Skinny fat- calorie surplus?

Options

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Stef I think you have a jealousy problem. I'm sorry you have to work so hard to burn calories and I don't. Again, I worked at an eating disorder clinic and have a BS in biology where I took a nutrition course. I am well aware of how calories work and how to track them. I was simply asking if I should increase them due to being more active. I will be asking my doctor instead since he is the one who suggested the diet I am on. Good luck to you all on your weight loss journey!

Uhhhh I'm pretty sure Stef is one of the most educated people on this forum? What the hell would she be jealous of??

I’d be jealous if someone could somehow defy the laws of physics and lose weight eating 10,000 calories a day, like the OP claims. Majorly jelly. Jelly in my belly.

Oh well sure, but I doubt that's happening. If it is, I want to know the secret, because I had a salted peanut caramel blizzard for the first time yesterday and I wanna eat like ten of those things at once.

Right?? Further inquiry is a must. No, but seriously. I was being tongue-in-cheek because it’s so frustrating to see everyone here make genuine attempts to assist a poster only to have it thrown in our faces. Lately it seems that everyone either can’t eat more than 500 calories a day to save their life and still don’t lose weight or they eat 5000 and can’t gain weight. :dizzy: And anyone questioning their calorie calculations is being mean. :disappointed:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Stef I think you have a jealousy problem. I'm sorry you have to work so hard to burn calories and I don't. Again, I worked at an eating disorder clinic and have a BS in biology where I took a nutrition course. I am well aware of how calories work and how to track them. I was simply asking if I should increase them due to being more active. I will be asking my doctor instead since he is the one who suggested the diet I am on. Good luck to you all on your weight loss journey!

Ah, a special snowflake.

Of course.

Indeed.

Let's look at the TDEE calculator.

5'6 127 pounds age 26
    Choosing 7-21 hours per week of strenuous activity (to account for the amazingly unusual fast metabolism)
    Goal: gain muscle, lose fat

BMR 1388
    TDEE 2637

Truly eating 3,000-4,000 calories a day should result in nearly 1-2 pound per week gain. Either OP is outside the bounds of nature, or is not tracking correctly.

So easy to find out, simply by using a food scale.

• KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A BS in biology is not a BS in nutrition, btw. Your BS is as useful as a chocolate teapot when it comes to human nutrition.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Either OP is outside the bounds of nature, or is not tracking correctly.

Hmmmm....this is a tough one...complicated by the fact that she admits she doesn't track calories....

thinking-cat2.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Ah, a special snowflake.

Of course.

Indeed.

5'6 127 pounds age 26
    Choosing 7-21 hours per week of strenuous activity (to account for the amazingly unusual fast metabolism)

BMR 1388
    TDEE 2637

Truly eating 3,000-4,000 calories a day should result in nearly 1-2 pound per week gain. Either OP is outside the bounds of nature, or is not tracking correctly.

my vote is inaccurate tracking due to lack of use of food scale.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Ah, a special snowflake.

Of course.

Indeed.

5'6 127 pounds age 26

BMR 1388
    TDEE 2637

my vote is inaccurate tracking due to lack of use of food scale.

or just lack of tracking period.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Either OP is outside the bounds of nature, or is not tracking correctly.

Hmmmm....this is a tough one...complicated by the fact that she admits she doesn't track calories....

thinking-cat2.jpg

cat-reactions-30.jpg
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what she could possibly be eating to get 2700 non-protein calories a day!!! The only way I can make it work is 18 servings of Lay's potato chips (the least protein efficient food I could quickly come up with), and a protein shake
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I don't appreciate being made fun of and attacked. Also, why are you trying to make me feel stupid and assuming I am lying or not counting correctly. I came here for helpful, general advice and instead I am being laughed at and given joking responses. Who are you to assume I'm not counting correctly and/or lying? I was put on a high calorie/high salt diet by my cardiologist and was wondering if it should be increased now that I'm working out. I will just ask him because it seems this post is full of jealousy and rude people.

YES, eat more. Or could it be water weight loss.
    Nobody was being rude, just giving their suggestions. Most responding have heard a million times, "i don't eat a lot" yet they are eating way more than they thought. Being new you don't know this.

I have a son who was trying to put on weight, eating constantly, he had a weight room routine. If I remember right he was trying to eat around 5000 cal. He couldn't do it. He loves his fruits and veggies, which filled him up. After 6 months he put on 5pds.. but then he started 2 a day football practices and lost it all plus.
    "He eats a lot but doesn't put on weight" we heard this alot.. It was the foods he ate. Veggies, fruits. Added Many eggs in butter, toast, protein shakes, hamburgers, steaks, etc... plus very hard workout days.
    It still comes down to cico. Eat more if you are concerned.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I just want to know what she could possibly be eating to get 2700 non-protein calories a day!!! The only way I can make it work is 18 servings of Lay's potato chips (the least protein efficient food I could quickly come up with), and a protein shake

More like 3300 non-protein calories.

