Get ready for the McDonald's McKale salad!!

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
McDonald's is apparently looking to add kale to it's menu.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-Business/219201/mcdonalds-new-ingredient-would-you-like-some-mckale-with-that

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Well they're testing it in SoCal, so it may work out. Wait, that just says the breakfast bowls, I want my McKale salad!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You have to go to Canada for the salad.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    burmp
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    27a.gif

I didn't like kale salad when one of the best cooks I know made it. I'm pretty sure I don't want to even try McDonald's version. Honestly, why don't they just do what they do better? Make better burgers and fries and improve customer service to the point that I don't want to scream every time I go there.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/mcdonald-s-bringing-3-kale-salads-to-canada-1.2363108

I had to google...wow...hmmm

First and last time I had kale it was in a smoothie that got dumped down the sink...it smelled like I imagine dirty potato peelings would taste....ick

However I do enjoy a good salad from there or DQ...the grilled chicken salad at dq is about 360 calories and a tonne of protein.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Kale has jumped the shark. Hipsters everywhere are frantically scraping the "Eat more Kale" stickers off of their Priuses or velocipedes or banjo cases.

Anyone want to call what's next?
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Well... I have zero room to poke fun. We served kale at our wedding. In our defense, the reception was held at a farm to table style restaurant and we had no idea what was being served until we arrived.

But really? The salad was amazing.

1wdzawpteeeo.jpg

Still wouldn't eat kale at McDonald's though.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oh, Kale. I will never love you like I love spinach. Honestly, I just don't like the taste of kale all that much, particularly raw kale. It's a bit too bitter and earthy for me. I mean, I won't immediately spit it out if it's in a dish, but I'm not going to order a big bowl of kale for dinner.

I tried kale smoothies a while ago when I was trying to use up the bales and bales of kale we were getting from our CSA. I figured that if I had enough other yummy things mixed in with the smoothie, I probably wouldn't notice the kale. I was wrong. The kale remained. Smoothies were finished, but that was the end of my kale smoothie experimentation. I don't mind kale in soups, as it tastes basically like any other soup green. I even like it coated with olive oil and a bit of salt and roasted in the oven. Good for what it is, but don't try to sell me on kale chips. Kale is not a substitute for standard potato chips, no matter what health conscious people have to say.

I'm with the previous posters. I do not go to McDonald's for a healthy meal. I'm glad they have some more nutritious options, but I can't imagine what fast food kale is going to taste like.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'm already over it
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I had the best kale salad at a vegan food truck - it had beets, sunflower seeds, and some kind of lemon vinaigrette. Slammin'
    If you use kale, the texture and taste is better when you massage the leaves with olive oil and let it sit for a while. I use baby kale, which is milder.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I like kale, don't love it. It's just another salad ingredient. I do like kale chips, when done right.
    I would probably try a Mckale salad.

Peachyplum - your wedding salad looks delicious. What kind of cheese is that on top?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    and now I'm sad.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Kale is awesome, but I wouldn't want a McKale salad.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    My neighbor got a juicer to help her get more veggies in during chemo. I was there one day, and there was a horrible smell like the motor in the juicer was burning out. She told me it was just the kale. That smell is the instant association I have with it now, in any form, and I can't get past it.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Kind of exciting....although I haven't seen them or any advertising in Canada yet. But I'll probably try them, I do like a kale salad!
  • alves_patricia
    alves_patricia Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I work at McDonald's (Canada) and the new salads started yesterday. It's not only kale lol ! The base is a mix between romaine lettuce, a spring mix and kale ! The mix-ins are pretty good IMO. The only downsides are the dressings (like usual) that aren't worth the cals IMO so I would just sub them with something low cal from a random grocery store or a pack of hot mustard.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    McDonald's is apparently looking to add kale to it's menu.

Would you like fries with your McKale? Super size them?

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think it's great for those who live on convenience foods to have affordable options but the only thing I'd ever order from a McDonalds is a hamburger and french fries.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Stop it. McDonald's can't even do a decent burger.

They have lost their way to brand identity. Which is why we go to In and Out Burger or Five Guys. Now, Kale? Forget it.