calories in fruit and veg???

Options
Hi all, im new to this, only been using MFP for a week now. However, i was amazed at why fruits and veg counted towards calories because when I did weight watchers in the past i was able to eat as much fruit and veg and they didn't count towards my daily points so any fruit and veg was zero points value.
I find it strange that it adds up when you eat veges as snacks and as part of a smoothie or dinner.

Replies

• skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    They add up, and quickly too!!!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If fruit didn't have calories I'd eat a lot more of them.
    They have calories though, they get digested and used for energy for your body. That's why you should count them.
  • Calorie_Counting_K
    Calorie_Counting_K Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes,exactly surely they cant be that calorific!!?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers gives you a lower calorie goal, and hopes that people will fill up on fruits and vegetables, so in a way some of those calories are accounted for in the program.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Most vegetables, except starchy ones, don't have many calories but fruits do. Fruits are very good for you but you cannot have as much as you want. You have to temember that WW's system of points is very different than counting actual calories.
  • linmeece
    linmeece Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    losing weight is a simple science, calories in versus calories out. Yes, WW did give you fruit as zero points. That is their program though, they focus on proteins/fiber/carbs more than anything else. MFP focuses not only on calories but breaks up your food by carbs, sugars, proteins, sodium,etc. Fact is fruits have high sugars and relatively low calories. So to get an exact overview on your daily intake, it counts. Raise your daily goal up by a 200-300 calories to accommodate fruits and veggies if you wish. But, I like this program better overall. Especially seeing all the sugar that I was eating. Hope this helps!
  • Calorie_Counting_K
    Options
    No that makes alot of sense guys, thanks :) I have been accounting for all fruit and veg thats been eaten. Thanks all!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Veggies and fruits have plenty of calories. One large salad for me, with no dressing, contains 100 calories. Bananas contain more than 100 PER PIECE. A large, ripe pomegranate contains around 400 calories. They aren't as low in calories as you might think! :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kajalpoit wrote: »

I had a quarter of a honeydew melon today. Almost 200 calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Oh yeah. I ended up with a 140-calorie banana yesterday!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Veggies and fruits have plenty of calories. One large salad for me, with no dressing, contains 100 calories. Bananas contain more than 100 PER PIECE. A large, ripe pomegranate contains around 400 calories. They aren't as low in calories as you might think! :)

I didn't know pomegranate was so high. Dang.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Bananas contain 100 calories per piece of what?

• arditarose
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Bah! I'm so anti banana. That's a few ounces of ground turkey right there.
  • Calorie_Counting_K
    Options
    Crazy huh lol
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yup, it made me sad. :'( Nearly 70 calories per 100 grams, if I recall correctly, and most of my pomegranates clocked in at around 500 grams after removing the skin. Phooey :(
  • arditarose
    Options

Yup, it made me sad. :'( Nearly 70 calories per 100 grams, if I recall correctly, and most of my pomegranates clocked in at around 500 grams after removing the skin. Phooey :(

Wait, so you weighed just the little seeds right?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Bah! I'm so anti banana. That's a few ounces of ground turkey right there.
    I chop them up and freeze them for protein shakes so I can just divvy out a meager 50g worth at a time.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Sorry, I meant per (largeish, obviously depends on weight) banana. It just looked weird writing "banana... per banana"... :p
  • Calorie_Counting_K
    Options
    How are you all getting along with MFP? Where are you guys all from?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Sorry, I meant per (largeish, obviously depends on weight) banana. It just looked weird writing "banana... per banana"... :p

Ahh, ok. I rarely eat them because of this.