Coffee While Dieting - Yes, or No???

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    213tim wrote: »
    Go defame somewhere else please!

You weren't defamed. Someone disagreed with your opinion.

• 213tim
    213tim Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Go defame somewhere else please!

You weren't defamed. Someone disagreed with your opinion.

Thank you! I have much respect for your answer.
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Caffeine is listed in the strongest classification as a substantial neurotoxin by the EPA.

Here's just a few other things that the EPA lists as neurotoxins: aspartame, THC, monosodium glutamate (MSG), fluoride, bisphenol A. In other words, that's artificial sweeteners, weed, Chinese food, tap water, and canned foods.
    Most people whom have had acid reflux know or have been told to drop coffee. I know a few such people.

That's because coffee is acidic, not because it has caffeine. They were likely also told to avoid citrus sodas like Sprite and things like orange juice.
    Caffeine bypasses the barriers to the fetus and the breast resulting in feeding the baby caffeine before it is even born (HOOKED).

Alcohol crosses the placental barrier, too. That doesn't mean men and nonpregnant women can't drink booze.
    Science? Actually I just touched on the surface and did not include a number of health issues. The difference is I pointed to an actual supposedly reliable source of the EPA with one of my claims.

Bodybuilders are the masters of cutting body fat while preserving lean body mass. For decades, they've used caffeine (and ephedrine) to suppress appetite in order to achieve the appropriate caloric deficit required to lose body fat. I am not sure how you can argue that. Everything has health issues -- the latest and greatest includes not eating grilled red meat because cancer. Black coffee is totally fine, and actually, there was a study in February in humans that found drinking dark roast coffee protects against DNA breakage.

Sure, be reasonable about your caffeine intake (just like you should be reasonable about your alcohol intake), and be sure to log honestly about whatever you add to your coffee. But it's absolutely fine to drink coffee and the caffeine will suppress your appetite, making it easier to stick to a caloric deficit.

(edited to fix formatting)
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Why not drink milk with coffee ? Has heaps of vitamins and nutrients in it and tastes good.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I drink several cups. I have my primary cup with my breakfast. I put one tbsp heavy cream, one tbsp butter, one tbsp coconut oil, one tbsp sugar-free creamer and two tbsp whipped cream. I sweeten with liquid stevia. It keeps me full for most of the day, which is wonderful.

This sounds awesome. You should sell this recipe to Starbucks.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Coffee being healthy is one of the biggest lies and once a person is hooked, it becomes a life time crutch.

Lots of bad science here, but I'll focus in on this particular scare tactic.

OP seems to drink it already, so it's probably too late, but I don't see why it's the one thing you apparently can't quit here.

I have never found it that tough to quit. Yes, a bad few days sometimes.

Of course, I generally do choose to drink it again because I enjoy the way it tastes. No doubt that's my altered brain fooling me.

To the original poster, I guess I was not fair. If you can go without coffee, GREAT, else drink it black if you can (that I cannot do).

I don't know why drinking real coffee would be difficult. It tastes far better black.

Not really the topic raised by your post, though. Just kind of oddly contradictory.
    Your information provides some contradiction and much self opinion, finalized with sarcasm, with no counter of facts to the information provided.

I'll argue with the "information provided" when information supporting the rather extreme claims--once hooked, life time crutch!--is provided. It has not been, and I don't believe it can be.
    There is a different need for the ability to keep focus and need for caffeine, not calling it an addiction.

Whatever, addiction wouldn't bother me much--it's certainly possible to be physically dependent in a way on caffeine which is why it's unpleasant (for a short time) to quit.
    If I were a landscaper or more physical job I would likely be able to drop coffee or drink only when I want. Being a programmer and data analyst, I require extensive focus and coffee is something I find myself coming back to in order to remain seated and accomplish focused tasks. Because I am hooked.

Or maybe because you don't get enough sleep or have issues with focusing that caffeine helps you with and would even if you'd never previously had it.
    My 1 or 2 cups of coffee a week now is much less than my 8 cups a day a couple years back. I no longer wake up with headaches!

This sounds like it's in fact an addiction (or whatever) that can be kicked.
    Most people whom have had acid reflux know or have been told to drop coffee.

This offers no support for your claim that it alters your brain forever.
    Caffeine bypasses the barriers to the fetus and the breast resulting in feeding the baby caffeine before it is even born (HOOKED).

Doctors these days actually say that coffee in moderation during pregnancy can be fine, but in any case this offers no support for your claim that it alters the brain of an adult forever.
    The couple friends that I know that have gone through heart surgery have been strictly told by their doctor to remove caffeine from their diet completely.

