Hemp Protein vs Whey Protein

Options

Replies

• lovethepirk
    lovethepirk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mr M,

I don't think that is a proper evaluation. If you add up the grams on the hemp there you get around 37 grams vs 99 on the whey. I'm sure that was whey isolate vs hemp seeds or some light protein hemp powder.

For me to eat 20 grams of protein I need to eat about 30 grams of hemp or 25 grams of whey isolate so the study should be done on only the 20 grams of protein not the total weight eaten b/c some of that is fat/fiber/carbs/etc.

The science on this is still out there so take this for what it is...my best evaluation using averages on several isolate labels and several hemp studies.....these are per 18.5 grams of protein consumed for each....tlgajum98yt0.jpg
  • lovethepirk
    Options
    Mr M...your analysis is using a substrate that is 37% protein vs one that is 99%. My analysis is based on two real world products. I ingest 30 more calories for a scoop of my hemp vs whey, that is not material bc it is from the extra 3 grams of fats I am eating in the hemp which my body uses and I will not eat that elsewhere. Those calories are used they don't evaporate into thin air.

You cannot copy and paste an analysis like you did that is a natural seed vs a products produced from milk getting you 99% clean protein. That is like analyzing a peanut vs whey protein isolate....makes zero sense.

Here is real life...

The FACT is I buy Hemp 70 which is 67% protein(30 gram scoop is 20 grams protein), the Jarrow Isolate I buy is 78% protein(23 gram scoop is 18 grams protein). I compare the AMOUNT of amino acids I am ingesting by basically comparing these two scoops. The calories are not material b/c regardless if you have to eat more hemp you will then eat less of something else. The extra 3 grams of fat I eat per scoop of Hemp doesn't just evaporate....the body uses it and it fills you up as well as slows the absorption rate of the carbs as well as affects hunger hormones positively.

A proper analysis is not using a substrate that is 99% protein vs 37% protein as you did. I am using a real life substrate that is 78 vs 67% protein and is something you can purchase and mix together...it is a real life analysis.

The fact is both proteins have pluses and minuses....the whey wins a little in the essential aminos and in leucine, while in the arginine is higher with the hemp.

Hope that makes sense to you...I'm not chewing on raw hemp seeds here at 37% protein content.
  • lovethepirk
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A scoop of Hemp 70 to get 20 grams of AMINO ACIDS into your body REQUIRES you to eat 30 grams.
    A scoop of Whey Jarrow Isolate to get 20 grams of Aminos into your body REQUIRES you to eat 25.6 grams.
    To get the SAME amount of aminos from these two different products you need to eat 1 level tsp of more hemp or 4.4 grams.

So if you make a shake of the HEMP 70 you have to consume 4.4 more grams of total weight to get the SAME amount of AMINO ACIDS into your body.

Now....since everyone here but you realizes that 4.4 grams of extra weight is meaningless then everyone else can understand since Tom ate 20 grams of Hemp Amino Acids and Jane ate 20 grams of Whey Amino Acids it is time to analyze those different amino acids.

My excel sheet shows the breakdown of them both.

I hope this clearly explains to you how easy it is to eat 20 grams of amino acids in Hemp vs Whey. 4 grams may take you 10 hours to eat but for the rest of us 4 grams is a tsp.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think this is the correct information on Optimum Nutrition.

optimum-gold-standard-100-whey-amino-profile.jpg

I'm interested in this because I supplement my protein intake with protein powder.
  • lovethepirk
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I called you stupid b/c you are not listening. Life is tough, sometimes you need to be talked to.

Good job finding that label...that is 30 grams of powder for 21 grams of protein just like I said. ~67% vs your ignorant post of 37% protein profile. Your gold coin formula comes in at 30 grams of powder and 24 grams of protein. Good job finding some powder with 3 extra grams of protein per 30 gram scoop. Unfortunately, I can just eat 3 extra grams of the Hemp and catch up to you. I'm also eating some decent fatty acids when I add those hard to eat 3 extra grams.

I hope now that you see your Gold Coins are only 24 grams and the hemp is 21 grams per 30 gram scoop. For you to post an amino acid profile with 99 grams vs 37 grams was misleading to those learning and foolish.

Like I said, I use both, b/c they are both good. You are completely forgetting the speed at which both absorb. Why would you think one is best? Some people don't want muscle growth(leucine), some people may want more nitric oxide and artery health(arginine), some people want a slower absorption, some people want enormous muscles. You are ignorant if you think Whey is the best protein. There isn't a best protein. I eat both for a reason.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options

To me, it seems the ON has more arganine.

