Motivation to do cardio

Any advice on how to enjoy cardio. I have never liked it and I have a hard problem breathing.

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    As far as motivation goes, my only bit of advice is to try and find something you enjoy, and can do regularly.
    For me, it's cycling. I also love kayaking but it's just not practical to do it frequently so I hit the bike as often as I can. Useful transport too, so it fits in well with everyday life.
    Good luck!
  • Bennysammysofie39
    Bennysammysofie39 Posts: 199 Member
    I run on a track...and it's boring!!!
    Maybe run in a neighborhood and just go at your own pace
    Trouble breathing might be the same as me until u catch your second wind
    Hope u find your way!!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Tbh it ccomes in many varieties not just the gym so do some movement that you can enjoy. Swimming, dancing, walking, sport.
    You dont have to do any if you dont want to, but there are health benefits. To lose weight directly from cardio if thats your aim, then you have to do an awful lot.

If its the gym, then assuming you are also doing some resistance training.

1. Try a class
    2. Use music.
    3. Keep your performance records and to improve either duration pace or both. Thats hwo you cna chart your progress. Its hard at the beginning, but it can be rewarding when you see your times and generla fitness levels improve.
    4. If you have trouble breathing then pace yourself start with reasonable fast walking and as your fitness comes it will get easier. It cna be a great stress reliever. Attack it and make a reasonable effort rather than being worried about it.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
    CM_73 wrote: »
    As far as motivation goes, my only bit of advice is to try and find something you enjoy, and can do regularly.
    For me, it's cycling. I also love kayaking but it's just not practical to do it frequently so I hit the bike as often as I can. Useful transport too, so it fits in well with everyday life.
    Good luck!

Great advice. And if you can't find something you enjoy, the good news is you don't have to do cardio for very long in order to reap heart healthy benefits. I don't enjoy flossing and brushing my teeth either, but I do them regularly because my health is important to me.

Morgues and ICUs are full of people who didn't exercise their hearts. I don't plan on being one of them.

• Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Cardio sucks......but for me is a necessary evil. I need music and find that does help, that and not looking at the clock lol. What about trying some water activities? They can be great fun and a good workout. Good luck in your quest.
  • paulinavdl
    paulinavdl Posts: 4 Member
    CM_73 wrote: »
    Good luck!

I will definitely give cycling a try.
  • paulinavdl
    Marcia661 wrote: »
    Cardio sucks......but for me is a necessary evil. I need music and find that does help, that and not looking at the clock lol. What about trying some water activities? They can be great fun and a good workout. Good luck in your quest.

yes it does sucks, I prefer doing weight lifting.
  • paulinavdl
    I run on a track...and it's boring!!!
    Maybe run in a neighborhood and just go at your own pace
    Trouble breathing might be the same as me until u catch your second wind
    Hope u find your way!!!

That's what I been doing so far, I take my boxer with me he keeps me on a faster speed. :smiley:
  • IncredibleMulk77
    IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
    I have to find a way to totally disengage from cardio at the gym...I watch Netflix while I do it...I've found that I can kill an hour on an elliptical, work up a really good sweat and hardly notice. I really look forward to watching the next episode of whatever I'm watching and won't let myself watch it unless I'm on a machine.
  • THINJESSIE
    THINJESSIE Posts: 23 Member
    @paulinavdl

I used to run track in high school. I ran distance, such as the mile the 2 mile and the 800. I hate running but I hate off season more. The trick to running is to breath correctly. The way that has always worked for me is that I breath in through my nose for 4 pulses and breath out throgh my mouth for 4 pulses. Then I take a quick breath in and out through my mouth. Then I go back to 4 pulses in through my nose and 4 pulses out through my mouth. This is what always worked for me. The quick in and out breath is actually a cheat and they say that people should just do the controlled pulse breathing.

Also, when I am running, especially a long distance run, I focus on taking long strides or large steps. Really focus on stretching your legs with each step so that you are covering more ground than you would with baby steps. You will find that you are actually faster.

Posture is also pretty important. Try keeping your back straight and your shoulders back or in other words stick your chest out. Also keep your head up as though your looking up at your partney for a kiss. This helps to open up your lungs so that you are better able to breath while running.

While you are doing all of the other things that I just listed be sure to keep your arms moving as well. Your hands should not be clenched into fists. I keep my finger bent but loose. I read once that a good way to make sure to do this is to hold a package of 2 crackers in each hand (the kind that you find at a restaurant) and try not to break them. I never actually did this but just imagining the crackers in my hands worked for me. You want to be relaxed when running or your entire body will just feel more tired and you'll end up being more sore later.

There is a thing called the "second wind." When you are getting really tired and feel like you can't go on push through that and your second wind will come. You will suddenly have an energy burst and be able to run further and faster and your breathing, if you've really been controlling it will get much easier.

Once I am about to reach the end of my run, I always try to sprint the last block or so. It won't be a good sprint as you will be tired but by sprinting that last little part of your run you will feel more accomplished.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your future running! You can totally do this. Also, remember that the more you do it the easier it will be and eventually you will start to crave your runs!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    if you dont like it, find something you like doing. you wont stick to something you hate.

try weights, try different classes, try walking, whatever...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    paulinavdl wrote: »
    Any advice on how to enjoy cardio. I have never liked it and I have a hard problem breathing.

Do cardio so you can eat more
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    HIIT - you can incorporate cardio into your weight training by doing circuits - or HIIT by doing specific HIIT-based exercises with rest in between. Burpees are the classic example of this. I would find a way to intensify your weight training to include a cardio component. Get a HRM chest strap with watch - and you can regulate your HR while you are doing weight training. I've done it with excellent success. Breaks up the weight routine as well. Doing a compound exercise and an ab circuit - that will increase your HR substantially.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    It just occurred to me that perhaps ALL cardio is similar to learning to run. If you're having trouble with stamina because of your breathing, you're probably going too intense. Slow down to a pace you can keep up with and work on your form. Once you can do your cardio of choice for a full 30 minutes, continually, THEN work on speed - and don't lose your form.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    HIIT - you can incorporate cardio into your weight training by doing circuits - or HIIT by doing specific HIIT-based exercises with rest in between. Burpees are the classic example of this. I would find a way to intensify your weight training to include a cardio component. Get a HRM chest strap with watch - and you can regulate your HR while you are doing weight training. I've done it with excellent success. Breaks up the weight routine as well. Doing a compound exercise and an ab circuit - that will increase your HR substantially.

This! Great advice! I do this and I feel like it's the best of both worlds...keeps things interesting!
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Best thing to so is find something you enjoy for me it's boxing & circuit training I find I look forward to working out rather than finding it a chore
    Good Luck