Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dmisty24
    dmisty24 Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't know what Tony's opinion....but I went on a vegetarian diet and lost 15 lbs in the first month...but I was very overweight, so I am sure that is a little unusual.

Misty
  • shellymoore0919
    Options
    Bump
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    whats your take on carb intake? how much should they be limited too? and how much protein is needed on a low carb diet? I am aiming to lose 10-15 lbs i seem to have stalled despite eating clean for the most part
  • 780ck
    780ck Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tony ~ BUMP
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    i've been a client of tony's for a year and a 1/2 now -- i forget how spoiled i am to have him answer all of these questions in person! y'all should check out his website from his profile. if you saw my before picture, you'd be high-fiving him right now, that's for sure. he skypes with some of his clients, too.

I just read several success stories on the website including yours ..I really wanted to know who was offering the advice . I was pleasantly surprised by the content on his website and his educational credentials . I recommend visiting.
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    It's nice to see a registered dietitian on here.

How about we ask more appropriate questions.

What are your views on insulin sensitivity, and reduction of carbohydrate in the diet?
    Keto? Paleo? Slow carb?

What are your views on intermittent fasting and it's many health benefits?

How do you feel about the studies that recommend low carb to help control hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that are key to control appetite?

I've been studying to becomes a dietitian so I can practice dietetics, and I can tell you that what is healthy, and what dietitians are told are two very different things.

I have similar questions about love carb especially gluten free.. I'm pretty sure I'm gluten sensitive and it's causing overall inflammation and joint pain. What do you typically recommend for clients who want to convert to gluten free?
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bumpsters!
  • SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i've been a client of tony's for a year and a 1/2 now -- i forget how spoiled i am to have him answer all of these questions in person! y'all should check out his website from his profile. if you saw my before picture, you'd be high-fiving him right now, that's for sure. he skypes with some of his clients, too.

I just read several success stories on the website including yours ..I really wanted to know who was offering the advice . I was pleasantly surprised by the content on his website and his educational credentials . I recommend visiting.
  • SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    think about skyping. pretty cool stuff.
  • noreen2012
    Options
    thanks bump
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bumping too. Thanks for helping out!
  • 88Fifi88
    88Fifi88 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hey I have had a lot of issues with my weight I have lost A LOT but out it all back on at the moment I am having 1200 NET calories a day of healthy food but am not really seeing results and am starting to feel down. Could I be doing something wrong/not enough? PLEASE HELP =)
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    hi there! thanks for the offer!

i went to my primary care doctor a couple of weeks ago to discuss nutrition and my weight goals, and to see if he could help get my insurance to cover a dietitian.
    in the meantime, he gave me his 2 cents regarding my diet (which if you look at my food diary, is pretty clean and healthy)
    he told me that i should have only one animal by product a day, meaning if i have eggs for breakfast, i shouldn't have chicken for lunch or dinner.

i was having egg white/veggie omelettes for breakfast, hardboiled egg whites, greek yogurt, and slices of turkey as snacks at different points in the day, grilled chicken breast with brussel sprouts and broccoli for lunch, and either chicken , turkey, fish, or a meat substitute for dinner.

he also wanted me to cut back on the yogurt.

i was doing well with what i was eating, and i was enjoying it and feeling good. since then, i have switched to overnight oats for breakfast instead of eggs, but i'm concerned i'm taking in too many carbs, which i feel has always hindered my weight loss.
    i'd love to hear your opinion on his recommendations! thanks!
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    [

Its like you read my mind! I was just thinking earlier I need to speak to a dietitian because I'm confused on some things...
    Question number 1: Do I eat below BMR? Or between BMR and TDEE?

Same question. I should eat about 1600 per day to lose. That will put me under BMR for sure. BMR is 1590. Is it o.k. to eat so little? Can I eat low cal for a short period without slowing my metabolism?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

I'm glad to offer and feedback or help for your nutrition or fitness questions.

Hiya Tony. I was curious what your thoughts were on intermittent fasting as well. Particularly in an Eat Stop Eat pattern, 3 days a week...or alternatively in a leangains type pattern, of 16hrs fasted, and 8hrs fed.

Thanks!

According to my research on the topic, it think its micromanaging. A simple calorie deficit will do the job. However, if it is your preference and helps you with long term dietary compliance, go for it!

Tony its less about micromanaging. With intermittent fasting its just an easy way to create the required caloric deficit for weight loss or staying weight stable during maintenance. Then there are the benefits of intermittent fasting and its easier to do to get the benefits rather than daily caloric restriction.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    [

Its like you read my mind! I was just thinking earlier I need to speak to a dietitian because I'm confused on some things...
    Question number 1: Do I eat below BMR? Or between BMR and TDEE?

Same question. I should eat about 1600 per day to lose. That will put me under BMR for sure. BMR is 1590. Is it o.k. to eat so little? Can I eat low cal for a short period without slowing my metabolism?

Tony there is an actual thread about eating under bmr:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/638520-eating-below-your-bmr

It is based on a 12 week study of overweight people on 800 calories for 12 weeks (eating below bmr obviously). Those that ate 800 calories and only did resistance lost 32 pounds of fat, those that ate 800 calories and only did cardio lost 37 pounds but 10 pounds was LBM. The resistance trainers also increased their BMR slightly while the cardio folks decreased their BMR a lot.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    bump
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony
    I have joined the Navy and gained weight due to such a big life style change Its hard to count cals when living on the ship for weeks at a time since all of our are meals are prepared for us I joined at 146 and I am now almost 170 very and unhappy I feel like all I new about being healthy isnt working for me becuase I counted very cal and use my hrm for every workout to always keep track of things I just feel like I dont even know how to get back to the happy healthier person i use to be

Thanks In advance