Can I do cardio and weight lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    May I ask why you have chosen SL? You do not plan to really follow the program for what it is designed for, so why did you chose it? You say you are not interested in increasing strength. There is no point in a 5x5 program that does not challenge you where strength is concerned, there is no point in a 5x5 program when strength is not among your goals and there is no point in a progressive lifting program when increasing weight is not the plan. I get the feeling you found something you loved and worked for you and then read a lot here about how SL is amazing, and you thought you are missing on somethign big that is essential. And so are trying to add this to your workout, without removing anything else, because the other things are the ones you love. Why not stick with what you like for now? Or try a different strenght training program, that can fit in your routine?
    If you talk with my pilates instructor, she will tell you pilates is the most essential thing in the word, and will explain in detail why for her free weights do more damage than good, do not correct posture, do not train the right muscles etc. She is very passionate about it (and has an amazing body) and could convince you to add pilates in your routine in no time ;) If you now talk to my friend who is a swimmer, she will tell you how swimming is the most essential thing to do, will be gentle on your joints, increase cardio capacity, is a full body workout and will help you build awesome abs. And so on... She will have you convinced that unless you swim, you are missing the most important workout ever. And I bet you can find people in all sports passionate about their routine. But, you cannot do everything at the same time. Figure out what you like, what fits your goals, and work with this. Or you will burn out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    Sometimes I think its physcological with me too. I've spent my whole life not doing any exercise prior to Jan 2015 that if I miss a day I feel crap! Hence why doing the SL 5x5 3 times a week makes me feel "oh my goodness, how can I only work out 3x a week"....

Of course I enjoy working out, both weights and cardio but as you can see I feel like I have to sandwich everything in and it doesn't help that I'm a "Bride to be" (in August) which puts more pressure on me to do MORE!!!

There is no question if you've been going ham and trying to add more and feel bad for missing a SINGLE day- then you've got a physcological issue. When I switched from 4/5 days a week to a flat 3 days a week lifting- it felt odd- I was very uncomfortable for about 3-4 weeks.

But I knew my program was bigger than my single day discomfort. So I got over it- and did my program. I would highly recommend restructuring and learning to really rest on your rest days.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    May I ask why you have chosen SL? You do not plan to really follow the program for what it is designed for, so why did you chose it? You say you are not interested in increasing strength. There is no point in a 5x5 program that does not challenge you where strength is concerned, there is no point in a 5x5 program when strength is not among your goals and there is no point in a progressive lifting program when increasing weight is not the plan. I get the feeling you found something you loved and worked for you and then read a lot here about how SL is amazing, and you thought you are missing on somethign big that is essential. And so are trying to add this to your workout, without removing anything else, because the other things are the ones you love. Why not stick with what you like for now? Or try a different strenght training program, that can fit in your routine?
    If you talk with my pilates instructor, she will tell you pilates is the most essential thing in the word, and will explain in detail why for her free weights do more damage than good, do not correct posture, do not train the right muscles etc. She is very passionate about it (and has an amazing body) and could convince you to add pilates in your routine in no time ;) If you now talk to my friend who is a swimmer, she will tell you how swimming is the most essential thing to do, will be gentle on your joints, increase cardio capacity, is a full body workout and will help you build awesome abs. And so on... She will have you convinced that unless you swim, you are missing the most important workout ever. And I bet you can find people in all sports passionate about their routine. But, you cannot do everything at the same time. Figure out what you like, what fits your goals, and work with this. Or you will burn out.

I am wondering the same. There are a lot of other heavy lifting programs out there to choose from. Why did you choose SL5x5? If you don't want to add weight at the rate that it has you add weight, choose a program that is set up differently. Greyskull LP has you add 2.5/5 pounds instead of 5/10 pounds each time. AllPro's has you at the same weight, just adding reps, for 5 week cycles. Wendler 5/3/1 beginner has you work quite a bit below your max most of the time. In fact, if you look at the blackironbeast.com calculator for 5/3/1 you can see that there are a couple of 2 day options that you can get your numbers for pretty quickly. Maybe a better option for you would be a 2 day lifting program plus one of your bodypump or Insanity classes and then lighter cardio around those.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I've been following the SL 5x5 plan (although not 100%) but at the weekend I purchased my own barbell/weights so I can do this at home in the evening as I feel better doing it at home than in the gym.

