is eating 1900 cal a day and burning 1000 in the gym healthy

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yeah the OP is missing vital information that they need to clarify. For instance, I could read the post as they didn't explicitly claim to burn 1000 calories everyday.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Why 1000 calories burn in gym seems so strange to all of you?
    I burn 1000-1500 calories per day in cycling according my polar rc3

It's not strange. It just takes a long time to achieve it. Most people don't have that kind of time to spend working out.

For example, I'm 5'2 and 20 lbs over weight. It takes me over 3 hours of low grade hiking to hit 900 calories burned, and that's on a good day.

The average person doesn't have 3 hours to dedicate to exercise... every single day.

I can burn 1000 calories a day with the amount of walking around i have to do, to and from work and generally around. In fact, i burn that five days a week! It's not impossible :)
  • lauraweres
    lauraweres Posts: 22 Member
    Options

It's not strange. It just takes a long time to achieve it. Most people don't have that kind of time to spend working out.

For example, I'm 5'2 and 20 lbs over weight. It takes me over 3 hours of low grade hiking to hit 900 calories burned, and that's on a good day.

The average person doesn't have 3 hours to dedicate to exercise... every single day.

the fitter you get the quicker and shorter period of time you spend in the gym with the same after burn ! And I actually spent 3 hours yesterday so it can be done !!
  • libramb02
    libramb02 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Burning 1000 at the gym is difficult for someone under 300lbs to imagine. Trust me, it can be done. Whether or not it's healthy? Well that's for a physician to determine. I can burn 1000 in less than an hour at the gym.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    lauraweres wrote: »
    I'm a girl 5ft 3 , weighing 8st 10lb if I ran on the treadmill at 10.5mph for 1 hour my burn is around 650cals .. so actually it is possible , but you would be very tired burning that much , but then if I was a 6ft heavy guy running 1 hour that would be about right the more you weigh the more your body burns! But eating back all the calories you burn wouldn't make you lose weight , you might stay the same weight but become much fitter in yourself , however burn yourself out !

You can average 5.7 minute miles for an hour?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

the fitter you get the quicker and shorter period of time you spend in the gym with the same after burn ! And I actually spent 3 hours yesterday so it can be done !!

Um, no. The less you weigh, the fewer calories you burn. And running 16.9km (10.5 miles) in 60 minutes is a lot, so I’d make sure your numbers are correct there.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Before pregnancy, I hiked 3x a week for 3 hours, and I started doing that well after 6 months of working out. Yes, your body does become more efficient, but I still had to go for 3 hours to see those high numbers, and most of the time they were closer to 750-800. And I wore a HRM every time. Yes, I'm overweight. I was overweight moreso when I was doing it (and had the time). If someone who is overweight and used to exercise has to go that long to see those numbers, it's not unreasonable to question calorie burns that are high and are 'less time'. Can it be done? Sure, but it takes a heck of alot of work and time and/or someone who is much much more heavier.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I can burn 1000 calories a day with the amount of walking around i have to do, to and from work and generally around. In fact, i burn that five days a week! It's not impossible :)

OP said "in the gym", so in addition to his normal activities. Most people burn well more than 1,000 calories during the day just being alive. Burning an extra 1,000 in the gym is possible, but not something the average person usually does.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Oh .. the over estimated EPOC.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There was a whole thread on this and it can be done. The thread went on for pages and pages. Its not that big a deal.
    Just an average gym goer isnt going to get near that unless they put in quite an amount of time.

Variables
    Duration= you wont be doing it in 1hr, but if you spend 2 or 3hrs exercising during the day its possible if you have the time. Just because you might not have the time doesnt mean someone else doesnt. Someone who cycles to and from work would have a big head start.Um assuming many peoples workouts might last 45 mins-1hr and part of that will include geting a drink , wandering round, messing with your phone, resting etc. Most people would fall asleep on long gym sessions.

Intensity= Obviously if all you do is walking or a gentle intensity then the calorie burn per hour is going to be much lower than if you are really trying hard and oushing your heart rate.

Weight= The more you weigh the more calories per hour you will be burning because you are moving more weight. It can be a substantially greater amount if you are 200lbs compared to 130lbs.

Brian obviously spin bikes burn substantially less all things being equal, but the limiting factor on burns is the person doing the exercise more than the activity.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I'm a girl 5ft 3 , weighing 8st 10lb if I ran on the treadmill at 10.5mph for 1 hour my burn is around 650cals .. so actually it is possible , but you would be very tired burning that much , but then if I was a 6ft heavy guy running 1 hour that would be about right the more you weigh the more your body burns! But eating back all the calories you burn wouldn't make you lose weight , you might stay the same weight but become much fitter in yourself , however burn yourself out !

