Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• karenechurch
    Options
    great question, wondering this myself about not eating enough calories, is 1000 okay
  • LisaGore1
    Options
    Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

I'm glad to offer and feedback or help for your nutrition or fitness questions.
    Hey Tony I'm wonder do I eat back my burned calories to lose weight I have not been and am doing fine losing but I keep hearing I should be......If I do then do I set MFP up to be eating at my BMR??? what I do now is have it set at my BMR and eat at around that and what I burn I don't eat. Thanks and your more than welcome to check out my food diarybto give me suggestions thanks again
  • yiragraphix
    Options
    Hi, my name is Yirandy and the reason why I joined its, cause I wanna gaine 15 to 20 pounds. Im 31 years old current weight it 115 height 5'5. Any suggestions?
  • Just_One_Me
    Just_One_Me Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So how many calories do u have your clients eat on a workout day and non workout day ?? =))
    I just read this post written by Banks, who was affiliated with MFP (maybe he still is?) on eating your fitness/exercise calories.
    As an example, I ran for 2 hours today. MFP told me I had 2370 calories today. I was hesitant to eat that many. But evidently, I may not be getting the results by not eating all my excercise calories.
    Just seeking a second opinion.
    Thanks.
    Brenda

I find that the calorie recommendations for exercise on here or often overestimated. I would just try to be consistent with your calories. I don't have any of my clients track exercise on this program for that reason.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just who I have been looking for!!!! lol. Welcome to MFP.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for the offer. I know you've received several questions so far, but i'm hoping mine wont get missed :happy:

i'm 40, 5'5 and currently 192 pounds (started off at 224). Since January I've followed a moderate calorie deficit (30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat) and the main focus of my exercise program has been strength training (nrol4w and strong lifts) and i also do sprint HIIT 1-2 times a week as well as some easy cardio for 30-45 minutes where I keep my heart rate in the 130-150 range. i also take 1 or 2 days of complete rest. i've lost 30 pounds and 3 pant size but still have about 40 pounds to go until i reach my body fat percentage goal.

i currently have been eating 1750-2000 calories a day (not eating back exercise calories) and i had been progressing quite nicely on my weights but recently i've not only found myself stalling on weights, but on many (especially deadlifts, overhead press and bb rows) i've even had to decrease the weights.

so my question is this, will taking a complete week to deload on the weights and eat at maintenance (2500 calories) help get me back to where i can move past the stalls? my plan is to try that for a week and then the next week get back to eating at a deficit and losing weight.

thanks in advance!
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Is it easier to lose viseral FAT or subcutaneous FAT ?
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    ok- what in the heck does Bump mean?
    Not sure how it works (I am technologically challenged...) but you can "bump" a topic to save it for later & reply at a later time...I think...
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    bump
  • DraoMhaigh
    DraoMhaigh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony...
    Thanks for answering all the questions and I hope you can answer mine as well.
    I have been on a low cal diet for about 6 months now and I have been very successful.
    I have lost 30 lbs since starting my diet but now i have hit a wall. No matter what I do
    I can not lose any more. I would like to lose at least 30 more lbs.
    I have been on 800 calorie diet for a while now and I am used to it. But it's frustrating
    for me now. It seems no matter how much I am dieting I can't lose any more.
    I am on my feet all day, since I am in nursing. I don't exercise much.
    I walk as much as i can and drink a lot of water during the day.
    Could you please tell me what am I doing wrong and how can i kick up my diet.
    Thanks

You're eating too few calories for having an active job.
    Please try one thing, only change what you eat up to 1300 a day for 1 months, see what happens.
    Good luck
  • Kelwalks4
    Kelwalks4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

What are you suggestions for adding protein while paying attention to sodium intake? I know protein powders and shakes but I"M having trouble finding one I like.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Much appreciate the offer to help some of us wandering through improving our health!

I like Chobani Greek Yogurt with fresh fruit added.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tony and thanks for the offer of help!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • DraoMhaigh
    DraoMhaigh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ok- what in the heck does Bump mean?
    Not sure how it works (I am technologically challenged...) but you can "bump" a topic to save it for later & reply at a later time...I think...

Originally used to "bump" up a topic so it's more popular since more people are positing in it even if all they write is "bump" but for MFP it also saves the topic on your home page
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony...
    Thanks for answering all the questions and I hope you can answer mine as well.
    I have been on a low cal diet for about 6 months now and I have been very successful.
    I have lost 30 lbs since starting my diet but now i have hit a wall. No matter what I do
    I can not lose any more. I would like to lose at least 30 more lbs.
    I have been on 800 calorie diet for a while now and I am used to it. But it's frustrating
    for me now. It seems no matter how much I am dieting I can't lose any more.
    I am on my feet all day, since I am in nursing. I don't exercise much.
    I walk as much as i can and drink a lot of water during the day.
    Could you please tell me what am I doing wrong and how can i kick up my diet.
    Thanks
    i have never gone that low in my cals, but try a load day of higher cals, maybe up to 1200, just for one day, then back to your 'normal' 800cals, dont weight yourself for a week and see if it kickstarts your weightloss again....
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Yirandy and the reason why I joined its, cause I wanna gaine 15 to 20 pounds. Im 31 years old current weight it 115 height 5'5. Any suggestions?
    maybe try strength training and build a little muscle - not talking a six pack and massive biceps, but a little definition can work wonders

all depends if your goal is size or weight
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    Hi Tony -

I'm trying to add more protein into my diet but I despise beans except for Black beans and I need to watch sodium due to a congenital heart defect. So, beef jerky and cheese are often out unless I can find a lower sodium option.

What are you suggestions for adding protein while paying attention to sodium intake? I know protein powders and shakes but I"M having trouble finding one I like.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Much appreciate the offer to help some of us wandering through improving our health!

Cindy

I am not sure what flavors you like, but I use a protein powder called Syntha-6 by BSN (check out Cheap Vitamins website...much cheaper there than GNC or Vitamin Shoppe). I use the Chocolate milk shake w/ skim milk & banana & it is yummy! I also use the Vanilla Ice Cream (smells like cake batter...yum) with V8 fusion (to get an extra serving of fruits & veggies) with frozen berries & a banana & that is very refreshing after a workout. They have 29 grams of protein & stick with you if you have a shake for breakfast. They have a lot more flavors too...best protein shake I have ever tasted!!!
  • joannecando
    Options
    Hi tony,
    I'm not sure if you can help me but i need help.
    I have PCOS which causes majority of my weight gain to be in my stomach.
    i was wondering if you knew what foods to avoid and what foods to take in.
    I lost 50 pounds last summer and im hoping to lose another 50 by next summer. Can you please help me

I'm not Tony, but I thought I might throw in my $0.02. I also have (or had - complete hysterectomy) PCOS, and all my weight is in my abdomen. Losing 50 lbs in a summer is amazing, and you should be proud of your accomplishment. Most of the doctors I have seen in relation to the endocrine problems associated with PCOS, such as insulin resistance or diabetes, suggest that a low-carb, high protein diet is the best way to lose and then maintain your weight. I know that when I was strict about carbs on an Adkins type diet, weight came off very quickly. Good luck to you!
  • BlessedHeart
    BlessedHeart Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    *Bump* :smile: