MFP Premium

Options
13»

Replies

• tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    $10 /mth is a gym membership at planet fitness and like anything else if you don't use it then it won't work. I rather stick to the free version of MFP.
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    DO NOT have mfp premium...My MAIN reason for liking mfp is that it is FREE...I did Weight Watchers for a year, but got tired of paying for it, stopped, and gained all the weight back...Weight loss is hard enough without having to PAY to do it...Just my opinion...
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    How do you access "verified" foods?
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I never had an issue with this site until the last few updates, the main page can't even calculate my calories left without giving me an error message. I'm starting to think they're killing the site to sell this premium package. I don't have a smart phone so i couldn't get it even if i wanted but seems to me the quality of the main site is going down since they started the premium stuff. This keeps up i'm going to just use a piece of paper to figure out my calories.
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been having issues since the recent upgrade. My goals are set to lose 1 lb per week and that was allotting me approximately 1670 cal per day. Ever since the upgrade and the premium option has become available my calorie goal has defaulted to 1200 cal per day. Is this happening to anyone else?
    I'm having the same issue...now I'm thinking I should just get the premium but I just want the old mfp...I didn't need all of those updates
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If they did get rid of the free service and went to a paid service the only way I would join is if they had a department dedicated to maintaining an accurate food database. Also, I would be fine with keeping the user food database, but it should be made separate from the "official" database. It does suck trying to weed through all the inaccurate items in the db. The food database is the most vital part of this website/app I just wish it was improved and cleaned up.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Not paying.
    I'm on maintenance, so all I care about is the calorie count.
    Entries in grams? Big deal. I don't know a gram from a kilo-Newton or a mega-Pascal. Second verse? I don't need to know; don't care to know.
    I'm willing to spend an extra 5 minutes/day on a spreadsheet instead of paying one penny.
    No ads? Big deal. Adblocker is free.
    Sorry, UA.

• AlisonKTrader
    AlisonKTrader Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused by all these "bugs" people are having. I have never had an issue with my app or with accessing it in my browser. What kind of issues are y'all having? I love MFP and I understand the reason for making a paid option. I do not believe for second that they will make the free option disappear. There are a ton of apps that are free but have premium options you pay for.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's enough to justify switching to premium right now. I'd rather that $10 a month go into savings to help build my buffer before paying for fall semester classes. The free version works fine for me, I only occasionally run into bugs, and I'm happy with what I use right now. If they offered a much better way of counting exercise calories by syncing properly to fitbit or something similar, that might be worth looking into, but as of now, there's just not anything premium offers that I care about. I'm not saying I wouldn't pay for a premium membership in the future (as long as the free version doesn't get nerfed), but not right now.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »

When you search for a food in the database, the verified foods will have a big green check mark next to them.

Really? I've never seen the big green check. However, there is an asterisk next to the user submitted items. My point is if you search for "Orville Redenbacher popcorn" all that should show up is 1 verified item for each flavor/type of Orville Redenbacher popcorn. Not 50 of the same item all with different portion sizes and inaccurate macros.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

When you search for a food in the database, the verified foods will have a big green check mark next to them.

Really? I've never seen the big green check. However, there is an asterisk next to the user submitted items. My point is if you search for "Orville Redenbacher popcorn" all that should show up is 1 verified item for each flavor/type of Orville Redenbacher popcorn. Not 50 of the same item all with different portion sizes and inaccurate macros.

I also don't see a green check mark, but then maybe I've never logged a "verified" food. In that case, the database of "verified" food is way too small and incomplete to work.

Here's the secret of the database: Just about everything is "user submitted." MFP relies primarily on users to keep the database correct. The problem is that there is very little oversight, so duplicate or inaccurate entries never get cleaned up. For example, if I search for "Clif Bar White Chocolate Macadamia Nut" - this has the nutrition facts on the wrapper, so I can easily verify it - there are a whole bunch of entries. Nearly all of them are correct (they should be because this one is easy to find nutrition facts). None of them are verified. There is a lot of duplication, which makes things messy. Now try to do this with something that is not as easy to look up the nutrition facts.

*There is 1 item that comes up with that search that is provided by the manufacturer, Sodexo Campus, which is not the item I'm eating.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Who is verifying the foods? The ones I've checked are wrong. They'll also go out of date with every product size, serving or recipe change. Who's going to monitor that internationally?

As for premium-
    Macros - adjust the percentages until your required gram goals are shown.
    Exercise calories - don't want them? Don't log them.

The app and site are still ridiculously bugged, and I find it hard to believe an MFP tech uses it to try and log their food accurately. Editing database while multifood adding still loses the selected foods. It's been at least four years MFP. You still can't correct food items when scanned, at least four years MFP.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

I'm sorry. 99.5% of the time I'm using the app instead of the website. I didn't realize the web still had the asterisks. I guess the app is where the verified checks are because this is what I see there....

c0j1rn28ksgp.jpg

There is not even a verified item there for each type of popcorn that Orville Redenbacher makes.

Just to see if it works on the Android app, I went ahead and tried my search for a specific product and got no verified items there. When I search for "Clif bar" (a much more broad/vague search), I actually got some verified items. I log sometimes using the web browser and sometimes using the app. This is the first time I've seen the green check mark and I've been using both since 2013.

Recap: So the only way to find verified items is to search using a really vague search, which brings up more results... some of which are verified (none of the verified items are what I am eating, though). Basically this is my original point: There are too few verified items in the database, and otherwise the database is a mess.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    So what do you do when the ingredients and therefore nutritional content of a verified item changes? It will no longer be verified, but MFP will say it's verified...
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    For those if you using premium. I know you can turn off exercise calories but does it still show exercise performed but not change calorie allowance. I am considering changing as I follow a specific plan from a coach and calories/macros change throughout the week. I really enjoy getting g the credit for exercise though.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Thanks that helps a lot.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I think there are a few places it's not fully integrated, or at least to me it seems so. For example, when you complete your diary for the day, if you (or anyone else) goes in to view it, your exercise is included so you'll always show as being under your goal if you didn't eat back those calories. Also when the information blurbs come up in your diary (if they are turned on) they seem to assume you are including exercise calories in your goal. To me it seems like MFP forgot those items had logic to include exercise calories and didn't change the code to allow for the new option. Other than that is works great.