Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Being that I know you've probably done at least a moderate amount of reading on bodybuilding.com in the nutrition section (since I've seen you there), I'm going to presume you're also familiar with Alan Aragon's work and probably Lyle McDonald as well.

Assuming this is true, how much of your formal education agrees with the information they provide and additionally, how recent is the information sources that you used to learn from?

I'm specifically asking this because I'll often read info from other RD's that is, for all practical purposes, a bunch of broscience.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    FITNESS QUESTION - does it make a difference if you work out at night? Because of work/classes I end up usually working out from around 8:30 to 9:30/10 and then eating a protein bar or something small for dinner. Someone told me that will mess me up in the long run because even though I'm working out I'm eating late at night (something about eating late will make me gain weight?)

Nope, makes no difference. Do what works best for you in regards to the time you work out. Also, eating late at night leads to weigh gain= just a myth.

Thank you very much! makes me feel better about my long term goals :)
  • hlovett50
    Options
    Is it true that veggies and fruits are free foods? (Eat as much as you like).
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of questions:) #1: How important is hitting your dietary goal for protein in reference to weight loss? I do my best each day and also drink a whey protein shake to try and up it some, but if I fall under the goal most days...is that going to hurt my weight loss? From the way some people talk, they make it sound like protein is crucial to be on top of.

#2: Does sodium play a huge factor in how fast your able to shed the pounds even if you drink 12 to 14 cups a day of water? I very rarely go over 2500 a day, usually below but I also drink tons of water so doesnt that keep most all the sodium flushed out of me to where it wouldnt affect my weight loss in a bad way?

Thank You!!:)
    ~Carrie~

1. Optimal protein intake will affect the ratio of fat/muscle you lose.
    2. Sodium fluctuations are related to water weight, not true fat weight.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Being that I know you've probably done at least a moderate amount of reading on bodybuilding.com in the nutrition section (since I've seen you there), I'm going to presume you're also familiar with Alan Aragon's work and probably Lyle McDonald as well.

Assuming this is true, how much of your formal education agrees with the information they provide and additionally, how recent is the information sources that you used to learn from?

I'm specifically asking this because I'll often read info from other RD's that is, for all practical purposes, a bunch of broscience.

I think that A.A. does a great job at providing a practical approach to the science of nutrition. My formal degree gave my less practical info, and more science info. I learned most of the practical stuff during my internship and working.

I think that L.M. is a smart guy, but his overall recommendations teeter on the edge of fad dieting and takes some focus off the overall concept that overall calorie balance is the key. In other words- he can be more confusing. AA. is more direct.

I cannot speak for other RD's. I try to stay current on the research. I'll browse pubmed, and I also get newsletters from sports nutrition organizations that cite research, and can get me pointed in the right direction.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Is it true that veggies and fruits are free foods? (Eat as much as you like).

No this is not true. Calories in/ Calories out. Focus on portion sizes.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I think that A.A. does a great job at providing a practical approach to the science of nutrition. My formal degree gave my less practical info, and more science info. I learned most of the practical stuff during my internship and working.

I think that L.M. is a smart guy, but his overall recommendations teeter on the edge of fad dieting and takes some focus on the overall concept that overall calorie balance is the key.

I cannot speak for other RD's. I try to stay current on the research. I'll browse pubmed, and I also get newsletters from sports nutrition organizations that cite research, and can get me pointed in the right direction.

Did you come accross any info in your school-related studies (not independent reading) that you basically went "yeah this is a bunch of crap"?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

There's not much concern in the way of safety when someone is dispensing fairly common sense advice about eating, AND he's coming from the (alleged) position of having specifically studied and worked in the field for at least 4 years, which is better than a lot of people on here dispensing rather ridiculous advice can say. If he were trying to tell people how often to take insulin, I would be worried, but food is a pretty simple and basic thing, and he's not saying anything that anyone with a healthy dose of common sense and personal experience doesn't know, anyway. Until he tells someone it's okay to fast for a month or that you can lose weight eating 3000 calories a day and not exercising, I'm going to say he isn't dispensing "dangerous" advice.

Relax. Inhale, and take it up, exhale down. Give me two more...

I never accused him of dispensing dangerous advice. Please don't condescend to me. Healthcare providers, like another poster mentioned, are often discouraged or prohibited from dispensing individualized advice in linkage with their license for a reason. Also, if he's posting what people already know, then there is really no reason we need to hear it from a healthcare professional specifically, is there?
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Yes, great point. Something I do consider when I just "dish out" free advice are the points you have made. But also consider that if someone wants to go see a RD, they have that choice. Is free advice optimal? No, it is not. Does everyone have access to get individual services? They may or may not. If I can point someone in the right direction, they can decide for themselves with what they have learned, what to do with my advice. I'm not saying I know everything in the world about nutrition, only that I am licensed as a RD, and have some form of formal education. Also, considering that I am in private practice for myself, I have experience in the field as well.

