IIFYM

Options
i am starting IIFYM today, anyone have a simple plan for this? I am using the MFP app on my phone and changed my settings appropriately.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by a simple plan?

• mommy2girls1
    mommy2girls1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Is there a place to help me find recipes? Or the macros calculated for certain foods? This is very new to me, I'm afraid I'll mess this up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the IIFYM is just a calculator that is capitalizing on the concept. There is no one size fits all macro ratio and that calculator uses the TDEE method.

Conceptually, IIFYM was meant for people to establish reasonable macro goals...it was born out of the fitness industry, not the diet industry, so one's optimal macros would be as per their fitness goals. Basically one's macros would be set for optimal or close to optimal performance. From there, you just eat food within those macro goals and calorie goals. There is no demonization of food or food groups...another word for it is "flexible" dieting. Basically, "hey...can I have some ice cream?"....IIFYM.

To that end, the original intent has also been pretty well bastardized and despite what a lot of people think, IIFYM doesn't mean just eat whatever and fill you day with "junk". If one has established a solid macro ratio, they'd be hard pressed to fill their days with junk. Most people who follow this concept eat a lot of healthy, nutritious foods...we're just not scared of a little desert.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    all you need to do is hit your protein/fat/carb minimums and fill in the rest from there. There are no "recipes" you eat what fits into your macros, hence, IIFYM....

However, you should still eat nutrient dense foods, and then mix in treats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Is there a place to help me find recipes? Or the macros calculated for certain foods? This is very new to me, I'm afraid I'll mess this up.

You just eat food in portions that are appropriate for your calorie goals and macro goals. You can track everything on MFP...when you enter food into your diary it is going to tell you how many grams of protein, fat, and carbs are in stuff. From there, you adjust your diet accordingly.

You can't really mess anything up...there's nothing to mess up. Trying to be bang on is an exercise in futility but with a little practice you can start balancing out your diet and getting close.

Keep in mind also that IIFYM isn't some kind of super natural weightloss diet. It's just a concept that avoids demonization of food. Ultimately your calorie intake is going to dictate your weight.
  • mommy2girls1
    Options
    Ok, I eat pretty clean, no sugar or flour, so I think this will be easier than I originally thought. Just need to focus on it a little more.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Ok, I eat pretty clean, no sugar or flour, so I think this will be easier than I originally thought. Just need to focus on it a little more.

Is there a reason you are eliminating entire food groups?
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Is "sugar" a food group? LOL!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    acollis1 wrote: »
    Is "sugar" a food group? LOL!
    Since it's in fruit, vegetables, dairy....I would say so.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals the day before, makes it alot easier to hit your macros because it's planned out.. That way you could also factor in desert or a snack if you wanted .. Flexible dieting is the best :smile:
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    it will take a bit of practice, but worth it
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eat. Under your calories. Consider protein.
  • mommy2girls1
    Options
    I do honey for sweetener, I guess that is considered sugar. I took out cookies, cake etc.
  • mommy2girls1
    Options
    I am having a hard time staying under my fat allowance each day. Once I have my peanut or almond butter with my apple for a snack, and any kind of cheese, I am done for the day, it seems. I use almond milk with my coffee, maybe I should go back to fat free milk?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You just eat food in portions that are appropriate for your calorie goals and macro goals. You can track everything on MFP...when you enter food into your diary it is going to tell you how many grams of protein, fat, and carbs are in stuff. From there, you adjust your diet accordingly.

You can't really mess anything up...there's nothing to mess up. Trying to be bang on is an exercise in futility but with a little practice you can start balancing out your diet and getting close.

Keep in mind also that IIFYM isn't some kind of super natural weightloss diet. It's just a concept that avoids demonization of food. Ultimately your calorie intake is going to dictate your weight.

Have a feeling the part in bold is going to fly right over OP's head so I'm bolding it...

OP you mentioned that you eliminated sugar and flour - do you have a medical reason to be restricting these foods?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time staying under my fat allowance each day. Once I have my peanut or almond butter with my apple for a snack, and any kind of cheese, I am done for the day, it seems. I use almond milk with my coffee, maybe I should go back to fat free milk?

Under IIFYM, fat is a minimum, not a maximum. You shouldn't be trying to stay under it.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Under IIFYM, fat is a minimum, not a maximum. You shouldn't be trying to stay under it.

you're supposed to stay within your macro goals +/- 5 using IIFYM.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    What is your fat set at if you are going over it so quickly?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Maybe your fat percentage is too low for your particular needs. The question is why you picked the particular numbers you did and what you are low on if you are high on fat. Carb vs. fat percentage in particular is largely a matter of personal preference/how it affects you.