MFP Premium

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Question for those of you who have paid for the premium membership: For the option to not include exercise in daily goals... is it just yes or no? Or can I include 75% of my exercise in my daily goals, for example?
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    Any time I run out and grab pizza and wings for the family it's well over $50, so I figure $49/year for a tool to help me meet my goals and stay healthy is a no brainer. I would have liked to try it for a month ($10), but figured I'd then wind up with the annual subscription and would have paid 20% more.

I signed-up for a year of MFP Premium, and have to say I really like several things already.

1. Much easier to enter and change calorie goals (I can set my macros by gram, instead of %) and I can set different goals for different days of the week (i.e. workout/cardio days vs. rest days - which I'm trying to force myself to take).
    2. New Daily Summary Dashboards (I'm now using one that counts down my 3 main macros (Protein, Fat, Carbs) and Calories. Shows the same online or on my App.
    3. Option to not include exercise in my daily goals. This is big because I know my Microsoft Band overestimates (to some degree) calorie burn.
    4. No adds in my News Feed or on my Android App. Nice.

So far, the flexibility of setting my calories and macros (and varying by day) is worth it all right there. I have turned off including exercise in my goals, then changed my goals to use a TDEE calculation for working out as much as I do. For rest days, I've lowered the goals (even though I think TDEE takes days working out into account). But, I can still see my exercise tracked since I want credit for the work.

You know what helps me achieve my goals?

Willpower and determination.

Then I guess you don't even need the free version. Bye!
  • Jilllybeanns
    Jilllybeanns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I still think they'll just keep making the free version more and more unbearable forcing many to either upgrade or jump ship to another site or app. But I'm an optimist.

I will jump ship and manually figure it out on my own if I have too. I am NOT paying $10 for calorie counting. There are just too many free options.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at the features. Meh. Definitely not worth 10 bucks a month or even the $4.15 a month if you get the yearly.

If they had a comprehensive verified food list then may be worth it but didn't mention that.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    [/quote]
    I will jump ship and manually figure it out on my own if I have too. I am NOT paying $10 for calorie counting. There are just too many free options.
    [/quote]

I feel this way too. But I don't fault anyone who purchases it and finds the features beneficial. I was using Fatsecret before and I would probably go back to that if I had too.
  • erianswilliams
    erianswilliams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wish their was an option to try the premium version before actually committing & paying the money. I've lost weight & been able to maintain with the free version. But, I would like to see for myself exactly what the premium version offers.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Nobody is having their free version taken away. Just don't upgrade if there is no value. No need to go find a new solution. Up until yesterday when I upgraded, there were no bugs or issues impacting my use of MFP. Premium has just added functionality that I was willing to pay for.

However, anyone who buys specialty coffee at Starbucks more than once a month should get some perspective. $50 a year works out to $4.08 a month which is less than a Mocha or Latte.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Nobody is having their free version taken away. Just don't upgrade if there is no value. No need to go find a new solution. Up until yesterday when I upgraded, there were no bugs or issues impacting my use of MFP. Premium has just added functionality that I was willing to pay for.

However, anyone who buys specialty coffee at Starbucks more than once a month should get some perspective. $50 a year works out to $4.08 a month which is less than a Mocha or Latte.

Well, you won't find me at Starbucks ever! Lol. I never had any issues with MFP version until I had to update my phone and got the latest MFP version and now there are more ads but that occurred with a couple of my other apps too when I updated. I would be willing to pay $10 a year for it to be ad free with no bonus features!

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

We're not talking about the free version being taken away, but if you have ever used a free site that created a premium version in the past, they always make the free version next to useless over a short period of time, basically forcing people to leave, or pay for the premium version.

Oh, and anyone who buys Starbucks everyday is throwing their money away. This is no different.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

Well, you won't find me at Starbucks ever! Lol. I never had any issues with MFP version until I had to update my phone and got the latest MFP version and now there are more ads but that occurred with a couple of my other apps too when I updated. I would be willing to pay $10 a year for it to be ad free with no bonus features!

How about most apps which are $5-$10 one-time fee for no ads and many premium features! The whole idea of having a subscription is a joke. Obviously Under Armour is just trying to monetize MFP as much as possible.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Pay? No Way!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    It is apparent that MFP corporate is spending their tech dollars developing the premium features, rather than fixing the myriad bugs that exist in their current free version. I find some of the website and app issues annoying, but not enough to jump ship yet. I've used SparkPeople and FitDay for free calorie counting in the past, but I do enjoy the MFP community, friends and challenge groups here. Sticking with MFP free version for now.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Hopefully, as more people sign-up, the Premium Features continue to roll in. Also, for anyone who didn't notice, MFP did roll-out some new functionality to ALL users -
    Starting today, for all users:

Verified foods: We now have hundreds of thousands of foods in our database that have been verified for calorie and nutrition content—this will help take the guesswork out of logging.
    Get better insights with improved graphs: Spot opportunities to improve what you eat by visualizing it in new ways. View your calorie and nutrient intake by day, by week—even by meal!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, as more people sign-up, the Premium Features continue to roll in. Also, for anyone who didn't notice, MFP did roll-out some new functionality to ALL users -

Verified foods: We now have hundreds of thousands of foods in our database that have been verified for calorie and nutrition content—this will help take the guesswork out of logging.
    Get better insights with improved graphs: Spot opportunities to improve what you eat by visualizing it in new ways. View your calorie and nutrient intake by day, by week—even by meal!

Yay! Yay! Hoooray!

• chivalryder
    Options

People have already started threads on how they really liked the old nutritional information page.

Also, the verified foods is only useful if they made it so you can filter out all of the garbage, user-submitted entries from the database.
  • DPDaphne
    DPDaphne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree that Under Armour is just trying to monetize MFP. I'll switch apps before I pay for a subscription for features that are (in my mind) not cost-justifiable. Fortunately, I set my macros goal before the Premium was launched, but now, of course, if I need to change those macros, I have to pay. Ridiculous! If there was significant improvement in the app, I'd consider it. For me, being able to track measurements is crucial. However, not having a "Total Inches Lost" report, but rather each bit of progress displayed only graphically with no numerical summary is mindboggling. I had to develop an Excel spreadsheet to supplement MFP so I could track my inches lost/area and as a total. Reporting tools might entice me to upgrade. Till then, I'll be shopping other apps if needed.
  • Jilllybeanns
    Jilllybeanns Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Do you work for Under Armour or MFP? You sure are adamantly defending the pay option.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options

Do you work for Under Armour or MFP? You sure are adamantly defending the pay option.

No, I just like the options and felt it was with $4 a month. There's nothing to defend in my mind. If you don't think it's worth it, don't pay for it. Simple as that. The argument that UA is going to let the free version die on the vine is silly. Just don't expect bells and whistles for free.
  • jessicaebullock
    jessicaebullock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been having issues since the recent upgrade. My goals are set to lose 1 lb per week and that was allotting me approximately 1670 cal per day. Ever since the upgrade and the premium option has become available my calorie goal has defaulted to 1200 cal per day. Is this happening to anyone else?