Replies

• SkinnyMiss053
    SkinnyMiss053 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    qiue3ts0y91o.jpg
    you're going on a fad diet to appease your mother?

wow

just wow

It's not a fad diet. Read the OP thoroughly before you decide its a fad. :)

on days beginning with an S
    no mention of portion control, healthy choices
    just no seconds, sweets or snacks
    and it comes in a book

fad !

Looks pretty portion controlled to me ;) excuse my half eaten lunch.

That's very .. beige :bigsmile:

Where are the vegetables and carbs? Hoping they are in your stomach

Indeed, I had a potato, and the big half was filled up with carrots and green beans. :)
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have actually tried to do this diet not to lose weight but to stop my habit of snacking and grazing. It don't think it's a fad diet at all, it is actually how people in a lot of other cultures eat.

For me it didn't work though for weight loss. I have heard of a lot of people who have had success with it though.

The No S Diet has their own support forum, I would check it out. This is a calorie counting forum so you aren't really going to a lot of support for a completely different way of eating.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without counting calories. I think people like to count calories because it gives them more control and an ability to estimate how much they will lose. I see no reason to think it leads to eating disorders. I expect that a person with disordered thinking could have disordered thinking no matter what method they use to reduce intake or increase activity. I saw a show on OCD that had a woman on there that spent most of her day on a treadmill, because she was afraid she would gain weight.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'll give it a go. My mom said I can lose however I want as long as I don't count calories. And I added: or do stupid cleanses and detoxes. ;)

Why? I've lost over 150 pounds by eating smaller portions & counting calories. Sure there was a time where I was binging & restricting for a few months which could've led to an eating disorder, but I stopped it in its tracks.

All you need to do to lose weight technically is eat in a deficit, but if you're not accurately tracking your calories or weighing your food then you could maintain or gain.

Really you need to find what works for you. Just remember that you could fill your three plates up with healthier foods like veggies, fruits, lean meats, grains, etc. but just know that you can just as easily gain weight by overeating healthier foods as you can junk foods. To be successful in weight loss you have to want to do it for yourself & not because someone is basically holding a gun at your head forcing you to.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without counting calories. I think people like to count calories because it gives them more control and an ability to estimate how much they will lose. I see no reason to think it leads to eating disorders. I expect that a person with disordered thinking could have disordered thinking no matter what method they use to reduce intake or increase activity. I saw a show on OCD that had a woman on there that spent most of her day on a treadmill, because she was afraid she would gain weight.

I think that people who have eating disorders from counting calories already have thoughts of disordered eating or had problems with eating disorders in the past.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Frankly - it sounds ridiculous.

I really don't understand why people try to complicate something is so beautiful in its simplicity with so many random and unnecessary rules.

I mean if it works for you, great...I've got no issues with it. But I'm a big proponent of K I S S
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've decided that I'm going to do the NoS diet to appease my mom, because she thinks counting calories lead to eating disorders. (Past experience with my sister)

NoS goes like this: NoSnacks, NoSeconds, NoSweets, except "sometimes" on days that start with S. (The creator added the "sometimes" to remind you to not be an idiot on S days and eat a whole gallon of ice cream hehehe) So basically, you're eating 3 meals a day on this diet.

In addition to ensure I am indeed in a caloric deficit, and to ensure I get good nutrition from those three meals, I will also use the USDA MyPlate rule, which means 1/2 the plate is filled with vegetables, 1/4 with protein and 1/4 with starch.

I think this plan will fit effortlessly into my life and I'm hoping it will put my mom at ease as well. :) Opinions?

So, your mother's opinion based on her experience with one person outweighs information based on millions of successful people? You are asking for opinions, so I will give you mine. 1/4 of plate for a portion of protein can give you a lot of calories, depending on what kind of meat you choose. Same with starch (pasta, etc). No mention of what you are topping said starch with. Since you are going into this with absolutely no idea what your caloric needs for a day are, you are set up for two possible scenarios: overeating and undereating. Quite unlikely that you'll be able to accurately guess what you need for a deficit to lose weight safely or maintain.

You will find this not sustainable. you need to do what's right for you (not what your mother wants - you're an adult).
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Oh right... you were the OP from http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10153004/counting-calories-eating-disorder/p1

I don't think you should be doing anything to appease your mom. There doesn't seem to be a very healthy relationship with food going on in your household.

It's your body, eat what and when you want. Not sure why at 22 you're letting your mom dictate your diet... but that's just me.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    This is the plate you'll be using, right?

der-133-g-with-big-plate.jpg
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    To succeed at this, you need to be willing to make your own decision about what is best for you. How you manage your weight is not up to your mom.

The truth is, the No S diet sounds OK. It's not magic and equally as likely to create problems as calorie counting is. You are more likely and more easily going to lose weight through calorie counting because calories are what count for weight loss. You can lose weight eating according to myplate and limiting sweets (I lost 40 pounds previously that way), but honestly, I am so glad I decided to count calories this time because it gives me more awareness, focus, clarity, and flexibility.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I lost a good deal of weight doing something similar...basically I tried to keep my portions within the recommended serving sizes and balancing out my diet. I also made it a rule to have some kind of veg at every meal and a serving of fruit or two a day. I still snacked, but I snacked primarily on veggies or a serving of fruit. I still use the no seconds rule most of the time.