Wow... Impressive.

Some of the fastest miles ran by a woman are ran in that amount of time. A few have made it under 5 minutes for a mile.

I would check how fast you think you ran for an hour...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    There was a whole thread on this and it can be done. The thread went on for pages and pages. Its not that big a deal.
    Just an average gym goer isnt going to get near that unless they put in quite an amount of time.

Variables
    Duration= you wont be doing it in 1hr, but if you spend 2 or 3hrs exercising during the day its possible if you have the time. Just because you might not have the time doesnt mean someone else doesnt. Someone who cycles to and from work would have a big head start.Um assuming many peoples workouts might last 45 mins-1hr and part of that will include geting a drink , wandering round, messing with your phone, resting etc. Most people would fall asleep on long gym sessions.

Intensity= Obviously if all you do is walking or a gentle intensity then the calorie burn per hour is going to be much lower than if you are really trying hard and oushing your heart rate.

Weight= The more you weigh the more calories per hour you will be burning because you are moving more weight. It can be a substantially greater amount if you are 200lbs compared to 130lbs.

Brian obviously spin bikes burn substantially less all things being equal, but the limiting factor on burns is the person doing the exercise more than the activity.

I know. But without key details it is impossible to assess if that person's claims are feasible.
  • BrandenSloan
    BrandenSloan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    not many people talking about BMR here. Eating 1900 and "burning a 1000" is not all that needs to be taken into account, your body has base level requirement that needs to be met before extra calories burned can be taken into account.

So if you really are burning 1000 calories (which is possible if you work a busy, physical job and exercise for an extended period of time at a high intensity, on the same day), this needs to be added to your BMR. Then you can subtract your calories expended from total caloric intake.

If those numbers your giving are accurate you're probably in a deficit which won't be good long term, but good for burning some body fat stores.
  • 999tigger
    Options

I know. But without key details it is impossible to assess if that person's claims are feasible.

They are or they arent, does it make a difference?

Think for the purpose of his question you can give 2 answers based on whether they are or are not burning that amount. Answer 1 he is overestimating. Answer 2 he is telling the truth and is burning that amount?

I do see loads of people in the gym just going through the motions and appearing to make little effort (notwithstanding health issues or just fitness levels).
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

So if I go to gym, and instead of lifting my hypertrophy weights for reps, and switch over to heavy weights, does that mean I'm going to burn more/quicker?
  • 999tigger
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Snow3y wrote: »

So if I go to gym, and instead of lifting my hypertrophy weights for reps, and switch over to heavy weights, does that mean I'm going to burn more/quicker?

Im talking about cardio, heavier people burn more calories per hour(all things being equal). Do you disagree?

Btw trying to answer your question then whether one method will burn immediate calories faster than another depends. If you were lifting but doing many reps, then that would be more akin to cardio and get your heart rate up for longer periods than just doing a few heavy lifts, which also has more periods of doing nothing. You wouldnt do lifting for calorie burns though, but for the longer term benefits of preserving or building muscle and the different benefits that has over a simple calorie burn.

Whether one activity burns more than another, then youd have to compare. By moving more weight I meant what a person weighs and their body, not what they were lifting.
  • tschlach
    tschlach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym and on the elliptical I burn about 300-310 for 30 mins peer the machine. I put my wright in on the machine. When I get done and log it on MFP pours it in anywhere from 530-560. I always adjust it to what the machine does I've done. Kudos to you if you are burning that many calories. Just be sure to eat right.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Wow... Impressive.

Some of the fastest miles ran by a woman are ran in that amount of time. A few have made it under 5 minutes for a mile.

I imagine she really meant 10.5 min miles, not mph. That works okay with the calories she suggested (650 in an hour).

I personally think it's likely a little less--I'm 5'3 and find that when I run around 10 min miles and get 6 miles in an hour the calorie count according to the usual methods of estimating are more like 550 calories.

Anyway, so I could burn 1000 calories if I ran 11-12 miles. I've never done that in the gym (sounds like hell), but I do outside sometimes. Not every day, of course.

I would think that burning 1000 in the gym on a regular basis was unlikely, but who knows. If you are heavier you do burn more calories per hour in the same activity. But if you are out of shape it's not likely you can pull off 2 hours of actually intense exercise, and for me 2 hours of non intense exercise would not get me to 1000.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Wow... Impressive.

I imagine she really meant 10.5 min miles, not mph. That works okay with the calories she suggested (650 in an hour).

I personally think it's likely a little less--I'm 5'3 and find that when I run around 10 min miles and get 6 miles in an hour the calorie count according to the usual methods of estimating are more like 550 calories.

Oh! That's most likely it! Whoops!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

that would be your everyday burn not 1000 from exercise.