I suppose there is this:

peter_oliveoil_xl.PNG
  • sbtnicky
    sbtnicky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If your doctor actually said you have a fast metabolism without first having you accurately (with a scale) log your food and daily activities you need a new doctor. I say this as someone who was diagnosed with a metabolic disorder as a child and has only in the last year been able to go down to a normal caloric intake. You cannot know if your metabolism is actually faster than average if you don't have the necessary data to make a comparison.

More importantly, if you are a on a high calorie diet it is necessary to measure your food the same way you would if you were attempting to lose weight so that you know whether or not the diet is working. Once again, you need data to analyse. You are lacking in all data. What little information you do provide makes no sense. At roughly 2500 calories when I was 15 I was expected to have around 190g of protein a day. You're saying you have less than half that with an additional 500-1500 calories. Something is very wrong in your estimates. No amount of dietary advice from a doctor is going to help that. You have to log properly.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't appreciate being made fun of and attacked. Also, why are you trying to make me feel stupid and assuming I am lying or not counting correctly. I came here for helpful, general advice and instead I am being laughed at and given joking responses. Who are you to assume I'm not counting correctly and/or lying? I was put on a high calorie/high salt diet by my cardiologist and was wondering if it should be increased now that I'm working out. I will just ask him because it seems this post is full of jealousy and rude people.

I have never heard of a cardiologist putting anyone on a high salt diet since high amounts of sodium are bad for the heart (and the rest of your body).

Also a cardiologist only knows about your heart . . . why would he/she be putting you on any kind of a diet? I would think you'd want to consult a nutritionist or dietician or someone who specializes in this. If you want a bypass or had a heart attack previously, sure see a cardiologist . . . but for nutrition? It's just not their speciality.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

So unless you were eating like zero sodium before, I have never heard of a cardiologist putting anyone on a high salt diet since high amounts of sodium are bad for the heart (and the rest of your body).

Also a cardiologist only knows about your heart . . . why would he/she be putting you on any kind of a diet? I would think you'd want to consult a nutritionist or dietician or someone who specializes in this. If you want a bypass or had a heart attack previously, sure see a cardiologist . . . but for nutrition? It's just not their speciality.

*Cancels my podiatrist appointment for heartburn checkup*
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

So unless you were eating like zero sodium before, I have never heard of a cardiologist putting anyone on a high salt diet since high amounts of sodium are bad for the heart (and the rest of your body).

Isn't Dr Oz a cardiologist......
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I did have a feeling this would turn into another "No, I don't want the truth and I only want to answer the irrelevant questions of my choosing. Also, only tell me what I want to hear or you're being rude, goodbye."-thread.
    And look! :smiley:
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    a) why the term skinny fat if you worked at an eating disorder clinic?
    b) if you have a doctor prescribed diet, then you should ask your doctor not internet randos who cannot know anything about your medical needs
    c) if you aren't weighing your food, you don't have an accurate count. That is true for all of us, no matter our background. Perhaps you don't need an accurate count, depending on your habits and goals, and that doesn't have to be important to you, but it is simply a reality.
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I have never heard of a cardiologist putting anyone on a high salt diet since high amounts of sodium are bad for the heart (and the rest of your body).

It's OK. She has a BS in biology, and we all know a degree is skills-transferable.

That's why I started building houses immediately after earning my degree in psychology.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Ah, a special snowflake.

Of course.

Indeed.

5'6 127 pounds age 26

BMR 1388
    TDEE 2637

OP, if you're still checking in, I highly recommend you take a good long look at what deksgrl posted - and I quoted. What you're saying really doesn't make sense. That's not poking fun at you or anything. That's the cold hard truth. And the only way to truly know what you're intake is to accurately weigh and measure EVERYTHING.

Also, you'd probably do well to check out BBC's "Secret Eaters" series. In it - or at least one of them - they had a comparison of a larger woman that thought she didn't eat much, and a thinner woman, who thought she ate a lot. The idea was to see if the thinner woman truly had a faster metabolism. I'll skip to the end - the larger woman actually had the faster metabolism. It was just that the larger woman actually ate a lot more than the thinner woman. Unfortunately, I don't remember their activity levels. My guess? You're not eating nearly as much as you think. As has been mentioned - 70-80 grams of protein really isn't all that much. So it's doubtful that your Calorie intake is above 3000 Calories. My guess? You're probably under 2000. But you can't be sure unless you actually weigh, measure, and log everything correctly.
  • tvm_butler
    tvm_butler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am eating 70-80 grams of protein per day mainly from chicken and protein shakes.

Not nearly enough protein for what you are doing ... seriously. The average person/woman should be eating 70-80 grams of protein per day. As someone lifting heavy weights, you should eat much more or you will continue to rapidly lose weight.