I lost a good 20 Lbs basically "cleaning" up my diet and eating better and eating in more reasonable portions. I didn't really get onto MFP until I started getting back into fitness. When I started on MFP I found that what I was doing to begin with was, for the most part, lining up with my calorie goals on MFP.

I logged for a good while and counted calories, but I was one of those people for which this really wasn't healthy. I didn't develop an eating disorder, but I got pretty obsessive about things and it got to the point where it was really upsetting my wife because I would refuse to go out to dinner if I didn't know how many calories my meal was, etc. A lot of people do just fine with calorie counting and others don't. Calorie counting did teach me how to monitor my intake better and I learned a lot doing it, it just wasn't a long term solution for me.

I've maintained my weight loss for 2 years without logging...I eat very well and exercise regularly.
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I really don't understand why people try to complicate something is so beautiful in its simplicity with so many random and unnecessary rules.

I mean if it works for you, great...I've got no issues with it. But I'm a big proponent of K I S S

I don't understand why people think it's ridiculous. It's basically telling you to eat 3 meals a day instead of 6 and try to save the sweets for special occasions or eat less of them. For me, I don't see how it can NOT fit into my life or even be sustained for life.

The guy who created it was a programmer who got a bit chubby and invented it for himself. (Yes he's not even a doctor or a scientist) Then put it out there to help others who are like minded. Yes there's a book, but it only came out much later than the actual diet, and there's nothing in it that he doesn't tell you for free on the website, so no he's not TRYING to sell anything.

I guess I can see how it would be messed up by someone who knows NOTHING about nutrition. But I know enough to be able to judge good food combinations. I'm smart enough to not use triple cheese pasta, deep fried chicken, and avocado to fill my divided plate. USDA says lean protein (deep fried is not lean), complex carbs (but the triple cheese ain't helping you), and NON-STARCHY vegetables (avocado does not count as one). It's using common sense IMHO. :)
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    This is the plate you'll be using, right?

der-133-g-with-big-plate.jpg

Uh nope.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I don't understand why people think it's ridiculous. It's basically telling you to eat 3 meals a day instead of 6 and try to save the sweets for special occasions or eat less of them. For me, I don't see how it can NOT fit into my life or even be sustained for life.

Yet there are other diet plans that tell you to eat 6 meals a day for the same results.

This is why everyone says it's silly.
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options

Yet there are other diet plans that tell you to eat 6 meals a day for the same results.

This is why everyone says it's silly.

Yes, but they say you will lose more weight eating that way (faster metabolism yada yada). The reason for 3 meals here is to cut down on the amount of food you eat. (That is, cut down on calories).
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    When you post on a calorie-counting website, it makes sense that people will advocate calorie counting.

Since the diet you intend to follow specifically avoids calorie counting, it doesn't really align with the methods used on this website to lose weight. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with it, per se, just that it's not something that fits into the framework provided here.

If you don't lose weight (or even gain weight) on your NoS diet, you can always come back and use MyFitnessPal to track your food intake.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'll give it a go. My mom said I can lose however I want as long as I don't count calories. And I added: or do stupid cleanses and detoxes. ;)

Are you really 22? Why do you need your mom's permission to do anything, let alone eat?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

The guy who created it was a programmer who got a bit chubby and invented it for himself. (Yes he's not even a doctor or a scientist) Then put it out there to help others who are like minded. Yes there's a book, but it only came out much later than the actual diet, and there's nothing in it that he doesn't tell you for free on the website, so no he's not TRYING to sell anything.

I guess I can see how it would be messed up by someone who knows NOTHING about nutrition. But I know enough to be able to judge good food combinations. I'm smart enough to not use triple cheese pasta, deep fried chicken, and avocado to fill my divided plate. USDA says lean protein (deep fried is not lean), complex carbs (but the triple cheese ain't helping you), and NON-STARCHY vegetables (avocado does not count as one). It's using common sense IMHO. :)

Avocado is a non-starchy veg...it is a nutritional powerhouse and is an outstanding source of healthy fat. I eat 1/2 an avocado pretty much every single day. Also, there's nothing wrong with having a startchy veg to sub for a grain side. I get what you're saying, but you might want to brush up on nutrition...
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Avocado is a non-starchy veg...it is a nutritional powerhouse and is an outstanding source of healthy fat. I eat 1/2 an avocado pretty much every single day. Also, there's nothing wrong with having a startchy veg to sub for a grain side. I get what you're saying, but you might want to brush up on nutrition...

Okay. Rephrase: Low calorie vegetables, which happen to mostly be non starchy too.

And I hate avocado. So. Hahaha
  • SkinnyMiss053
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Are you really 22? Why do you need your mom's permission to do anything, let alone eat?

I don't need her permission. I just hate her freaking out so much. She's a drama queen when it comes to this stuff. And she's going to start making all sorts of snide comments to get me to stop, which probably will make me stop and then yell at her and then I'm the lowest of lowest dogs in the family and such.

She's not like this with everything so I figured I'll make this one exception to let her chill out a bit.