Registered Dietitian here. Happy to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, I'm taking a vegetarian approach to lose some weight. I'm using seitan, tempeh tofu, beans and Greek yogurt as my protein. Have you seen people lose weight once switching to a vegetarian way of eating?

Vegetarians need to be extra careful about getting in enough and variety sources of protein. Also be sure you are supplementing with iron, calcium, zinc, vitamin D and b vitamins either through food or supplement. A basic multivitamin with iron and a Vit D/ Calcium supplement will do the trick. This is because most of those nutrients come in animal products.

Vegetarianism is an ethical choice, and not a superior diet for health or weight loss. There is no health benefit one way or the other from eliminating entire food groups from one's diet.

My personal opinion is that factory farming is not humane to animals, and if someone wanted to eat more "ethically" vegetarian is certainly an option. So is choosing more humanely processed animal products such as local farmers, or organics.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi there... First off, some background... I'm 32 years old, 5' 6.5", weigh 149.4lbs. and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 10 (it runs heavily in my family). I've been on an insulin pump for many years and have recently added a continuous glucose monitor. My blood sugar is in great control - my last A1C was 6.3 and now that I have my CGM, I'm certain it's dropped even further.

Anyway, I gained 18 pounds after getting married in July 2010 and have been fighting the last 320 days to lose that 18 pounds. I'm trying to get to 140lbs. as my goal, or, as an "ultimate" goal weight, 135lbs. I've lost 8 so far and seem to be stuck. I weigh in and take measurements once per month, the Saturday after my TOM. This month I lost 0.6 pounds. I am frustrated to no end. You can see from my diary that the last month, though I might have a few days over calories, my overall week comes in under my goal of 1300. I work out virtually every day, at least an hour, if not two. I use the upright bike virtually every day and supplement with weight lifting and Zumba 3-4 days/week. I use my Polar FT7 to track my calorie burn in the hope that I'm tracking as accurately as possible.

I'm wondering, is there something I'm doing wrong? What can I do to lose a couple pounds per month instead of 0.6? Do I need to change my food? Exercise? Any insight would be VERY appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Amber,

You are certainly doing a lot of things right! Here's what you should do. 1. Cut your calories about 10%. 2. Eat more protein, about 100-150g per day. 3. Make sure your portion sizes are accurate and choose the most accurate food in MFP.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Exactly what did you have to do to become a "registered dietitian?"

A 4 year degree in Nutrition Sciences plus a 6 month long 1200 hour internship and then a big test to get my license.

Every year to maintain my RD, I have to do continuing education courses and stay involved in the science of nutrition.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hiya, welcome and thanks for the offer!
    Is it okay to fast one day a week? I read about many benefits but worry my metabolism will crash and ruin the whole rest of my week.
    I have seen some obese and overweight people put on 800 calorie a day diets and lose loads of weight without a slow on their metabolism!
    I am currently overweight by a good 30lbs and wonder if I can do any of those things?
    Thanks again!

Nothing wrong with a 1 day fast from food, but I see no benefit of doing it other than if it's your personal preference.

So you see no benifits from fasting? How about growth hormone production, insulin regulation, and other fat loss promoting hormonal response? I've read all of these are benefits...just want to get the straight scoop.

Thanks for the follow up. Yes, I am aware of the research from which that information was extrapolated. However, I see no significant benefits for fasting other than personal preference. The benefits may be minute at best, but in the overall consideration of things, I would never recommend it unless a clients specifically wanted to do it.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony, thanks for posting here! I've been on a plateau for about 4 months - gaining and losing the same couple pounds. I'm getting really frustrated and not sure how to push myself back into loss (I still have about 20 lbs to go before I am in a "normal" BMI range) Any tips?
    I'm a high-protein vegetarian & eat about 1400 cals a day (spread out into about 5 little meal/snacks through the day), getting exercise in about 2-3 times a week.

You need to cut calories. Try a 10% cut and make sure you are being consistent. Check your weight again in a month.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

I'm glad to offer and feedback or help for your nutrition or fitness questions.

Well Torry I was wondering if you could tell me some simple workouts that I can do at home with no professional equipment that will help me lose fat from my thighs and calfs. I'm kinda desperate. Because I seem to be losing fat from my stomach quite well but I don't see much diference in my leg area.

And this applies to anyone else who could help me, I would so much appreciate it.

You can get a set of adjustable dumbbells for under $50, which is all you really need. Just start off with a basic, full-body routine 2-3x per week, making sure you are improving in reps, weight, sets, rest time, or difficulty of an exercise in a methodical and planned approach.

The fat loss will happen with a sustained an consistent calorie deficit. The exercise will preserve your muscles and keep you looking lean.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    You can get black beans w/o added salt, you could try getting "samples" of protein at the supplement store (just get individual cans or sample powder packets" until you find one you like,

Really any high protein food with no added salt will do the trick. You can also just double up on portion sizes of proteins you already eat.
    Hi Tony -

I'm trying to add more protein into my diet but I despise beans except for Black beans and I need to watch sodium due to a congenital heart defect. So, beef jerky and cheese are often out unless I can find a lower sodium option.

What are you suggestions for adding protein while paying attention to sodium intake? I know protein powders and shakes but I"M having trouble finding one I like.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Much appreciate the offer to help some of us wandering through improving our health!

Cindy
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony and Thank you for doing this for us. I showed my food log ( diary) from MFP to someone from the gym and i know that i am always under on my 1200 calories for the day. Plus i do a ton of cardio and strength train on the machines and some free weights...anyway, the comment was i have too much sugar and protein in my diet and i need to stop eating all the fruit or i wont lose much weight. I have 30lbs to go.

Except for the calorie deficit i really thought my diet was made of pretty good choices. I would however like to get away from any of the processed food i eat even though its really very little i think. What do you think? My diary is set to open if you can review it.

