Best breakfast for weight loss?

lt13171
lt13171 Posts: 11 Member
I usually have a small bowl of cereal and banana for breakfast, but find I am always hungry and snacking by 11am. What is a good breakfast to stay fuller for longer but still very healthy? Thanks!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Try eating something with protein. Greek yogurt maybe.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    you need protein to keep you full. cereals are usually loaded with stuff your body doesn't really need. i would go with 2 hard boiled eggs (eat the whites only if you don't like the yolk).
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    You can add more protein to help you feel full longer. (eggs, greek yogurt, protein shake)

What time do you eat breakfast? There's nothing wrong with needing a snack mid-morning if you eat breakfast earlier. For example, I eat breakfast around 6:30 am, so by around 9:30 I am ready for a snack.
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Im in the same habit of cereal, banana and I add once slice of "Alpine Valley - Organic 12 Grain With Omega Three Bread" Its just 45 calories and I find that the difference to feeling full for me. My wife adds a lil natural peanut butter to hers.

Ok, full was a lie. Im never full anymore, but Im satisfied. I think full is how I got to 300 pounds in my 40s. LOL
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    I tried eating cereal instead of my usual and was hungry soon after. I find if I mix protein with fiber, I stay full. My favorite is egg white omelet or scrambled egg whites with sauteed veggies. Vegetables can vary. I like mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes and zucchini. Whole wheat toast on the side is good. I'm not a fan of sugar free but the low sugar jams are pretty good.

I didn't have vegetables this morning so I had a egg fried with nonstick spray, refried beans and some bacon.

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    I usually have eggs and toast and maybe one piece of sausage and it keeps me full til lunch.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    protein and fat are satiating...cereal is not, at least not by itself or just with fruit.

I usually have eggs with either pinto beans or eggs with some oats during the week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2015
    Protein, fat, and fiber are filling.

Is your cereal high protein and /or high fiber? Does your milk have some fat in it?

Kashi GoLean Original is high protein and high fiber. Oatmeal made with milk, add some chopped nuts. Special K original has decent protein numbers....your banana has fiber.

I love Greek yogurt, I sprinkle Grapenuts cereal in it.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    I love breakfast, I find it the easiest meal to keep under 300 cal...I'm known to eat multiple breakfast-style meals a day just to make reducing easier!

I always...ALWAYS have some sort of egg based deliciousness. I use the carton egg whites, and, unless I'm storing up calories for later, I beat in one or two whole eggs with the whites. I fill a skillet with veg (always mushrooms and then something green...broccoli, kale, broccoli raab, spinach...) and sautee/steam with a tablespoon or two of water, then add my egg mixture and scramble. At the end, I turn off the heat and sprinkle about half an ounce of shredded sharp cheddar on top and cover so it melts. Serve with Cholula hot sauce, and that's 75% of my mornings for you. I often follow up with a whole grapefruit as a bit of a brightening to my morning as well.

This morning I tried something different...grilled a large portobella cap on both sides, then filled "fin" side with shredded toscano kale and covered to steam. Put a poached egg on top and YUMMY BENEDICT for about 150 calories. I was satisfied with that meal until 4pm.

My early morning recipe for success always includes protein and fiber. (and caffeine) If I go for a low-fiber carb breakfast (like pancakes or waffles) I'm starving by lunchtime. I'm more satisfied with an ounce of sharp cheddar and Triscuits, to be honest.

Many people on here will tell you that fat and protein are the keys to feeling satisfied. I, personally, don't feel satisfied by a meal unless there are some carbohydrates in there, too. Everyone is different, figure out what works for you.
  • theresaTerriM
    theresaTerriM Posts: 28 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Protein, fat, and fiber are filling.

Is your cereal high protein and /or high fiber? Does your milk have some fat in it?

Kashi GoLean Original is high protein and high fiber. Oatmeal made with milk, add some chopped nuts. Special K original has decent protein numbers....your banana has fiber.

I love Greek yogurt, I sprinkle Grapenuts cereal in it.

Exactly this. You should have both protein AND fiber in your morning meals to keep you satiated longer. Women need 25 grams of fiber per day, men need 38 grams per day. You'll see reports of 25-30 grams per day, but most health officials state 25 for women and 38 for men.

