Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options
Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

I'm glad to offer and feedback or help for your nutrition or fitness questions.

Replies

• DraoMhaigh
    DraoMhaigh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hiya, welcome and thanks for the offer!
    Is it okay to fast one day a week? I read about many benefits but worry my metabolism will crash and ruin the whole rest of my week.
    I have seen some obese and overweight people put on 800 calorie a day diets and lose loads of weight without a slow on their metabolism!
    I am currently overweight by a good 30lbs and wonder if I can do any of those things?
    Thanks again!
  • yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just read this post written by Banks, who was affiliated with MFP (maybe he still is?) on eating your fitness/exercise calories.
    As an example, I ran for 2 hours today. MFP told me I had 2370 calories today. I was hesitant to eat that many. But evidently, I may not be getting the results by not eating all my excercise calories.
    Just seeking a second opinion.
    Thanks.
    Brenda
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

Hiya Tony. I was curious what your thoughts were on intermittent fasting as well. Particularly in an Eat Stop Eat pattern, 3 days a week...or alternatively in a leangains type pattern, of 16hrs fasted, and 8hrs fed.

Thanks!
  • ctumbarello
    ctumbarello Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the offer. I wanted to add a post so this site is marked. I don't have any questions right now, but starting Monday i will be working out of town for the next 3 months, only coming home on weekends. For now, I will be living in a hotel room, so I am looking into healthy choices when I have to eat out every day. I have plans for yogurt and grapenuts for breakfast, string cheese, fruit from a local store. Not quite sure what I will do for lunches and dinners yet, but part of my August goal is to investigate eating out food options.
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey man

Sent you an invite

anybody else feel free to add me as well

Cheers
  • yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Also, given previously when I worked hard at weight loss, i was eating mostly lean protein and veggies.
    I'm not this time... I wonder if its affecting my success.
    Kinda floundering on that question too.

Thanks for your offer to respond to our questions!!!

Brenda
  • DraoMhaigh
    DraoMhaigh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the offer. I wanted to add a post so this site is marked. I don't have any questions right now, but starting Monday i will be working out of town for the next 3 months, only coming home on weekends. For now, I will be living in a hotel room, so I am looking into healthy choices when I have to eat out every day. I have plans for yogurt and grapenuts for breakfast, string cheese, fruit from a local store. Not quite sure what I will do for lunches and dinners yet, but part of my August goal is to investigate eating out food options.

This sounds great! Please write a blog or in the message boards here about your finds as options.
    I have always been curious as to just HOW healthy the "healthy" options are at restaurants since I never really get a chance to go to them myself due to financial strains.
    And great work on actually trying to maintain a loss on your weight even with your circumstances changing, anyone can do it!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options

Its like you read my mind! I was just thinking earlier I need to speak to a dietitian because I'm confused on some things...
    Question number 1: Do I eat below BMR? Or between BMR and TDEE?
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i posted the below yesterday for someone else who offered advice. i could use lots of it as i am stalled out on losing wieght. so any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. maybe specifically what i can do as resitance training for working at home wth limited funds to buy equipment.

i can use any advice you would like to give me. i started march 4th and lost 23 pounds by june 24th. since june 24th i have only lost a pound. it seemed i was losing when i was not exercising and eating more. i am really confused on how many calories i should it. i eat mostly meat and veggies. i do have some treats but not like i used too. i started walking about 30 minutes a day 3 weeks ago and that has not helped. i am getting really frustrated. i know i do not like breakfast and i like a big dinner so i save alot of my calories for that but that did not hinder my weight loss in the beginning. thanks in advance for any help you can give me. i turn 43 in 2 weeks. i am about 5" 5' and right now wiegh about 218. i started at 242
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ignore my bump in the road :smile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    bumparooney
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hiya, welcome and thanks for the offer!
    Is it okay to fast one day a week? I read about many benefits but worry my metabolism will crash and ruin the whole rest of my week.
    I have seen some obese and overweight people put on 800 calorie a day diets and lose loads of weight without a slow on their metabolism!
    I am currently overweight by a good 30lbs and wonder if I can do any of those things?
    Thanks again!

Nothing wrong with a 1 day fast from food, but I see no benefit of doing it other than if it's your personal preference.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I just read this post written by Banks, who was affiliated with MFP (maybe he still is?) on eating your fitness/exercise calories.
    As an example, I ran for 2 hours today. MFP told me I had 2370 calories today. I was hesitant to eat that many. But evidently, I may not be getting the results by not eating all my excercise calories.
    Just seeking a second opinion.
    Thanks.
    Brenda

I find that the calorie recommendations for exercise on here or often overestimated. I would just try to be consistent with your calories. I don't have any of my clients track exercise on this program for that reason.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

Its like you read my mind! I was just thinking earlier I need to speak to a dietitian because I'm confused on some things...
    Question number 1: Do I eat below BMR? Or between BMR and TDEE?

Start with about 10-20% below your TDEE. BMR is just an estimation on here so take it with a grain of salt.
  • lynzbug217
    lynzbug217 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I was just wondering if you had any tips for burning thigh fat. I am 4'11 & weigh 129 pounds currently. All of my fat goes to my thighs instead of belly & it is really hard for me to fit in shorts or jeans. Any exercises or foods to help?

Thanks,
    Lyndsay
  • knumommi
    knumommi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My tdee is 1908 and my mfp calories are set to 1200 although I regularly eat about 1500 by eating back the 100 to 300 exercise calories and having a plateau, the only thing I can think of is exercising more. How much should I really eat?

Also my bmr is 2153
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • SophieW1988
    Options
    Hi Tony, I'm taking a vegetarian approach to lose some weight. I'm using seitan, tempeh tofu, beans and Greek yogurt as my protein. Have you seen people lose weight once switching to a vegetarian way of eating?
  • kemmy45
    kemmy45 Posts: 59
    Options
    bump
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Bump