Thanks for answering my question sincerely. :flowerforyou:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to read after my workout!!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I recently found out I am allergic to egg whites, chicken, yeast, most cheese, peanuts, cottage cheese, yogurt (& other items that I would need to go find the paper work for) ! I always have sinus issues and knew I was allergic to something but gosh that was my main sources of protein. What would you suggest now for a daily meal plan, especially breakfast. I work out hard and am lacking in protein! I usally run 4 miles in the morning, do around 40 minutes of lifting in the afternoon and then in the evening I walk around 3 miles with my 3 dogs. I live on a very large farm in Montana so I usually stay very busy. My weight has always been a struggle and right now I am weighing 154 (about what I weighed in my profile pic) and NO I do not eat my exercise cals, some but not all!
    I will send a friend request to stay in touch and I THANK YOU for offering advice!!!
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options

There's not much concern in the way of safety when someone is dispensing fairly common sense advice about eating, AND he's coming from the (alleged) position of having specifically studied and worked in the field for at least 4 years, which is better than a lot of people on here dispensing rather ridiculous advice can say. If he were trying to tell people how often to take insulin, I would be worried, but food is a pretty simple and basic thing, and he's not saying anything that anyone with a healthy dose of common sense and personal experience doesn't know, anyway. Until he tells someone it's okay to fast for a month or that you can lose weight eating 3000 calories a day and not exercising, I'm going to say he isn't dispensing "dangerous" advice.

*****private practice the rules are there mostly because of legal concerns not from doctors going rogue. I see plenty of professionals. Online and Tv trying to sell me products I think the op is awesome for doing this. I'm not going to waste his time with my questions but I'm reading everything he posting. *********************

I never accused him of dispensing dangerous advice. Please don't condescend to me. Healthcare providers, like another poster mentioned, are often discouraged or prohibited from dispensing individualized advice in linkage with their license for a reason. Also, if he's posting what people already know, then there is really no reason we need to hear it from a healthcare professional specifically, is there?
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TisMeEggin
    TisMeEggin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see a registered dietitian on here.

How about we ask more appropriate questions.

What are your views on insulin sensitivity, and reduction of carbohydrate in the diet?
    Keto? Paleo? Slow carb?

What are your views on intermittent fasting and it's many health benefits?

How do you feel about the studies that recommend low carb to help control hormones like Ghrelin and Leptin, that are key to control appetite?

I've been studying to becomes a dietitian so I can practice dietetics, and I can tell you that what is healthy, and what dietitians are told are two very different things.

1. Carbohydrate sensitivity is something I only heavily consider for diabetics or people with metabolic disorders. I will say, that some people need to "dial in" their energy preferences in relation to carbs.

2. IF is great if its a personal preference. I do not teach it to my clients unless they naturally fall into an IF pattern of eating.

3. I believe that eating higher protein improve satiation and preserve LBM is the important thing to focus on. Lower carbs just happen to be a result of that b/c carbs have the least physiological importance.

Knowing what insulin does, how it suppresses key appetite/hunger/fullness hormones, I'm going to say that it's a fair assessment that obese people do have a metabolic disorder. The concept that people are obese because are gluttonous pigs is clearly ridiculous. Hormonal urges to binge on the wrong foods is not something that is controllable easily. If someone has 5-10 lbs to lose, sure, some caloric restriction will suffice, however, with the obesity epidemic growing, I think the root cause of the obesity problems can be summed up with ONE word. Carbohydrate.

Carbohydrate control is key for anyone to lose weight. Going about that should revolve around it. Weather it's done through general caloric restriction, or a tailored diet, over feeding on carbohydrate will result in fat gain. There is simply no way around it.

The general rule to fixing something is to look at the extremes. I'll give an example. A tooth brush. If the tooth brush is overly heavy so granny can't lift it to brush her teeth, and is to short so the strong body builder can't get around his massive chest and arms to reach his mouth, clearly something that fixes both ends of the problem spectrum will resolve the problem for everyone in between.

I think carbohydrate / insulin control is that fix for the extremes that will have benefits for everyone with no negative consequences.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options

*****private practice the rules are there mostly because of legal concerns not from doctors going rogue. I see plenty of professionals. Online and Tv trying to sell me products I think the op is awesome for doing this. I'm not going to waste his time with my questions but I'm reading everything he posting. *********************

Sorry, I honestly misread your post as another "holy cow, a registered dietitian that doesn't agree with everything I believe about the magic of dieting, he must be an idiot" post and got defensive. My apologies. You make a great point.
  • klalaw
    klalaw Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Curious to hear your view on studies indicating that exercise actually plays a minimal role in weight loss. For example, this article (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html) was recommended to me as a partial justification for not eating back exercise calories (combined with the issue over over-estimating calories burned, even with heart rate monitors).
  • gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Sorry, I honestly misread your post as another "holy cow, a registered dietitian that doesn't agree with everything I believe about the magic of dieting, he must be an idiot" post and got defensive. My apologies. You make a great point.

:flowerforyou: Thanks! Sorry I got defensive too.
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    How did you get into this line of work, I'm really interested and have done quite a lot of research but still like to know :)

I started off as a physical therapist in college but switched to nutrition. 4 year degree and an internship later, here I am. I work in private practice doing strength training combined with nutrition programs.

thanks very much :)