Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You are likely underestimating your intake...

1. stay consistent.
    2. make sure the calories are correct in MFP
    3. weigh and measure your food

4. make adjustments only if you are sure everything else is dialed in. Try a 10% cut from your current intake to move your weigh tloss in the right direction.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I will be on tomorrow to finish answering posts. Thanks for the question!
  • Febes24
    Febes24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi tony,
    I'm not sure if you can help me but i need help.
    I have PCOS which causes majority of my weight gain to be in my stomach.
    i was wondering if you knew what foods to avoid and what foods to take in.
    I lost 50 pounds last summer and im hoping to lose another 50 by next summer. Can you please help me
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

I'm glad to offer and feedback or help for your nutrition or fitness questions.

Hiya Tony. I was curious what your thoughts were on intermittent fasting as well. Particularly in an Eat Stop Eat pattern, 3 days a week...or alternatively in a leangains type pattern, of 16hrs fasted, and 8hrs fed.

Thanks!

According to my research on the topic, it think its micromanaging. A simple calorie deficit will do the job. However, if it is your preference and helps you with long term dietary compliance, go for it!

Many people like IF because to eat all day long provides numerous opportunities to make poor choices. It's "macro-managing" in the sense that they eat all their calories within a set time frame or don't eat at all for 24 hours. Much simpler than a typical diet.
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, thanks for posting here! I've been on a plateau for about 4 months - gaining and losing the same couple pounds. I'm getting really frustrated and not sure how to push myself back into loss (I still have about 20 lbs to go before I am in a "normal" BMI range) Any tips?
    I'm a high-protein vegetarian & eat about 1400 cals a day (spread out into about 5 little meal/snacks through the day), getting exercise in about 2-3 times a week.
  • nyla23608
    nyla23608 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    What are your thoughts about IF (16/8).

I have spoken with another dietitian about the pro/cons, and it sound too good to be true. I normally have to force myself to eat in the morning, and keeping an eye on the clock to make sure I eat every few hours is becoming quite tiresome.

Thank you.

EDIT~I am eating 1520 (per BodPod) , eating part of exercise calories and working out (run/walk 5x, hot power yoga 3x per week)
  • ADH13
    ADH13 Posts: 10
    Options
    Bump
  • mama78loosinWeight
    mama78loosinWeight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bump :wink:
  • DraoMhaigh
    DraoMhaigh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

I'm glad to offer and feedback or help for your nutrition or fitness questions.

Well Torry I was wondering if you could tell me some simple workouts that I can do at home with no professional equipment that will help me lose fat from my thighs and calfs. I'm kinda desperate. Because I seem to be losing fat from my stomach quite well but I don't see much diference in my leg area.

And this applies to anyone else who could help me, I would so much appreciate it.

No exercise will remove fat from a specific area of your body, nor food.
    Your body will lose weight where it likes, it's all in our genetic disposition.
    In fact, the MORE you work out a specific area to lose fat there, the bigger it'll get since your using that muscle so much it'll grow!
    Save yourself the strain of that now and learn to love the body you have, even if it means yours legs will always be a little bigger than the girl with the skinny calves! =]
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts about IF (16/8).

I have spoken with another dietitian about the pro/cons, and it sound too good to be true. I normally have to force myself to eat in the morning, and keeping an eye on the clock to make sure I eat every few hours is becoming quite tiresome.

Thank you.

He said it was fine, although there's no special magic to it.
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    Hi Tony! First let me say thanks for sharing your expertise. Also, I would like to ask you what your take is on "Starvation Mode" and "Eat more to weigh less". I'm currently on the 1200 calories a day. I do not eat back my exercise calories and honestly on some days, unless we eat out, I have a hard time reaching the 1200 goal. I actively joined MFP on July 17th and I have lost 11 pounds so I believe it's working for me. Before I started MFP I would skip breakfast and lunch then eat ANYTHING for dinner, not really caring about the calorie or fat. Needless to say that did not work for me. I'm trying to do things right now by distributing my calories through out the day. I just see so much about starvation mode and eating more than 1200 cal. a day, that it really confuses me. What's your take?
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am always over on my protein. Is this okay
    and can it have negative effects on the body?
  • AidaBa
    AidaBa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony...
    Thanks for answering all the questions and I hope you can answer mine as well.
    I have been on a low cal diet for about 6 months now and I have been very successful.
    I have lost 30 lbs since starting my diet but now i have hit a wall. No matter what I do
    I can not lose any more. I would like to lose at least 30 more lbs.
    I have been on 800 calorie diet for a while now and I am used to it. But it's frustrating
    for me now. It seems no matter how much I am dieting I can't lose any more.
    I am on my feet all day, since I am in nursing. I don't exercise much.
    I walk as much as i can and drink a lot of water during the day.
    Could you please tell me what am I doing wrong and how can i kick up my diet.
    Thanks
  • karenechurch
    Options
    just wondering, is Sweet N Low ok to use?
  • bjdavid53
    bjdavid53 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • singtonations
    Options
    Hey Tony, My question is what are a combination of foods that can burn calories and reduce belly fat?
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony! Do you take any supplements to make your hair grow so thick and lush?

Thanks!

Contrarian