Your point is moot for me in this discussion anyway, I tend to make my protein decisions on a very simple level: bang for calorie buck. I don't care about the finer points of this discussion though it interests me to learn.

If I could have it, I'd take the ON. I can't sadly, since I have celiac disease and there are gluten cross-contamination issues in its manufacturing.
  • lovethepirk
    Options
    Mama, MrM posted some completely misleading info and then tried to defend it. He is stating Whey is superior. It is not. It's a great protein just as Hemp is. I posted the profile breakdown above given 18.5 grams of protein ingested for each. It is accurate enough to evaluate the data.

Let's talk calories for a second. Whey has less calories b/c it has a little more protein and less fat than hemp. That's fantastic, BUT you will need to then eat that fat after you take the Whey to feel as satisfied or maintain the same amount of bodily functions. For instance, you are a machine...you feed the machine 3 extra grams of fat hence more calories...well you can walk that machine further than the machine you feed 3 less grams of fat. It all works out in the end.....When I eat 3 extra grams of fat in the Hemp it's not like my body just throws it out or immediately stores it as fat....the body uses it and uses it effectively. I won't need to eat those 3 grams later as the Whey person. It is a mute argument on the calories. If Hemps extra 20-30 calories is too much for you then just eat 3 grams of less fat in your next meal.

The arginine in the hemp is much higher. hope that makes sense.
  • Kitcandoo
    Kitcandoo Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I almost hesitate to post because I am just an average Joe but I have had excellent results using a whey protein. It's 30 gr. Of protein. No added sugar. 1 carb. And it satiates me and has helped me lose weight. Not that it's what I made smoothies with it for. My FIL is diabetic. I started making him smoothies with it....he has dropped a couple pounds and his blood sugar went down for the first time in 6 months. I'm just sharing my limited experience. But I am quite happy with it. Hope this helps.
  • lovethepirk
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm done talking with you and I think people can see the truth here, if they can't see who is speaking the truth then like I said you can't fix stupid.

-For those that want a side-by-side comparison of ingesting 18.5 grams of whey isolate vs 18.5 grams of hemp 70, I've again attached the excel sheet for you to look at.

-To eat 18.5 grams of protein you need to eat either 24 grams of isolate powder or 27.5 grams of Hemp 70 powder.

Facts:
    30 grams Hemp 70 has 21 grams protein
    30 grams Whey Isolate 24 grams protein
    Whey lacks the same amount of essential fats found in the Hemp and you will need to eat that later on in the day
    Whey has less calories due to less fat content
    Whey has more leucine, the other essential aminos are mixed as to which has larger
    Hemp has more arginine(artery/nitric oxide/immune help)
    Both proteins are good

mrv6ykyhf4w2.jpg
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I called you stupid b/c you are not listening. Life is tough, sometimes you need to be talked to.

Good job finding that label...that is 30 grams of powder for 21 grams of protein just like I said. ~67% vs your ignorant post of 37% protein profile. Your gold coin formula comes in at 30 grams of powder and 24 grams of protein. Good job finding some powder with 3 extra grams of protein per 30 gram scoop. Unfortunately, I can just eat 3 extra grams of the Hemp and catch up to you. I'm also eating some decent fatty acids when I add those hard to eat 3 extra grams.

I hope now that you see your Gold Coins are only 24 grams and the hemp is 21 grams per 30 gram scoop. For you to post an amino acid profile with 99 grams vs 37 grams was misleading to those learning and foolish.

Like I said, I use both, b/c they are both good. You are completely forgetting the speed at which both absorb. Why would you think one is best? Some people don't want muscle growth(leucine), some people may want more nitric oxide and artery health(arginine), some people want a slower absorption, some people want enormous muscles. You are ignorant if you think Whey is the best protein. There isn't a best protein. I eat both for a reason.
    Mama, MrM posted some completely misleading info and then tried to defend it. He is stating Whey is superior. It is not. It's a great protein just as Hemp is. I posted the profile breakdown above given 18.5 grams of protein ingested for each. It is accurate enough to evaluate the data.

