Get ready for the McDonald's McKale salad!!

Options

Replies

• MissBoo2015
    MissBoo2015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    a fast food place to get nutritious food? no thanks mackys
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    The terrorists have truly won.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Kale is probably a good veg for fast food...that stuff keeps forever and is very forgiving of fluctuating fridge temps. Not like fine field greens or looseleaf lettuce that freezes and wilts if you look at it funny.

Still not ordering it at McDs. I am firmly on record as a hashbrown-only girl when visiting the Golden Arches.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    just because its a fad/trendy doesnt make it terrible. if you like it, eat it, if not, dont. good grief. much out of nothing?
  • jhamptonsleboda
    jhamptonsleboda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Well... I have zero room to poke fun. We served kale at our wedding. In our defense, the reception was held at a farm to table style restaurant and we had no idea what was being served until we arrived.

But really? The salad was amazing.

1wdzawpteeeo.jpg

Still wouldn't eat kale at McDonald's though.

This looks divine!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Well... I have zero room to poke fun. We served kale at our wedding. In our defense, the reception was held at a farm to table style restaurant and we had no idea what was being served until we arrived.

But really? The salad was amazing.

1wdzawpteeeo.jpg

Still wouldn't eat kale at McDonald's though.

The presentation looks lovely. I think Kale needs massaging and a nice light dressing (homemade) to really be appreciated. To eat it plain without massaging it makes it taste hard and strange. When adding it for a salad just a bit of oil and vinegar and just as the word means run your hands across it and it gets less tough.

I took a couple Coop classes at my local Health Food store and it was fabulous, I didn't think I liked it either until is was done this way. But only when you find the right person to fix it up and learn how yourself. But some might never like it.... there's always some other dark green out there to use. :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    just because its a fad/trendy doesnt make it terrible. if you like it, eat it, if not, dont. good grief. much out of nothing?

@besaro lol I have noticed quite a lot of Kale hate around here ...I agree with you. Eat it. Don't Eat it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I had the best kale salad at a vegan food truck - it had beets, sunflower seeds, and some kind of lemon vinaigrette. Slammin'
    If you use kale, the texture and taste is better when you massage the leaves with olive oil and let it sit for a while. I use baby kale, which is milder.

oops, I missed your post before I wrote mine up. I agree :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Kale has jumped the shark. Hipsters everywhere are frantically scraping the "Eat more Kale" stickers off of their Priuses or velocipedes or banjo cases.

Anyone want to call what's next?

Kohlrabi.

I shudder to think of kale at McDonald's. They would NOT bother getting the stem out.

I feel ashamed for actually liking the stuff now, but I WAS A KALE HIPSTER.

• HeySwoleSister
    Options
    Kale has jumped the shark. Hipsters everywhere are frantically scraping the "Eat more Kale" stickers off of their Priuses or velocipedes or banjo cases.

Kohlrabi.

I shudder to think of kale at McDonald's. They would NOT bother getting the stem out.

My Northern CSA-share-having self is well acquainted with kohlrabi. I could do with more recipes, TBH.

Cauliflower and sweet potatoes have their share of fad adherents, but they don't have their own bumper sticker. You don't get to be declared the Official Hipster Vegetable until it's available on a bumper sticker. Or, alternatively, an ironically ugly retro iron-on patch.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Kohlrabi.

My Northern CSA-share-having self is well acquainted with kohlrabi. I could do with more recipes, TBH.

Cauliflower and sweet potatoes have their share of fad adherents, but they don't have their own bumper sticker. You don't get to be declared the Official Hipster Vegetable until it's available on a bumper sticker. Or, alternatively, an ironically ugly retro iron-on patch.

Celariac will be the new cauliflower. You heard it here first.

• sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think that the tender versions (baby kales, tuscan kale) are better to eat raw for salads and smoothies than full grown regular kale. That said, I really like kale. Braised kale with garlic and tomatoes is pretty tasty.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Kohlrabi.

My Northern CSA-share-having self is well acquainted with kohlrabi. I could do with more

Sliced, breaded, and fried in olive oil or butter.

NOM NOM NOM
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options

Kohlrabi.

Celariac will be the new cauliflower. You heard it here first.

I love celariac! Also, cutting celery. That's an herb that tastes like celery but looks like parsley. I have kids who say that they hate celery, but it's the texture that puts them off...so i use celeriac and cutting celery instead!)

Still trying to think of a veg that is suitably homely and obscure enough to be the next Hipster Chosen Veg. Turnips, perhaps? Rutabegas? Beets? Oh, God. It's going to be beets. Brooklyn and Portland will be overrun by people wearing bowler hats and horrible trousers and BRIGHT RED TEETH...it will be like some kind of weird vegan vampire steampunk novel....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I'd just really rather not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    They'll probably also use it as a garnish on their ice cream cones.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sthoms2
    sthoms2 Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Salads are pretty much the only thing I get from McDonald's. Oh...and the fries! I would try the kale salad. I don't really like the burgers from there. I maybe eat McDonald's 2 times a year. My kids don't really like it either.
  • southeRNurse2016
    southeRNurse2016 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Only way to eat kale is kale chips. Love those.
  • annl321
    annl321 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love kale salad with poppy seed dressing, some manderin oranges and crazins. I also like it in soup.
    I have a funny story about kale chips. I was taking a train to my daughter's house 8 hours away. Needed to pack lunch and dinner. I had some kale I needed to use so I decided to make kale chips. I put them in a ziplock bag. My non cold food was packed in a plastic grocery bag for the trip. Every time I opened that bag the worst smell came out. I didn't dare open the kale chips to eat them for fear that the other passengers would think I had really bad gas.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I die of happiness if they just offered a veggie burger!