is eating 1900 cal a day and burning 1000 in the gym healthy

Options

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    If the calorie burn charts are anywhere close to right (presumably, they are or researchers would be trying to correct them) burning 1000 calories isn't that difficult. However, whatever a person burns, they should try to keep their calorie deficit between 500 to 1000.

You have a most optimistic view of the "researchers" (and the "calorie burn charts").

Short of me hooking myself up to an expensive machine, I'm kind of stuck with what other researchers have found. Since scientists are using these numbers to make predictions and to determine how much to feed participants in their studies, that have a greater need for accuracy than even those of us who feel the need to weigh food before logging it. If the numbers are very far off, it causes errors in their research. If my numbers are off, I gain a little extra weight. If their numbers are off, their life's work is put in question.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    tschlach wrote: »
    When I'm at the gym and on the elliptical I burn about 300-310 for 30 mins peer the machine. I put my wright in on the machine. When I get done and log it on MFP pours it in anywhere from 530-560. I always adjust it to what the machine does I've done. Kudos to you if you are burning that many calories. Just be sure to eat right.

The cardio machines often overestimate burn. Putting in my age, weight and gender into an elliptical and going for 60 minutes, the machine will tell me I burned about 600-650 calories. However, my HRM says about 400-ish.
  • kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why so many people have to say something negative when someone says the amount of calories they burn. They could totally be burning 1000 calories , just wish there was a more supportive atmosphere instead of doubting everything someone says and hateful advice ..

Anyways, I would try eating back a portion of the cals you burn because that is a very large number of calories burned! But congrats and keep up the hard work
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 169 lbs. My HRM tells me I'm burning anywhere from 1000-1250 cals on the elliptical for 130 minutes. I enter this value in MFP because MFP itself usually overestimates the burn (ends up adding several hundred more cals). The HRM is the most accurate measure I have...not sure what else I'd use (machine and MFP seem less reliable).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why so many people have to say something negative when someone says the amount of calories they burn. They could totally be burning 1000 calories , just wish there was a more supportive atmosphere instead of doubting everything someone says and hateful advice ..

Anyways, I would try eating back a portion of the cals you burn because that is a very large number of calories burned! But congrats and keep up the hard work

If something seems off, why not question it? If people are seeking help, they are going to get any help if we just clap and say "good job". Man I would be mad as heck if I thought I was burning 1000 and the situation was the other way around, I was eating back all my calories-not losing, and no one even questioned me.
  • danicristina2015
    danicristina2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    lauraweres wrote: »
    I'm a girl 5ft 3 , weighing 8st 10lb if I ran on the treadmill at 10.5mph for 1 hour my burn is around 650cals .. so actually it is possible , but you would be very tired burning that much , but then if I was a 6ft heavy guy running 1 hour that would be about right the more you weigh the more your body burns! But eating back all the calories you burn wouldn't make you lose weight , you might stay the same weight but become much fitter in yourself , however burn yourself out !

You can average 5.7 minute miles for an hour?

Wow... Impressive.

Some of the fastest miles ran by a woman are ran in that amount of time. A few have made it under 5 minutes for a mile.

I would check how fast you think you ran for an hour...
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    tschlach wrote: »
    When I'm at the gym and on the elliptical I burn about 300-310 for 30 mins peer the machine. I put my wright in on the machine. When I get done and log it on MFP pours it in anywhere from 530-560. I always adjust it to what the machine does I've done. Kudos to you if you are burning that many calories. Just be sure to eat right.

The cardio machines often overestimate burn. Putting in my age, weight and gender into an elliptical and going for 60 minutes, the machine will tell me I burned about 600-650 calories. However, my HRM says about 400-ish.

I set the custom on th treadmill as well, and it says I burn 410 kcal doing 45 mins 8.5mph on 2-3 incline. I think that's pretty accurate
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Without confirming they are burning so much how are they supposed to know how much to eat back?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Wilbo1234 wrote: »
    Is eating 1900 cal a day and burning 1000 in the gym healthy

If those were your actual numbers, your body would crash, hard, and soon.

If you're doing this and not crashing - your numbers are wrong.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited May 2015
    Options

It *is* possible to burn 1000 calories. The problem is most people on MFP thinking they're doing that, aren't. Many of them aren't even close - it is not uncommon to see 2x and 3x over-estimates on here.

I fail to see how helping someone run on bad numbers is more helpful than pointing out an error...

• brianpperkins
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

A 5'6, 175, 35 year old male has a RMR over 2000 calories .... so 1900 consumed - 1000 burned at the gym - at least 2000 RMR = 1,000 negative net caloric intake per day.

Based on that, questioning the numbers provided is the only logical thing to do.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Why not just answer his question on the either or basis of the burn being inaccurate and then on the basis of it being correct? That way you can query his claim, but also allow for the fact he could be correct. If you are prepared to put the time in, then burning 1000 is relatively straightforward.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Why not just answer his question on the either or basis of the burn being inaccurate and then on the basis of it being correct? That way you can query his claim, but also allow for the fact he could be correct.

That's been done, more than once.

If you are prepared to put the time in, then burning 1000 is relatively straightforward.

Sure, on its own.

But doing so while netting 900 calories is not.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Why not just answer his question on the either or basis of the burn being inaccurate and then on the basis of it being correct? That way you can query his claim, but also allow for the fact he could be correct. If you are prepared to put the time in, then burning 1000 is relatively straightforward.

The answers based on the assumption his numbers are correct are numerous. Until he returns and provides feedback there is no way to ascertain if he is right or wrong, and if wrong what the likely burn number is for his situation.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Not really sure that's true. I did it for ~7 months and was fine except I lost a bunch of weight.
  • brianpperkins
    edited May 2015
    Options
    segovm wrote: »

Not really sure that's true. I did it for ~7 months and was fine except I lost a bunch of weight.

With 54 pounds to lose per his profile ... a -1,000 net caloric intake is unhealthy and unsustainable. It is disorder territory.

Looking at a few days of your diary from January ... very different net intake level.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options

With 54 pounds to lose per his profile ... a -1,000 net caloric intake is unhealthy and unsustainable. It is disorder territory.

Looking at a few days of your diary from January ... very different net intake level.

That's because I wasn't loosing weight in January. I maintain between 3500-4000 calories a day.

When I was loosing weight last year I normally ate around 1700-2300 a day and burned as much or more. Not sure I had a disorder, just wanted to get the weight off and once it was off fell into easy maintenance.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

The answers based on the assumption his numbers are correct are numerous. Until he returns and provides feedback there is no way to ascertain if he is right or wrong, and if wrong what the likely burn number is for his situation.

Yes, sorry it was mainly to the ones going on about questioning said person. Just back fom gym so was grazing through the moans.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

That's because I wasn't loosing weight in January. I maintain between 3500-4000 calories a day.

When I was loosing weight last year I normally ate around 1700-2300 a day and burned as much or more. Not sure I had a disorder, just wanted to get the weight off and once it was off fell into easy maintenance.

Eating under 2000, factoring in resting metabolic rate, then burning 1000 plus through exercise is unhealthy, unsustainable, and unwise.