I aim to do at least 8 grams of fiber for my breakfast which really helps keep me full till my mid-morning snack. I also eat every 3 hours, small meals, to keep me from getting hungry and over eating. Also, I drink 2 full glasses of cold water first thing in the mornings, this fills me up too, adding to my satiation till lunch time. Drinking water in the morning has been known in studies to boost metabolism by as much as 24%.
    http://www.newhealthguide.org/Drinking-Water-In-The-Morning.html

:smile:
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Answer -- the one that will keep you full until the next meal, that is within your calorie budget for breakfast. For me, pancakes w/ eggs, bacon, and tea works best. But I have a large budget.
  • lt13171
    lt13171 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm only allowed 1200 calories a day. Possibly thinking of switching to two eggs on a piece of wholegrain toast - does that sound ok?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I hardly ever have cold cereal for breakfast any more. I tried it this week and it just doesn't do it for me like it used to. I need more protein. I might do that by adding a walnut (two halves), having an egg, peanut butter on toast, or hot oatmeal with greek yogurt.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    lt13171 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm only allowed 1200 calories a day. Possibly thinking of switching to two eggs on a piece of wholegrain toast - does that sound ok?

Sounds great! See if you like it and if it keeps you full. If not, try something else.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Ditto others re: protein. I alternate between cottage cheese and oatmeal with peanut butter added in.

I swear cereal makes me more hungry, faster. :)
  • theresaTerriM
    edited May 2015
    You have to be really careful with eating TOO much protein though, it can make you constipated! So you really have to have both protein AND fiber!! I have learned this the hard way, too much protein = constipation. It's imperative that you balance it with the suggested daily fiber health officials recommend! Seriously!! :wink:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/253065-signs-symptoms-of-too-much-protein-in-the-diet/

Not making this up lol :blush:
  • b3astmod3asy
    b3astmod3asy Posts: 4 Member
    lt13171 wrote: »

I think the two eggs on a piece of wholegrain will help in making you stay fuller and longer! If you don't mind veggies, you can throw in spinach, tomatoes, avacados, etc. in it to mix it up from day to day. Also, drink plenty of water to replenish your body. I'm on a 1200 something calorie limit too. Just depends on what you're eating??? For me, I noticed that eating tons of greens help me stay full as well. My body is at a place where it likes to eat whole foods and not something out of the box... if you can get to that, I'd say, ditch the cereal and milk. Peanut butter on banana helps to stay full too.
  • menabino
    menabino Posts: 3 Member
    My new go to breakfast is a rice cake with humus and a couple slices of lean deli turkey or chicken. I have a Greek yogurt too, or cottage cheese and fruit. That keeps me filled until lunch.
  • theresaTerriM
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You have to be really careful with eating TOO much protein though, it can make you constipated! So you really have to have both protein AND fiber!! I have learned this the hard way, too much protein = constipation. It's imperative that you balance it with the suggested daily fiber health officials recommend! Seriously!! :wink:

Nope

Haha, several years ago I trained for a body figure competition and was on a high protein diet. I was eating chicken till it came out of my ears and drinking tons of protein shakes. After a month of the diet I got severe intestinal cramping and bloating. Had to see a doctor and he asked about my diet, I explained how I was told by my PT to follow this "diet" for the competition. He said that was why I was so constipated and told me to take stool softeners (TMI sorry) Unfortunately for me, my PT was not a nutritionist and was not having me eat enough fiber, and when I told her what the doc said she was like..."oh yeah, I didn't think about that, sorry" and then had me incorporate more fiber through veggies, fruits, etc. while still maintaining the competition diet she had me on. NOW, however, she warns all her clients about this and works more fiber into their meal plans. Just sad that I had to be the guinea pig lol.
    I've worked with and talked to Registered Dieticians since then and they told me that women need 25 and men 38 grams of fiber daily. The link I provided is not a lie. I'm just saying...protein AND fiber is wise. That's all. :smile: lol
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm also on a low calorie diet and I make simple frittatas for breakfast. Last night I made two: broccoli and cheese & cabbage and bacon. Big hit at my brunch today for work and around 140 calories for 1/4 of each.

You can make one and heat up a piece every morning.