Body Shamming and Shark Fitness

Options
124»

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I'm not in favor of him putting pictures on his Facebook page, but I would really like to know how 2 nachos, 2 pretzels, and 3 sodas at a stadium can be 1,400 calories. Even if the sodas were diet (and thus 0 calories), I get more than 1,400 calories from 2 plates of nachos and 2 pretzels.

The point is why is she being judge for what she eats. So what it more than 1400 calories. It still does not change the fact that some fools have nothing better to do than watch someone eat.

Right. At 20 pounds overweight, I still usually refuse to eat in public (or I only eat tiny portions so everyone can see how much I leave on my plate) because of ish like this. All I think about is what everyone else is thinking about my consumption. And then just when I almost convince myself that's crazy talk, this comes along to remind me that it isn't, that people really are just sitting there hating and judging.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Wait. Wut???? This isn't a real response? Someone just pretended to be her and respond on her behalf? And the trainer is being accused of exaggerating about how much food she ate?

Meanwhile the response is completely fabricated. Trainer may be a douche, but the guy writing fake responses is far douchier.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI, the "response" isn't a response from the woman at the game, but a blogger writing from her point of view. It's still a powerful message. If you go to the Anti-Jared facebook page, he explains it.

That is why I don't like that blog. He puts himself in the position of others, this time using images of a woman from West Virginia and the associated Woman's Health story ... it's fiction presented in a way that leads others to believe it is written by the person inolved.
    Dang it. So I have to admit that your were right on the other thread? Sigh. I hate that.

OK so you were right. There. I said it. :wink:

Although, it still does not change my opinion on the matter.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I'm not in favor of him putting pictures on his Facebook page, but I would really like to know how 2 nachos, 2 pretzels, and 3 sodas at a stadium can be 1,400 calories. Even if the sodas were diet (and thus 0 calories), I get more than 1,400 calories from 2 plates of nachos and 2 pretzels.

The point is why is she being judge for what she eats. So what it more than 1400 calories. It still does not change the fact that some fools have nothing better to do than watch someone eat.

Right. At 20 pounds overweight, I still usually refuse to eat in public (or I only eat tiny portions so everyone can see how much I leave on my plate) because of ish like this. All I think about is what everyone else is thinking about my consumption. And then just when I almost convince myself that's crazy talk, this comes along to remind me that it isn't, that people really are just sitting there hating and judging.

I thought I had so much time for nothing. I guess I don't have enough to remember a stranger's food intake because they are bigger than me.

Don't worry. I do not think the major really cares what a stranger eats in public.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Her answer is great. The first thing I thought when I saw that this had happened was, he doesn't know the struggles she's faced/facing, or what she's going through. She's lost a bunch of weight already, and is trying to get healthier! Maybe this game was a "splurge day" and so she had a hot dog and some nachos. Who the heck is this guy to judge? She can lose weight but it's more difficult to change your nasty personality.
    EDIT- darn, reading through, her response isn't real? Well, it COULD be, you just never know.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Something sort of like this happened a few years ago on a celebrity weight loss show. Ralphie May did his initial weigh in and was something like 400 pounds. He whooped about his weight and the judges sneered at him asking him if he was proud of that. He said, "Damn right I am, I used to weigh double that, I've lost half of my body weight now." Shut them up pretty quickly.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Is her response fake or just all of the responses to her response?
  • sofaking6
    Options

Don't worry about other people judging how much food you eat. I don't give a flying *kitten* about that when I'm in public. The only thing I care about when I'm out eating is the food I'm eating and how much of it I can get in my belly. And making sure my daughter isn't throwing food at other people.

Well *rationally* I know that's true... :)

I just wanted to add, if it's true that the responses are faked then this thread title is so awesomely perfect.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Don't worry about other people judging how much food you eat. I don't give a flying *kitten* about that when I'm in public. The only thing I care about when I'm out eating is the food I'm eating and how much of it I can get in my belly. And making sure my daughter isn't throwing food at other people.

