why am I gaining weight??

Options

Replies

• Barbosas77
    Barbosas77 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You guys are right...I just go by this trainer guy told me to do and put as a workout. He said I burn 600 calories with 60 min of weight training. I knew something was off. Plus I should be putting in my cheats meals. So I don't want to sound like an idiot but I'm new at all this...can someone explain what deficit is?
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and you really should log your cheat day. You're allowed to have a cheat day only if you average out below your weekly calorie allowance. I can easily consume 4-5000 calories in a day, and while I don't think you can, it does put a pretty big impact on your week.

I also second that you're probably not burning 600 calories lifting weights. Try not eating back any calories for a week if all you're doing is weight lifting.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Barbosas77 wrote: »
    You guys are right...I just go by this trainer guy told me to do and put as a workout. He said I burn 600 calories with 60 min of weight training. I knew something was off. Plus I should be putting in my cheats meals. So I don't want to sound like an idiot but I'm new at all this...can someone explain what deficit is?

Trainer dude is wrong.

Yes, log your cheat meals. Log everything. Information is power.

And a deficit is the amount under your maintenance calories that you eat. It takes a 3500-calorie deficit to lose 1 pound in a week. So let's say you burn 1800 calories per day and eat 1300 per day, that's a difference (or deficit) of 500 calories per day. 500x7=3500=1lb/week.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Saying this from a caring place....

If you are gaining weight, you are eating more calories than you're burning. It is almost always that simple. While you may retain water from lifting weight temporarily, it's not going to disguise true weight loss for more than a couple of days. If you haven't lost pounds, and in fact have gained some, in 4 weeks then you aren't eating at a deficit.

Cheat days are a really bad idea, especially if you aren't logging them. There was a great article on cheat days in the MFP blog a few weeks ago. If your calorie deficit is necessarily small (because you're small and/or are already close to a healthy weight) it is really, really easy to blow your deficit for the whole week on one cheat day. If you really feel you need a cheat day each week, you're probably restricting yourself too much the rest of the week. If your lifestyle is such that you always eat more on Saturdays then you'll need to log what you're eating on Saturdays to verify that you're really not overdoing it.

Lifting weights is a great idea and I'm glad you're doing it. However, you will lose weight more slowly as a result. In addition, there's no way that lifting weights burns 600 calories. It just doesn't work that way. You're resting between sets, if you're doing it properly, and it's not a cardio workout. MFP's calculations for weight lifting is crazy high. If I log any calories at all from my one hour lifting sessions, I log 90 and that's it.

It sounds like you're measuring yourself as well as weighing and that's smart. Tighten up your food logging and you should start to see results.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your diary? I noticed some days aren't logged - and things like an ounce of steak for dinner - that is a really tiny amount. Are you using a food scale, logging everything you eat, using accurate entries, using the recipe builder for items you cook yourself? If you're gaining you're probably eating too much. Work on the accuracy of your logging and you'll likely see better results.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

deficit = calorie deficit. If person X needs 2500 calories to maintain their weight and subtracts 500 calories from that their daily intake is then 2000 calories, which is a 500 calorie deficit. They are burning more than they take in - Calories in VS Calories Out (CICO), which puts them in a calorie deficit.

I hope that makes sense...
  • ndj1979
    Options

deficit = calorie deficit. If person X needs 2500 calories to maintain their weight and subtracts 500 calories from that their daily intake is then 2000 calories, which is a 500 calorie deficit. They are burning more than they take in - Calories in VS Calories Out (CICO), which puts them in a calorie deficit.

I hope that makes sense...
  • Barbosas77
    Barbosas77 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale and I have a polar fit watch that is linked to my heart rate and I start it when I start and when I'm done it says I burn max 400 in 60. So is my watch wrong?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have a food scale and I have a polar fit watch that is linked to my heart rate and I start it when I start and when I'm done it says I burn max 400 in 60. So is my watch wrong?

I don't think those watches are accurate for weight training....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

trainer guy needs fired.

Yes add in "cheat meals".

Deficit was explain...but basically it's the amount of calories below maintenance (where you neither gain or lose) so if you have a 250 calorie deficit daily it works out to about 1/2lb a week...500 deficit a day...1lb a week.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 127lbs and most calculators estimate my 45 minutes of heavy lifting at 136. I only log half of that because I just don't trust it but I do like to have a bit more wiggle room since I am more hungry on those days.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP here is what I suggest you do ...

