"Just Fit it in to your Daily Allowance"

Hi,

I've been using MFP for a couple weeks now. I find the forum really interesting and helpful. I'm really curious about a statement that I read quite a lot; "eat whatever you want as long as it fits within your allowance".

I'm on 1200 calories a day, so realistically I don't have a lot of calories to play around with. Even with making my meals better 'value for calories', I just have not got spare calories kicking around to treat myself to an indulgent dessert or a full takeaway or a bag of sweets or a bowl of coco pops at the end of the day.

I'm eating well and don't feel hungry for the most part so that's all good. I just know I'm on this weight loss journey for the long haul and at some point I'm going to want to have 'treats' without having to sacrifice a meal.

So I guess I'm wondering how people on 1200 calories do it?

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    We eat more and still lose weight. Me, to lose weight I eat around 1700-1900 calories, 45 years old and 5'2!! ;)
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited May 2015
    Do you exercise? You can always use any earned exercise calories back for treats. I think that's what some do. Me personally I will never drop my calories to 1200. It's just too restrictive. When I get to the point where my calories are too low (right now they are at 1600, but they increase when I exercise usually to between 1800 or 1900), I will adjust the amount of weight to lose per week.

And OP, it says you still have over 100 pounds to lose. You could be eating way more than 1200 and still lose weight. Pace yourself so that you don't burn out. I've lost almost 90 pounds, but when I started I was eating over 2000 a day and losing, now this many pounds down I am still eating at least 1600.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    1200 calories is a pretty low calorie goal for most. Reevaluate your daily calorie allowance.

Also, avoiding carb heavy items goes a long way.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    I still don't get why people go to 1200 calories a day... it seems so low.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    I tried the 1200 thing for awhile but was always hungry. I switched it to 1500 plus any workout and find I am still steadily losing. (5'7" female 183lb)
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    I still don't get why people go to 1200 calories a day... it seems so low.

I always wonder the same thing. My 1600 even seems low to me on the days I don't exercise to earn more.

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    I'm in maintenance at 1,600 calories a day, but I understand how difficult this must be for you. Focus on a lot of nutrient-rich dense foods lower in calories to fill you up (such as spinach with fresh grilled chicken), then a cup of frozen yogurt low in calories or some other reduced calorie version of a snack you like. Generally the higher calorie treats are probably for people who consume more calories, or maybe if you wanted to take a break and maintain one day so you could enjoy them. But in my opinion, one day off will lead to more inclinations towards days off and make weight loss much slower, but everyone is different and some people need those "days off," so to speak.
    If you feel like you NEED chocolate, try to fit a piece in here and there. If you don't, don't force yourself simply because you CAN, focus on other healthier foods you enjoy just as much!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Exercise gives you more calories you can consume. Also, as long as you are below maintenance, you will lose weight. If you are trying for a 3500 calorie per week deficit, you can use some of those for a treat, as long as you don't do it every week.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I don't know what your stats are, but I lost while eating 1800 per day. I ate cupcakes, candy, whatever I wanted, as long as it fit. Just be sure to weigh and measure everything you consume to be sure your logging accurately. ( without weighing and measuring, you can add on tons of extra calories without knowing it. What looks like one serving can actually be four servings sometimes. So be accurate and you'll be able to still enjoy treats while losing weight)
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Exercise. If you burn more calories you can eat more. Plus you feel better when you workout. :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    hgycta wrote: »
    I'm in maintenance at 1,600 calories a day, but I understand how difficult this must be for you. Focus on a lot of nutrient-rich dense foods lower in calories to fill you up (such as spinach with fresh grilled chicken), then a cup of frozen yogurt low in calories or some other reduced calorie version of a snack you like. Generally the higher calorie treats are probably for people who consume more calories, or maybe if you wanted to take a break and maintain one day so you could enjoy them. But in my opinion, one day off will lead to more inclinations towards days off and make weight loss much slower, but everyone is different and some people need those "days off," so to speak.
    If you feel like you NEED chocolate, try to fit a piece in here and there. If you don't, don't force yourself simply because you CAN, focus on other healthier foods you enjoy just as much!

Why not?....

I never "need" chocolate but I can eat it everyday so why not? It's yummy.

I think most who think their maintenance is low or feel they have to eat 1200 to lose are misinformed and need to get informed.

Most people are eating more than they think anyway as most don't use a food scale...

Those who do and log accurately and consistently are the one's who know you can fit it in and still lose weight.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    They cheat. Which means that they enjoy the treat and move on.
    If you however want to enjoy a treat while keeping yourself on 1200kcal, you can for a 500kcal treat:
    1. eat ~70kcal/day less for 7 days
    2. expend an extra 500kcal in form of exercise. Such as walking for a couple of hours.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2015
    Well first, pretty much nobody should be on 1200 calories. You're supposed to eat back exercise calories, or at least some of them. I've lost 80 pounds and I'm one of the 'fit it in your daily allowance' people and I've never eaten under 1650 calories (total). If I had to eat 1200 calories, I would have failed.

Then there's portion control. I pretty much never have an indulgent dessert (ok I did today, but will also be a bit over) or a bag of sweets or a full takeaway. I'll have 200 calories of ice cream, 140 calories of cookies, 100 calories of chocolate, one 100 calories serving of cereal... and the days I end up with 350 calories of sweets, I often go to bed hungry, but I guess it's my choice. I also eat a bit less in general so that I can fit a 400 calorie treat if I want and it's not a big deal if I go a little bit over once a week.

