that did me in. You would think someone would cave for cake or cookies or candy... NOPE. I had to have oatmeal.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    @ndj1979 really? that's your comment? Just because you thinks it's *kitten*, doesn't mean it couldn't work well for other people. Paleo isn't about eating buffalo's in your cave. It's about trying to be natural and pure and don't consume too much processed food, but focusing on nutrients our body needs. At least, that's my opinion and vision on paleo and the way I eat. Before someone else starts bashing too.
    You should support people who care enough about their health to try and eat in a more natural way.

There's a sort of presumption there, that other ways of eating don't focus on nutrition. It's false.

Dairy's not nutritious because it's processed? Beans have no nutrition because of some vague woo about phytic acid? There's a lot of psedo-science behind what's considered "natural" and not in Paleo circles. That's the problem a lot of us have with it.

I have no problems with people wanting to eat nutrient-dense foods. None at all. But the claims made in paleo circles about the foods they won't eat are specious.

Also? Put five Paleo eaters in a room. They'll all eat different things, and it's not because of taste preference, it'll be down to whose blogs they read.

I won't even go into how foolish it is to call it "Paleo". Real Paleolithic people ate whatever they could get their grubby little hands on to survive, and none of it looked like what's on your plate now.

Nooooo! You are saying that paleolithic people did not eat sausages and burgers?

If you believe the Paleo/Crossfit True Believers I know, cavefolk ate chocolate covered bacon and did a metric sht-ton of burpees.

The theories behind Paleo diets are anthropological fanfiction. Paleolithic people likely ate a lot of bugs and grubs. Funny you don't see that much these days.

Also, prehistoric people most definitely ate grains. They usually soaked them for extended periods of time...and often they would ferment. In fact, that lovely fermented soaked grain is often credited with inspiring the dawn of agriculture and more permanent human settlement.

That's right. They made beer, which inspired the creation of civilization as we know it. Huh. Maybe I'll start my own "ancient" diet. Bugs and beer for everyone!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    This is very easy! You have to decide between following a random set of rules, and eating in a way that is good for YOU. What is most important to YOU?

Whole30 isn't a random set of rules. It's a fairly well reasoned elimination diet. Its goals are pretty clear.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

If you believe the Paleo/Crossfit True Believers I know, cavefolk ate chocolate covered bacon and did a metric sht-ton of burpees.

The theories behind Paleo diets are anthropological fanfiction. Paleolithic people likely ate a lot of bugs and grubs. Funny you don't see that much these days.

Also, prehistoric people most definitely ate grains. They usually soaked them for extended periods of time...and often they would ferment. In fact, that lovely fermented soaked grain is often credited with inspiring the dawn of agriculture and more permanent human settlement.

That's right. They made beer, which inspired the creation of civilization as we know it. Huh. Maybe I'll start my own "ancient" diet. Bugs and beer for everyone!

Make these chocolate covered bugs and beer, and you will have more followers ;)
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I've been eating paleo for almost 3 years now. Can't eat gluten due to healthproblems and also wanted to stop eating (added) sugars.
    You'll learn other ways to feel full :)
    The beginning is really hard. I was craving bread and pasta for weeks! You're also feeling the effects of no sugar.. Try to have moooooore protein and good fats. Snacks like an apple with almond butter always fill me up pretty good. I eat meat and fish and eggs like crazy and I always have home made soup in my fridge.

almond butter was around in the Paleolithic era….really???

Dude, it's not whether almond butter was around the Paleolithic era, it's whether one could derive it from a source that would've been around in the Paleolithic era. If it's from a source that one would surmise was around to be eaten by our ancestors then one can conclude a derivative of it would be considered Paleo as well.

If you need more information, consider the following:

http://ultimatepaleoguide.com/almonds-paleo/

It's really easy to do a Google search on a food item and just ask a question regarding it. The Founder of Paleo is included in the search:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=is+almond+paleo

This is really simple stuff. Instead of picking apart someone's comment, try doing the research.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Until people realize that most of these new diet trends come out because someone saw a way to make a buck selling books, cookbooks, meal plans, recipe cards, generate ads on blog posts....and that they're really just being herded into a Marketing Corral, people will insist on "This is the new best way to eat."

The majority of this "healthy diet" info we are being blasted with is slick marketing, and little else.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    my first question is why are you eating paleo? Just out of curiosity.

As for the lethargy yah...low carbs means lack of energy. That's what carbs do for you and are an excellent "brain food"...

and the menu above does not seem like a lot of food to me...how many calories?

A great question: How many calories are you eating?

You're eating carbs. You're just not eating grains. You don't *have* to have grains. Perhaps you're dreaming of bread because you're thinking a lot about the foods you've temporarily eliminated.

But again: are you eating enough calories for your lifestyle?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Why is a "diet" about deprivation? Is it a test of self control and will ppwer?

In review of your diet, for dinner you could have stayed Paleo, and had a cup of quinoa, that would have stayed Paleo, and increased carbs.
  • pawamonster
    pawamonster Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OP: there's a group doing a whole30 right now. They may have some suggestions for how to manage it better. Good luck.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105519-whole30-may-june-2015

Thanks so much! I'll check it out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

In review of your diet, for dinner you could have stayed Paleo, and had a cup of quinoa, that would have stayed Paleo, and increased carbs.

But that wouldn't be following the Whole30 which she says she is doing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I've been eating paleo for almost 3 years now. Can't eat gluten due to healthproblems and also wanted to stop eating (added) sugars.
    The beginning is really hard. I was craving bread and pasta for weeks! You're also feeling the effects of no sugar.. Try to have moooooore protein and good fats. Snacks like an apple with almond butter always fill me up pretty good. I eat meat and fish and eggs like crazy and I always have home made soup in my fridge.

Dude, it's not whether almond butter was around the Paleolithic era, it's whether one could derive it from a source that would've been around in the Paleolithic era. If it's from a source that one would surmise was around to be eaten by our ancestors then one can conclude a derivative of it would be considered Paleo as well.

It's really easy to do a Google search on a food item and just ask a question regarding it. The Founder of Paleo is included in the search:

This is really simple stuff. Instead of picking apart someone's comment, try doing the research.

You're mistaking his goals for posting here.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

On the other side of the world right now, there's a sleeping archaeologist @Nony_Mouse. There. I just Betelgeused her in here.

If you want real Paleo info, she's got it. Not some Paleo blogs.

• LKArgh
    Options

No, because for whole30, quinoa is the devil. Otherwise, how would the people behind the idea been original and sold their book?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

You're mistaking his goals for posting here.

pray tell, what are my goals? Since you seem to have such an intimate knowledge of them...
This discussion has been closed.