Let's talk calories for a second. Whey has less calories b/c it has a little more protein and less fat than hemp. That's fantastic, BUT you will need to then eat that fat after you take the Whey to feel as satisfied or maintain the same amount of bodily functions. For instance, you are a machine...you feed the machine 3 extra grams of fat hence more calories...well you can walk that machine further than the machine you feed 3 less grams of fat. It all works out in the end.....When I eat 3 extra grams of fat in the Hemp it's not like my body just throws it out or immediately stores it as fat....the body uses it and uses it effectively. I won't need to eat those 3 grams later as the Whey person. It is a mute argument on the calories. If Hemps extra 20-30 calories is too much for you then just eat 3 grams of less fat in your next meal.

The arginine in the hemp is much higher. hope that makes sense.

Strong arguments you have there needing to resort to calling someone stupid foolish and ignorant. And the argument that poor me doesn't get 3 grams of fat from protein powder. Because we all know people buy the protein powder that provides the most fat and not the one with a better amino acid profile and grams of protein per serving.

You guys are answering two different questions. The OP asked about products but the question you quoted was specifically about protein quality. I seem to be too dense to figure out how to add multiple quotes, so:

tedboosalis7 wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

This - hemp protein is a lower quality protein - if you have no issues using whey or a complete protein, then you should use that version over hemp.

What gauge of "quality" are you using to determine this ?

Mr is talking products and Pirk is comparing protein quality in the technical sense (i.e. amino acid profile and how well it meets human requirements), so there can never be any kind of agreement, as each of you thinks the other is missing the point.

Just something I noticed.
  • lovethepirk
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Makepeas,

Fair enough on your points, but let me add something to what you said. If you had to eat 5 times the amount of hemp powder than whey then I don't care how you slice it Whey would be a winner. This guy posted his answer to quality by posting 37 grams of hemp vs 99 grams of isolate. That would be like me saying you have to drink 3 cups of milk and 300 calories to get the same protein as hemp 70.

Whey isolate is a derivative of milk proteins and it has low fat so you will need to eat that fat at some point in the day. Hemp 70 is a derivate of hemp seeds and it has more fat so you will NOT need to eat that fat later in the day.

The guy I was trying to set straight posted a comparison of Isolated whey protein vs basically hemp seeds. Given his post I would be chewing on 3/4 of a pound of hemp seeds for an hour to equal a whey shake. Instead, all I have to do is add 3 grams more of hemp powder to equal his golden powder. AND don't forget....the whey consumer is going to have to find ROOM in his/her stomach later in the day for a high quality fatty acids in an Omega 6-3 ration of 3-1ish. Where is this person going to get those fats from in such a high quality ratio??? Well...the hemp consumer already took care of that question, the whey consumer has to hunt for food with that ratio.

Like I said all along....hemp is a great protein and so is whey. They absorb at diff speeds and compliment each other. To snuff your nose at one or the other is by definition ignorant.
  • lovethepirk
    Options
    Attached is the products I use in my shake and I put the recipe in one of my earlier posts. I just started with the seeds b/c I wasn't eating enough fats. The seeds you see are composed of 50% fat. If you don't want that much fat then just remove them. I may dial them back in the near future, but I can tell you this recipe keeps me full for a long time. I think the fats really help. Once I run out of seeds I will adjust the recipe and see....Also attached is my nutrition breakdown....lrzcxlgqca7l.jpg

8ro6bdspdbpf.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Sorry. I really couldn't care less about the fat you keep going on about. I still see whey coming out ahead in more amino acids and in protein per calorie.

If I want fat, I'll put a pat of butter on my vegetables. If I want fat in my shake, I'll add some almond butter.

Speaking as a layperson, of course. A 52 year old, who's only 5' 1" and on a 1200 calorie diet. The calorie/protein ratio matters to me.
  • lovethepirk
    Options
    20 grams of amino acids is 20 grams of amino acids...just eat 3 more grams of hemp. It's not rocket science....3 grams of hemp powder is a tsp....why are we discussing such small amounts....better yet just mix them 50-50 and be done with it. You are taking side on an issue that doesn't have a winner.

If you are dialing in your protein content per cubic millimeter of powder you eat then you should be so careful when choosing your fats....you are using almond butter or butter. The fats in the hemp blow those two choices out of the water. Why add so many omega 6's in your shake when you could just go with hemp at a 3-1 omega profile and not need to add almond butter. Keep it simple. By adding almond butter you just made your Whey shake more calories and less effective than the hemp. Also, you just added back those 3 grams that you have to burden swallowing with the hemp shake. I promise you the extra tsp of hemp is a not a large swallow :)

Again, there is no winner, they are both good.
This discussion has been closed.