1. enter your stats into MFP and set it for whatever you goal weight loss is (.5 pound per week loss, one pound, etc)
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you
    3. Log everything you eat, including cheat meals
    4. get a food scale and weigh log everything
    5. Do not eat back any of your weight training calories burned. You may want to list your activity as sedentary so it gives you a little bit more calories to eat.
    6. set your MFP macros to 35% protein/35% carbs/30% fats
    7. I would suggest looking into a structured lifting program like strong lifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for woman, and follow said program
    8. repeat until you get desired results.
  • winram11
    winram11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't ever do cheat days. Log everything. If anything, indulge yourself for a meal or even a dish.

Losing weight or gaining muscle is a lifestyle change. It's not something you can turn on and off for a day. I can have a "cheat" meal that can set me back for days on a weight loss goal.

Also to the points elsewhere in this thread, don't ever log anything other than cardio as weight loss, or better yet, never account for ANY exercise as calories you can eat back. I've found it's far far better to just eat 1500 calories (for example, just a number I'm throwing out there) rather than assume I can then eat 2500 calories cause I exercised 1000 calories today. It's very hard to judge how much one is truly burning by exercising anyway, either cardio or weights.

Eat a fixed number of calories per day/week, and exercise with cardio and weight training thrown in and never eat back your exercise calories, and you'll maintain the deficit and have a more regular loss pattern.
  • coraborealis80
    coraborealis80 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    60 minutes of strength training should only be burning 120-240 calories, not 600 as you show on your diary. It takes a lot of work (no resting, constant moving at a pretty high intensity) to burn 10 calories/minute.
    THIS

I ignore the calories it gives me from exercise per my doctor's recommendations. She stated right from the first that they're untrustworthy.

• tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    gb4f2wtylacg.png

I'll add a visual representation of deficit. In the picture I had two "cheat days", but my average calorie consumption over the last 6 days was around ~1660. I still expect to lose weight, this week, but if one of my cheat days was 1000 calories more, then my average would be around 1827, which is around the point where I don't lose.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

It depends on what you are doing between sets. When I started out, I weighed around 190 lbs. I would run/walk a mile on the treadmill, then lift in sets of 8-10, but walk at 3.5 mph in between every set, instead of just standing/sitting around. The most calories I ever logged on my Polar FT7 was 536 in 48 minutes.

Pulled the details from my diary - calorie estimate is probably still a little high, but I was moving the entire time:

1st mile 14:11 (.1mi walking 3.5mph / .5mi running 4.5mph / .1mi walking 3.5mph / .3mi running 4.5mph). 2nd mile 16:46 in between sets 3.5mph, ran 4.5mph last .3mi.

Strength Training

Sets

Reps/Set

Weight/Set

Vertical Front Lift

Shoulder Press

Shoulder Press

Shoulder Press

Bench (Chest) Press, Machine

Bench (Chest) Press, Machine

Leg Extension

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

So you're that quick to turn around and trust a bunch of strangers on the internet? I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm just saying the principal of this is you post your message . . . people say do this, don't do that [can't you read the sign] lol . . . anyways and you're believing them. Do research, accredited research, find legitimate reading material . . . I know a lot of the people who posted know their stuff but if you're new how do you know?

You need to figure out what works for you :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

1. enter your stats into MFP and set it for whatever you goal weight loss is (.5 pound per week loss, one pound, etc)
    5. Do not eat back any of your weight training calories burned. You may want to list your activity as sedentary so it gives you a little bit more calories to eat.
    7. I would suggest looking into a structured lifting program like strong lifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for woman, and follow said program

For number 5 I think you mean she should put light active, not sedentary. those macros wont matter that much as long as she gets enough protein, may only need 25%. and 40-45% carbs. Or she could just use MFP defaults as a min for both fat and protein and max on carbs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

So you're that quick to turn around and trust a bunch of strangers on the internet? I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm just saying the principal of this is you post your message . . . people say do this, don't do that [can't you read the sign] lol . . . anyways and you're believing them. Do research, accredited research, find legitimate reading material . . . I know a lot of the people who posted know their stuff but if you're new how do you know?

You need to figure out what works for you :)

not sure what to say to this...

first you slap the OP for agreeing with us, then you agree with us but then tell the OP to do her own digging and find out for herself what you and she are agreeing with....

this is like an enigma wrapped in a mystery.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

For number 5 I think you mean she should put light active, not sedentary. those macros wont matter that much as long as she gets enough protein, may only need 25%. and 40-45% carbs. Or she could just use MFP defaults as a min for both fat and protein and max on carbs.

yes, I use TDEE method so I am not really sure what the difference is between sedentary and lightly active...my main point is that she not enter in calories burned from strength training, but she may want to eat more than 1300 if she is going to be lifting.

On the macros, I thought about giving it in grams, but I did not want to confuse her so I figured the percents are easier and should get her to where she needs to be...