Need Paleo Cake Ideas

Options
Lukyanenko
Lukyanenko Posts: 65 Member
So, I've been asked to make a cake for the wedding, only problem the bride and groom are Paleo. They suggested a recipe, but after tasting it, I'm...not impressed.

So, do anyone have any good cakes, that does not contain chestnut flour (because that tasted foul)?

Replies

• Lukyanenko
    Options
    Assuming they aren't Paleo due to food allergies or whatever, just bake a normal cake but tell them it's Paleo.

:s
    That would be a dickish move to do to people I like.

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Here's a website. I just googled "paleo cake" and there were tons of recipe options!
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Maybe suggest they have a regular cake and then some other paleo desserts like brownies or cookies?
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    check out the websites: paleo grubs, paleomg. i use coconut flour for all my baked goods; a lot of others use almond flour.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't make the icing with avocados!! It tastes horrible after sitting out for more than like 30 minutes. You can make a really great tasting icing with coconut cream. There are incredible flourless chocolate cake recipes out there, if that is something they'd be into. Almond flour is great to bake with. coconut flour is good too, but better mixed with other flours, as some find the texture to be too course. You can find some paleo cookbooks at your public library. 'Practical Paleo' is a really good one. For blogs: Elena's Pantry is full of dessert recipes.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Did the bride and groom suggest the recipe because they like it? If so, I'd ignore how hideous it tastes and just make the cake. Let them deal with the guests thinking it's disgusting. If they suggested the recipe as an example of a recipe invite them in to try the recipe as you baked it. Let them decide if it's what they want once they taste it

Better yet, call them in in general and have them try the cake as you baked it just as a confirmation that it's what they want. Once they okay it, it's on them if it tastes disgusting. You just need to bake it.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Could you suggest a tiered cake with a paleo layer and a non-paleo layer. Then you can just make the not particularly nice tasting one as a smaller layer. I know which one will get eaten up first
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    annekka wrote: »
    Did the bride and groom suggest the recipe because they like it? If so, I'd ignore how hideous it tastes and just make the cake. Let them deal with the guests thinking it's disgusting. If they suggested the recipe as an example of a recipe invite them in to try the recipe as you baked it. Let them decide if it's what they want once they taste it

Better yet, call them in in general and have them try the cake as you baked it just as a confirmation that it's what they want. Once they okay it, it's on them if it tastes disgusting. You just need to bake it.

I agree with this. Make whatever cake they want, or politely decline to make it and let them find someone else to do it. It's their wedding.
  • SillyBus
    SillyBus Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I made a cake for my brothers wedding and it went over very well and I got a lot of compliments on it.

It was a tiered cake where one cake was just sitting on top of the other. The cake had coconut four in it so it tasted slightly of coconut, strawberry filling (you could use a different fruit for the filling), and the icing was mostly coconut oil. Problem was that coconut oil likes to melt so I had unsweetened coconut to sprinkle/pack on the top and sides it to cover up the icing so the cake wouldn't show through. I made a trial and didn't have an issue of the cake showing through the icing but the day of it did so the coconut was my back up plan.

w9h9zha57q84.jpg

sd0arn4m1vr1.jpg
  • Fitness4ev
    Fitness4ev Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil and Coconut Flour are great for baking, but I've often found the blends of a couple different flours come out great, too. If you look at any all-purpose Gluten Free Flour, it's a combination of a couple types. Tho, this recipe from Silly Bus looks awesome!!!!

Also, check out my friend's Blog. She's a PALEO CHEF!
    http://www.wortheverychew.com/?cat=175
  • MsHulkMN
    MsHulkMN Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    you are going to think i'm nuts, but I use box cake mix and diet pop. it's still moist therefore it lasts longer and just as sweet but minus a LOT of calories ;) I use dark pop for dark cakes and light pop for yellow/white cake mixes. :)
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Assuming they aren't Paleo due to food allergies or whatever, just bake a normal cake but tell them it's Paleo.

This is a really dangerous thing to do. It reminds me of the guy who was head cook for a time at the historic site where we volunteer. He didn't believe in food allergies. He would put nuts in things, without telling anyone, because he liked the flavor/texture the nuts added to his recipes, and nuts were "historically accurate" ingredients.

He could have killed someone. When they found out, he wasn't allowed to cook for them anymore.

Yeah, a lot of paleo recipes are almond-based, but to present something with a specific label, and lie about it, well... it's irresponsible at the least. (Especially if someone were to see the label and eat the cake, someone with a life-threatening gluten allergy, who was able to eat almonds, just not wheat. Some unsuspecting wedding guest... collateral damage. I know people whose gluten sensitivity is life-threatening. They trust their friends, when we label something as safe for them to eat. Well, let's say they trust *some* of their friends, the ones who take their allergies seriously, and haven't made them ill when they've shared a meal.)
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    SillyBus wrote: »
    I made a cake for my brothers wedding and it went over very well and I got a lot of compliments on it.

It was a tiered cake where one cake was just sitting on top of the other. The cake had coconut four in it so it tasted slightly of coconut, strawberry filling (you could use a different fruit for the filling), and the icing was mostly coconut oil. Problem was that coconut oil likes to melt so I had unsweetened coconut to sprinkle/pack on the top and sides it to cover up the icing so the cake wouldn't show through. I made a trial and didn't have an issue of the cake showing through the icing but the day of it did so the coconut was my back up plan.

SilliBus, that recipe sounds delicious. It could be made safe for nut-free people by substituting coconut milk for the almond milk, BTW.

(I have a friend who's allergic to coconut, so she can't eat a lot of the allergy-friendly baked goods, imagine it! I feel very sorry for her, though she says she's having some success making baked goods where plantains provide the starchy ingredient.)
  • Lukyanenko
    Options

Thank you so much!

• Lukyanenko
    Options

SilliBus, that recipe sounds delicious. It could be made safe for nut-free people by substituting coconut milk for the almond milk, BTW.

(I have a friend who's allergic to coconut, so she can't eat a lot of the allergy-friendly baked goods, imagine it! I feel very sorry for her, though she says she's having some success making baked goods where plantains provide the starchy ingredient.)

That's a great idea!

• Lukyanenko
    Options
    Fitness4ev wrote: »
    Coconut Oil and Coconut Flour are great for baking, but I've often found the blends of a couple different flours come out great, too. If you look at any all-purpose Gluten Free Flour, it's a combination of a couple types. Tho, this recipe from Silly Bus looks awesome!!!!

Also, check out my friend's Blog. She's a PALEO CHEF!
    http://www.wortheverychew.com/?cat=175

Thank You! Will check out the blog.

• Lukyanenko
    Options
    alfiedn wrote: »
    Here's a website. I just googled "paleo cake" and there were tons of recipe options!

Yeah, I tried google and was overwhelmed by all the different flours and wanted to see if there was anyone who had some go to recipes.
  • Lukyanenko
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't make the icing with avocados!! It tastes horrible after sitting out for more than like 30 minutes. You can make a really great tasting icing with coconut cream. There are incredible flourless chocolate cake recipes out there, if that is something they'd be into. Almond flour is great to bake with. coconut flour is good too, but better mixed with other flours, as some find the texture to be too course. You can find some paleo cookbooks at your public library. 'Practical Paleo' is a really good one. For blogs: Elena's Pantry is full of dessert recipes.

Thank you for the advice!