Bottom line is that no, I can't fit everything in my calories so easily, and I've had to give up on some things because they never fit (or I save them for days when I'm not really hungry instead of during PMS when I'm starving). But I don't need a 1200 calories piece of cheesecake... I can go to a local shop that has some 350 calories ones and have one once a month or something. I don't need a 2500 calories takeaway meal either - if I'm craving pizza, I'll have two slices (and cheese pizza, typically). If I want fries, I'll make my own, baked with a little bit of oil. If I want a burger, I make my own... I just probably won't have fries and burger the same day I'll have a 300 calories bowl of ice cream.

But yes, even if I eat at maintenance (2200 calories for me), I have to make sacrifices. I'll have a burger without bun and will skip the rice at dinner so I can have some ice cream, for example. It's about making choices and saving calories for what you really want. It gets easier once you find a few 200-300 calorie meals that really fill you up, or substitutions that actually work for your cravings, or ways to make something you crave for less calories etc...
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    I decided to eat more. 1200 sucks. So I upped to 1350 and also do very low carb as it massively curbs my appetite, is full of yummy foods, and keeps my blood sugar levels really stable.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    I agree with what others have said, consider re-evaluating your goal. 1200 is very low and unnecessary for 99% of people.

Check out this thread, really helpful for that sort of thing: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Also, remember that it's not the end of the world to go over your goal every once in a while. Like you said, you're in this for the long haul. Realistically you are not going to eat 1200 calories every single day. Special occasions happen, or sometimes you just really want a treat that you can't fit into your daily goals.

Think of it like this: One pound is 3500 calories. So if you're aiming to lose a pound a week, you should be at a 3500 calorie per week deficit. If you go over your goal by 500 calories one day that week, you're still at a 3000 weekly deficit... you'll still lose close to a pound. It's really not going to impact your goals in any huge way.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    edited May 2015
    OP, you say you've been around here for a couple of weeks and that you're eating 1200 calories. So people are (rightly) telling you that fitting stuff in is easier at a higher calorie level.

You've probably seen a few flam-y threads about eating so few calories. What you haven't seen is what the long-timers have: people who eat 1200 calories a day rarely last long. It's hard to keep up your motivation on such a low calorie intake.

People who are just starting out calorie counting (not necessarily for the first time; this also includes people who've counted calories successfully in the past and are "back to it") often tend to start with these very low calorie goals for a number of reasons. Though I think the biggest reason is that when we're "out of practice" counting calories, we tend to not have a very clear idea of how much fuel that is and how our bodies feel and perform on it, not to mention how it feels psychologically. Also, people who aren't in practice calorie counting (in my observation, anyway) also may not be in practice measuring portions, and may tend to actually be eating more than their target level based on a few simple but critical faulty assumptions.

But answering your question more directly, one way to "fit in" treats is by measuring portions very accurately, and vigilantly keeping portion sizes low. 10 peanut M&Ms is easier to "fit in" than a bag of them. But also, eating 170g of potato at dinner instead of 280g of potato leaves 85 calories on the table -- which is enough for a 4 oz glass of wine or almost two squares of my favorite chocolate. Etc. etc.

eta math
  • kelziemba
    kelziemba Posts: 48 Member
    Hi all, thanks for the replies. As for 1200 I'm going by what MFP calculated for 2 lbs a week loss. I am 38, female, 5'4", and started 2 weeks ago at 17 stones or 238 lbs. I don't usually excersise, though I started at the gym today and am taking it slowly building up my fitness. I know that once I weigh less I shouldn't expect to lose 2 lbs a week but for now I figured it was a realistic goal given me being obese.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I ate 1200 for a couple of weeks, then added my exercise, then reduced my goal weight loss

I lost the majority netting 1600

Now I eat 2100-2300 on maintenance

Plenty of room for splurges
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Even with all the low cal veggies I eat i'd be hungry at 1200! I accept a slower rate of loss in order to eat higher calories daily. Also you can "fit in everything" but it may be infrequently. I know that each weekend I'm going to have one meal of whatever I want, usually pizza and 1 dessert. I don't eat the leftovers the next day, its just 1 meal. Knowing that I have that meal makes it easier to stay within my goal during the week.
    Also even if you want to stay at 1200, There are some lower cal treats you can fit in. Today I had 65g lite icecream (130cal) and small cone(20cal) Yummy dessert just 150cal Also like others have said you may want to eat back exercise calories. Good Luck!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    I'm a little bit of a thing (5 feet tall even) and even with a 0.5 lb/week deficit my grand total of calories is 1260 since I have MFP set to Sedentary. I'm leaving it that way until I know I can consistently be more active and then I'll adjust accordingly.

I have a Fitbit to track my steps. Once I get in ~2000 steps, I start earning more calories because I'm more active than the level I set on MFP. I'm at ~5000 steps right now and have gotten an extra 134 calories. If I get in 10,000, I'll earn something like 400 extra calories for the day.

I fit in foods that are higher in calories by making sure I move more and going for a smaller portion of the food. If I go out for lunch/dinner, I may only eat half of my meal and save the rest for later. If you want treats, get individually wrapped chocolates - those are often ~70 calories per piece, and you can fit that in even if you just have 1200 calories to use.

Food for thought :)

~Lyssa