Thanks so much.

ladyark:

you eat way too little. you are starving. I am shocked you are not in the hospital right now. Keep it up and you will be eventually.

MEET YOUR CALORIE GOAL EVERY DAY
  • sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, thanks for posting here! I've been on a plateau for about 4 months - gaining and losing the same couple pounds. I'm getting really frustrated and not sure how to push myself back into loss (I still have about 20 lbs to go before I am in a "normal" BMI range) Any tips?
    I'm a high-protein vegetarian & eat about 1400 cals a day (spread out into about 5 little meal/snacks through the day), getting exercise in about 2-3 times a week.

You need to cut calories. Try a 10% cut and make sure you are being consistent. Check your weight again in a month.

disagree strongly. i eat 1450 on the days i do nothing and 1700 to 2000 on the days i kick butt at the gym.(weights/cardio)
    once i increased my calories from 1200 i started dropping weight. i was stuck for months because i was eating too LITTLE.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    What are your thoughts about IF (16/8).

I have spoken with another dietitian about the pro/cons, and it sound too good to be true. I normally have to force myself to eat in the morning, and keeping an eye on the clock to make sure I eat every few hours is becoming quite tiresome.

Thank you.

EDIT~I am eating 1520 (per BodPod) , eating part of exercise calories and working out (run/walk 5x, hot power yoga 3x per week)

If it is your preference to IF, go for it. It has behavior compliance benefits for people who prefer to eat an IF pattern. If you don't want to eat breakfast, you don't have to. To me, IF or not, whatever my client's preferences are, we will achieve goals by getting the appropriate amount of calories and macro/micronutrients each day while considering the preference and tolerance of each person's individual needs.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

disagree strongly. i eat 1450 on the days i do nothing and 1700 to 2000 on the days i kick butt at the gym...( weights/cardio)
    once i increased my calories from 1200 i started dropping weight. i was stuck for months because i was eating too LITTLE.

I agree with Jules. Tony, you may have a degree in whatever, but dispensing generic advice on the internet can be harmful. You don't know this woman's age, height, weight, anything at all, and you told her to cut 10% off her intake. What if she is already eating too little?
  • leypb
    leypb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello, how many eggs is it health to eat a day? I eat 2-4 as I love the taste and they are really healthy. I know there are a lot of myths surrounding eggs, are they safe to eat lots?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony! First let me say thanks for sharing your expertise. Also, I would like to ask you what your take is on "Starvation Mode" and "Eat more to weigh less". I'm currently on the 1200 calories a day. I do not eat back my exercise calories and honestly on some days, unless we eat out, I have a hard time reaching the 1200 goal. I actively joined MFP on July 17th and I have lost 11 pounds so I believe it's working for me. Before I started MFP I would skip breakfast and lunch then eat ANYTHING for dinner, not really caring about the calorie or fat. Needless to say that did not work for me. I'm trying to do things right now by distributing my calories through out the day. I just see so much about starvation mode and eating more than 1200 cal. a day, that it really confuses me. What's your take?

Your metabolism can slow down as you lose muscle and decrease your non exercise-induced thermogenesis over time while you are starving.

That being said, most people think they are in starvation mode, when they are truly not. Most people slowly get more relaxed about portion sizes and consistency over time using MFP. Consider this before making changes.

In regards to meal frequency, eat according to your preference. You can distribute calories any way you wish.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I am always over on my protein. Is this okay
    and can it have negative effects on the body?

I believe that 1 to 1.3 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight (or pound of lean body mass for the obese) is the most shown to have benefit in the research.

There is nothing wrong with going over that unless it means you are deficient in fats or micronutrients.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony...
    Thanks for answering all the questions and I hope you can answer mine as well.
    I have been on a low cal diet for about 6 months now and I have been very successful.
    I have lost 30 lbs since starting my diet but now i have hit a wall. No matter what I do
    I can not lose any more. I would like to lose at least 30 more lbs.
    I have been on 800 calorie diet for a while now and I am used to it. But it's frustrating
    for me now. It seems no matter how much I am dieting I can't lose any more.
    I am on my feet all day, since I am in nursing. I don't exercise much.
    I walk as much as i can and drink a lot of water during the day.
    Could you please tell me what am I doing wrong and how can i kick up my diet.
    Thanks

I would first start by making absolutely sure you are consuming 800 calories exact. Measure, weigh, and record everything to the best of your ability on weekdays and weekends. On such a low calorie diet, most of your calories should be coming from proteins and fats, as there is not much room left for carbs.

You could try to take a planned break from your diet for 1 week and eat at calculated maintance calories, and then cut calories again. Measure your progress.

Or you might want to see the doctor if you are truly eating that little and not losing. Get some tests done.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    just wondering, is Sweet N Low ok to use?

Yes. It is just fine.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hey y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer. I have all of my clients use MFP and I'm a big fan of this program.

I'm glad to offer and feedback or help for your nutrition or fitness questions.
    Hey Tony I'm wonder do I eat back my burned calories to lose weight I have not been and am doing fine losing but I keep hearing I should be......If I do then do I set MFP up to be eating at my BMR??? what I do now is have it set at my BMR and eat at around that and what I burn I don't eat. Thanks and your more than welcome to check out my food diarybto give me suggestions thanks again

There is nothing wrong with creating a big calorie deficit if you are able to stay consistent and you are not at risk of any deficiencies. I would say your current regime is just fine as long as you are feeling OK about it.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi, my name is Yirandy and the reason why I joined its, cause I wanna gaine 15 to 20 pounds. Im 31 years old current weight it 115 height 5'5. Any suggestions?

If you want to gain weight, I recommend lifting weights, and eating about 20% calories over maintenance calories, to start off.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump...