Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for the offer. I know you've received several questions so far, but i'm hoping mine wont get missed :happy:

i'm 40, 5'5 and currently 192 pounds (started off at 224). Since January I've followed a moderate calorie deficit (30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat) and the main focus of my exercise program has been strength training (nrol4w and strong lifts) and i also do sprint HIIT 1-2 times a week as well as some easy cardio for 30-45 minutes where I keep my heart rate in the 130-150 range. i also take 1 or 2 days of complete rest. i've lost 30 pounds and 3 pant size but still have about 40 pounds to go until i reach my body fat percentage goal.

i currently have been eating 1750-2000 calories a day (not eating back exercise calories) and i had been progressing quite nicely on my weights but recently i've not only found myself stalling on weights, but on many (especially deadlifts, overhead press and bb rows) i've even had to decrease the weights.

so my question is this, will taking a complete week to deload on the weights and eat at maintenance (2500 calories) help get me back to where i can move past the stalls? my plan is to try that for a week and then the next week get back to eating at a deficit and losing weight.

thanks in advance!

I'm going to enjoy answering this one. Ok...
    1. Try reducing the amount of sets and reps (aka, volume) you do and focus on strength training. Heavy tension resistance is the best way to preserve LBM on a calorie cut. You can also increase your rest a bit more between sets to get your strength back. Try lifting weights closer in the 5-10 rep range which is on the higher end of strength and the lower end of hypertrophy training.

2. I don't recommend deloading on weights during a calorie cut. If you truly feel you have been overreaching in the gym, then yes, a week of maintenance calories with reduced intensity and frequency of training may help you feel better. Also, make sure you are getting adequate sleep.

3. Consider that there is some inevitable strength and muscle loss with any calorie cut. You could try creating a smaller deficit from your maintenance calories to prevent some of this.

Either way, let me know what you end up doing.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Is it easier to lose viseral FAT or subcutaneous FAT ?

I believe the practical answer is that fat loss areas are determined by genetic predisposition.

However, viseral fat deposits are believed to put one at a higher risk for CVD.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump and I will def have some questions for you. Welcome and if you need a friend, just add me:)
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    It's nice to see a registered dietitian on here.

How about we ask more appropriate questions.

What are your views on insulin sensitivity, and reduction of carbohydrate in the diet?
    Keto? Paleo? Slow carb?

What are your views on intermittent fasting and it's many health benefits?

How do you feel about the studies that recommend low carb to help control hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that are key to control appetite?

I've been studying to becomes a dietitian so I can practice dietetics, and I can tell you that what is healthy, and what dietitians are told are two very different things.

1. Carbohydrate sensitivity is something I only heavily consider for diabetics or people with metabolic disorders. I will say, that some people need to "dial in" their energy preferences in relation to carbs.

2. IF is great if its a personal preference. I do not teach it to my clients unless they naturally fall into an IF pattern of eating.

3. I believe that eating higher protein improve satiation and preserve LBM is the important thing to focus on. Lower carbs just happen to be a result of that b/c carbs have the least physiological importance.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Is it easier to lose viseral FAT or subcutaneous FAT ?

I believe the practical answer is that fat loss areas are determined by genetic predisposition.

However, viseral fat deposits are believed to put one at a higher risk for CVD.

visceral :grumble:
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony and Thank you for doing this for us. I showed my food log ( diary) from MFP to someone from the gym and i know that i am always under on my 1200 calories for the day. Plus i do a ton of cardio and strength train on the machines and some free weights...anyway, the comment was i have too much sugar and protein in my diet and i need to stop eating all the fruit or i wont lose much weight. I have 30lbs to go.

Except for the calorie deficit i really thought my diet was made of pretty good choices. I would however like to get away from any of the processed food i eat even though its really very little i think. What do you think? My diary is set to open if you can review it.

Thanks so much.

If you enjoy your balanced diet and are making the progress you want, who cares what anyone else says?

Eating sugar and processed foods is fine. If you can include them and still hit your nutrition goals.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony and Thank you for doing this for us. I showed my food log ( diary) from MFP to someone from the gym and i know that i am always under on my 1200 calories for the day. Plus i do a ton of cardio and strength train on the machines and some free weights...anyway, the comment was i have too much sugar and protein in my diet and i need to stop eating all the fruit or i wont lose much weight. I have 30lbs to go.

Except for the calorie deficit i really thought my diet was made of pretty good choices. I would however like to get away from any of the processed food i eat even though its really very little i think. What do you think? My diary is set to open if you can review it.

Thanks so much.

If you enjoy your balanced diet and are making the progress you want, who cares what anyone else says?

Eating sugar and processed foods is fine. If you can include them and still hit your nutrition goals.