Well *rationally* I know that's true... :)

I just wanted to add, if it's true that the responses are faked then this thread title is so awesomely perfect.

Ha! :laugh:
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    From Tony "The Anti-Jared" Posnaski

"So I write stories for the people on my page and most people know what I do. I love bringing awareness to obesity and making people think differently.

This morning I was presented with a story about a woman in St. Louis who was shamed on Facebook by a trainer. I saw it and the woman who sent it to me asked me to help. So I posted the story and got no responses.

I thought more and did something I have done before with the Fatty On The Westview Track and The Obese Man On A Jetstar Plane. I put myself in the story.

The woman in the picture never came out but her story was similar to a friend named Beverly who I have written about before. I put her in the story for the people on this page.

The story got big. So big that reporters were harassing Beverly which is not fair. So I called the news station to tell them that although Beverly's story is 100% true, she was not at the game.

I apologize to the new people on the page who might not know what I am about. I am a former 400 pound man who HATES Fat shaming and any judgment. I fight it every day for the people around me.

But the story was big and more and more the reporters called.

Beverly was not the woman in the picture. I put her there to make people realize that judging an overweight person is ridiculous. If I could do it again I would.

Because I will always fight people who shame others."
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I'm not in favor of him putting pictures on his Facebook

Ha! :laugh:

:D Yup.....that's what I get for typing on my phone and not proof reading. My 8th grade English teacher would be so mad at me right now!

Whelp....not sure what to think at this point about the response stuff. I don't think he should have inserted Beverly into a story like that. It would have been so awesome if that was the women who is in the pictures' response. I hope she has gotten some measure of comfort from all the news out there and all the people showing love.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    Wait. Wut???? This isn't a real response? Someone just pretended to be her and respond on her behalf? And the trainer is being accused of exaggerating about how much food she ate?

Meanwhile the response is completely fabricated. Trainer may be a douche, but the guy writing fake responses is far douchier.

+1

This is exactly what I was trying to say. It's especially true now that we know she / he made up the details that were included (which I pointed out they sounded inaccurate).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    However you feel about the response being from a third party, the trainer is a douche and needed to be called on it.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    However you feel about the response being from a third party, the trainer is a douche and needed to be called on it.

Absolutely.
    Although I am pretty annoyed at the responder who effectively took the focus off the real issue by what they did.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

EXACTLY! I was going to post about how much I admire the woman and he story and stuff but now I know it's fake I'll just say this....the "trainer" (I use that term VERY loosely) is a d!ck. Plain and simple. Trainers are there to encourage a healthy lifestyle, not to body shame. My trainer is amazing and does nothing but make me feel good. Even if there are things I can't do I don't get told I'm weak or anything. She says "Hey it's okay, just something we will work on!" THAT is what a real trainer does!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Taken from the Shark Fitness Facebook page posted an hour ago:

"I would like to take a moment to express my apologies to the individual in the photograph I posted and those it upset. One of the things I have learned quite painfully over the last couple of days is how sometimes something that is well intentioned can be executed poorly. I care deeply about the issue of obesity, and I have helped many people improve their health over the years. But it is right to say that I should not have posted an anonymous picture of a someone on social media in the manner I did.
    My intent was to communicate to my clients and followers that we all have choices and start a conversation about obesity which is causing a great deal of harm to our nation - from its burden on the health care system, its declaration as a national security risk, the health problems and early deaths of some great people and its impact on individual rights. I believe in fitness, it’s what I do and I hope to encourage others to continue to stay on track to be the best they can be. I’m sorry my method ruined that message. I have removed the offending post and would welcome the opportunity to speak one on one with the individual if she is willing.
    "

At least there was an apology. When you're wrong and recognize it, the best thing you can do is apologize in most cases.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Somehow, I don't think that's a sincere apology. [/sarcasm]