Again, no support for the claim in question. It's not exactly shocking that people with certain health conditions might not benefit from caffeine, given its effects.
    Tell me where you find error in my statements and I will provide reference.

I thought I was pretty clear before, but that caffeine alters your brain forever and that once you get "hooked" you can't quit it.

Defame, LOL!
  • Nerruse
    Nerruse Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy drinking coffee? If yes, then keep drinking it. If no, then stop. Personally I drink 2-3 cups per day (a small amount of creamer, no sugar) and it hasn't hampered me any. I just make it fit into my goals because I enjoy it and would like to remain out of jail; caffeine withdrawal is a beast, haha. I think that's more negative of an effect than going without will ever be.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have lost 175 pounds and drink a cup every morning
  • surfteam1689
    surfteam1689 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    What are the negative effects you read? I find it's a decent appetite suppressant. But even if it weren't, it's like no calories black, and I love it so...so much.

When I did the Ideal Protein Diet, my weight-loss coach said "NO COFFEE". I just followed the rules without asking why and lost weight through Ketosis. But I'm back on coffee now. :-)
  • surfteam1689
    Options
    Just drink it if you like it coffee won't harm your weight loss. Just out of pure curiosity (because little short of death will part me from my coffee) what is so bad about coffee and/or coffee mate?

I don't know what is *supposed* to be bad about coffee during a diet - perhaps the "dehydration"??? However, when I did the Ideal Protein Diet, my weight-loss coach said "NO COFFEE". I just followed the rules without asking why and lost weight through Ketosis. But I'm back on coffee now. I do the Sugar-Free Coffee Mate and at the end of the day still manage to stay around 1450 Calories. :-)
  • surfteam1689
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    The only negative effects I could imagine would happen if you load your coffee with cream, sugar, flavoring, etc. and don't budget out your calories appropriately. The coffee itself is not a problem at all. I budget 1 cup of milk (2% of whole) each day for my coffee. No problems whatsoever with losing.

When I did the Ideal Protein Diet, my weight-loss coach said "NO COFFEE" because it would dehydrate me too much, and I would have to drink more water to compensate, which could mess up my electrolytes. I'm back on coffee now. I do the Sugar-Free Coffee Mate French Vanilla, log every Calorie, and at the end of the day still manage to stay around 1450 Calories. :-)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    The only negative effects I could imagine would happen if you load your coffee with cream, sugar, flavoring, etc. and don't budget out your calories appropriately. The coffee itself is not a problem at all. I budget 1 cup of milk (2% of whole) each day for my coffee. No problems whatsoever with losing.

When I did the Ideal Protein Diet, my weight-loss coach said "NO COFFEE" because it would dehydrate me too much, and I would have to drink more water to compensate, which could mess up my electrolytes. I'm back on coffee now. I do the Sugar-Free Coffee Mate French Vanilla, log every Calorie, and at the end of the day still manage to stay around 1450 Calories. :-)

The whole idea of coffee being dehydrating has always puzzled me. I might understand it being less hydrating than 100% water but the drink itself is mostly water. So the idea of it somehow reducing the amount of water inside of you after drinking it doesn't make sense to me.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I drink a pot of coffee a day (sometimes more) and I haven't seen any problems. Load it down with calories and that could be a problem.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,008 Member
    Options
    galvitron1 wrote: »
    Keep the coffee because
    1. It contains antioxidants
    2. It helps to raise heart rate, thus burning more calories
    3. It counts as water intake. The amount of water lost via caffeine is negligible compared to the intake.
    4. Coffee helps you to clear out...um..."solid waste" better, which is one of the main mechanisms for unwanted weight exiting the body

+1

I drink 2-3 cups of black coffee every morning. :)

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Caffeine interferes with the operation of many organs and imbalances a person's metabolism (it is a diuretic because the body is doing its best to get the crap out of your body).

...that's not how diuretics work...the kidneys aren't sentient...
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I drank one cup of coffee a day while pregnant with both my kids, and while breastfeeding, and yet my toddler has had no coffee or caffeine containing foods, even after weaning.... How on earth is she hooked?
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    While dieting. Hmm. What about the rest of your life? Will you want to go back to it after you've stopped dieting or is it a permanent change? Cos if it won't work long term then maybe just keep drinking it. Google the benefits of drinking it, there's plenty of those as well
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    IIt's a low calorie pleasure and how many of those are there? !!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I still drink coffee but I've never drank more than 2 cups a day anyway. I personally do not do artificial sweeteners. I take mine with raw turbinado sugar and milk. If you can afford to have it in your calories I don't see why not, just make sure to drink plenty of water.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a necessity. I drink mine black.