Did you even look at her diary for the past week?
    She is netting WAY under 1000 calories a day, sometimes even negative net.

How about encouraging people to STOP starving to death rather than blowing sunshine up their *kitten* and telling them they are fine doing whatever they want?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    What is your opinion on the idea of cheat meals/cheat days, for someone who is maintaining their weight, and working out 6 days a week ? Do you think it is preferable to having a small treat on a daily basis, and if so, why ?

As long as you are tracking your calories eating the right amount to reach your goals, there is nothing wrong with eating foods for pleasure.

Either have a big splurge once in a while, a small treat every day, or any method you choose and prefer as long as you are getting results you want.
  • thefoodnerd
    thefoodnerd Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have never had official blood tests or anything, but anemia runs in my family, and I am positive I have it. I went to donate blood (twice in the past year) and my hemoglobin was very low. How should I go about upping my iron to get rid of the symptoms? I am a meat eater and a veggie eater. I take a multi with iron, and I started taking 65mg iron supplements 2 days ago.

Any suggestions on what else I can do to increase absorption or how long I can take the iron supplements? When should I notice a change?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm female and 20 years old.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Question--with a bladed juicer, how much of the nutrition doesn't make it into the juice? I am contemplating getting a juicer, because I think it woud be an easy way to up my veggie intake, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I have to wonder how much of the healthy stuff is discarded in the lefover pulp.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    whats your take on carb intake? how much should they be limited too? and how much protein is needed on a low carb diet? I am aiming to lose 10-15 lbs i seem to have stalled despite eating clean for the most part

Figure your calorie goal out. Try 20% below maintenance.
    Eat 1g per pound of LBM to pound of bodyweight.
    Eat .45g of fat per pound of LBM to pound of bodyweight.
    Fill in the rest of your calories with carbs.
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    It's nice to see a registered dietitian on here.

How about we ask more appropriate questions.

What are your views on insulin sensitivity, and reduction of carbohydrate in the diet?
    Keto? Paleo? Slow carb?

What are your views on intermittent fasting and it's many health benefits?

How do you feel about the studies that recommend low carb to help control hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that are key to control appetite?

I've been studying to becomes a dietitian so I can practice dietetics, and I can tell you that what is healthy, and what dietitians are told are two very different things.

I have similar questions about love carb especially gluten free.. I'm pretty sure I'm gluten sensitive and it's causing overall inflammation and joint pain. What do you typically recommend for clients who want to convert to gluten free?

I would first get tested and try an elimination (or LEAP) diet to make sure it is the gluten and not something else.

Also consider that reducing the amount of Omega 6 FAs and increasing Omega 3 FA intake can help reduce inflammation. Regular exercise and maintaining a lower bodyweight can also reduce pain and inflammation.

If you want to go gluten free, start researching different recipes, and try getting on a gluten free forum. There are also RD's that specialize in that kind of lifestyle. I know about it, but its not my specialty.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I still want to know about the Napoleon thing. I swear that's you.

=)
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hey I have had a lot of issues with my weight I have lost A LOT but out it all back on at the moment I am having 1200 NET calories a day of healthy food but am not really seeing results and am starting to feel down. Could I be doing something wrong/not enough? PLEASE HELP =)

Make sure you are being as honest and accurate as possible with the MFP, including weekends. Once you are sure, try a moderate calorie cut of 10% from your current intake.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    hi there! thanks for the offer!

i went to my primary care doctor a couple of weeks ago to discuss nutrition and my weight goals, and to see if he could help get my insurance to cover a dietitian.
    in the meantime, he gave me his 2 cents regarding my diet (which if you look at my food diary, is pretty clean and healthy)
    he told me that i should have only one animal by product a day, meaning if i have eggs for breakfast, i shouldn't have chicken for lunch or dinner.

i was having egg white/veggie omelettes for breakfast, hardboiled egg whites, greek yogurt, and slices of turkey as snacks at different points in the day, grilled chicken breast with brussel sprouts and broccoli for lunch, and either chicken , turkey, fish, or a meat substitute for dinner.

he also wanted me to cut back on the yogurt.

i was doing well with what i was eating, and i was enjoying it and feeling good. since then, i have switched to overnight oats for breakfast instead of eggs, but i'm concerned i'm taking in too many carbs, which i feel has always hindered my weight loss.
    i'd love to hear your opinion on his recommendations! thanks!

If you felt you were doing well with what you were eating, then continue eating according to your preference. If your weight loss has stalled, try a 10% calorie cut from your current intake. You can reduce mostly carbs if you prefer.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sorry but what is TDEE? Thanks!
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Can I add you as a friend? I do have a lot of questions but don't want to clog up the thread with them all. Friend request sent and I'll wait to hear from you in response. Thanks for offering your expertise to us all!