If I do the weights on the evening of Mon/Wed/Fri, can I still do cardio in between?

Please note though, I'm NOT doing Stronglifts to get strong fast, I'm quite happy at the weight I'm at now (which is not to taxing for me personally) and will probably increase weights 2-4 weeks as opposed to every workout....I'm doing SL's because I enjoy it and don;t feel the need to increase weights all the time!

I'm losing fat by sticking to a calorie deficit and have actually just started using MFP today as I normally follow weightwatchers but thought I'd try MFP.

So my workout routine would look like this:

Monday lunch: Cardio
    Monday evening: Stronglifts along with some accessory workouts like mountain crawlers, ab crunches, lunges
    Tuesday lunch: Bodypump Class
    Wednesday: Cardio (or a rest day)
    Wednesday evening; Stronglifts along with some accessory workouts like mountain crawlers, ab crunches, lunges
    Thursday lunch: Insanity Class
    Friday lunch: Cardio
    Friday evening: Stronglifts along with some accessory workouts like mountain crawlers, ab crunches, lunges

My SL's weights for Barbell Row, Deadlifts, Overhead, Benchpress AND squats is 15kg which I know is low to some people but I am still in the "learning form" stage too so wouldn't go heavier until I'm comfortable.

Thanks, Kel

H, E, double toothpick yes can you do SL and Cardio. I'd dump the Bodypump Class though as you are already doing M/W/F SL. Sub out bodypump for cardio only. Bike is a nice, non weight bearing way to get cardio while also doing weights.

Come to think of it, gee - my structured training plan from a professional cycling coach for cyclists includes M/W/F weights and 5-6 days of on the bike cardio to boot. Hence, my H, E, double toothpick comment that yes, one can do both. It all depends on your goals, what you are training for, how much you want to eat, how much you want to rest, etc...

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    @Stage14.... Thanks for your reply. Bodypump and Insanity are on a Tuesday and Thursday, therefore could I do

Mon: SL in the evening
    Tuesday: Bodypump
    Wednesday: Rest Day
    Thursday: Insanity
    Friday: SL in the evening
    So I'd be reducing my SL's by 1!

or should I just stop doing Stronglifts and find a weight programme that isn't so intense?

This would still have you doing multiple days of full body intense muscle work in a row, which is what you want to avoid.

Honestly, I agree with the others who are questioning why you are doing SL at this point? You don't intend to follow the program as it is designed and you're doing other types of strength training already. Can you tell us what you are specifically hoping that SL will do for you so that we can maybe recommend some alternatives that could work better?
  • leop123
    leop123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was told by personal trainer, who is my friend as well ALWAYS do Cardio before weight lifting to warm up your body and get your heart pumping
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Not too much at all, but you need a rest day.

And I've read weights then cardio. You burn more calories this way.
  • jemhh
    Options
    leop123 wrote: »
    I was told by personal trainer, who is my friend as well ALWAYS do Cardio before weight lifting to warm up your body and get your heart pumping

There is a difference between a full cardio session and using some sort of cardio as a warmup. I walk on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes. Technically speaking, walking is a cardio exercise. But I don't consider it to be a cardio session. I reserve that description for the days when walking or running is my actuall full exercise session.
  • jemhh
    Options

There is a difference between a full cardio session and using some sort of cardio as a warmup. I walk on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes. Technically speaking, walking is a cardio exercise. But I don't consider it to be a cardio session. I reserve that description for the days when walking or running is my actuall full exercise session.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    1) I don't lift heavy and have no intension to lift 20kg,30kg,40kg etc over the next few months

Why not lift heavy? I wouldn’t bother with the weight lifting if you’re not going to actually do it to accomplish anything but calling it a workout. It isn’t a workout, but rather time with a bar. You should go as heavy as you can with good form.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Agreed - I like to use the rowing machine. Back/arms/legs/lungs all warmed up nicely before lifting. However its not a "session" or even busting a gut, it is purely for warm up purposes.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i do both, but i dont use the free weights, i use the machines, and my primary focus is on cardio.

do what works for you and what meets your needs now. You can change it later. As I get closer to my goal weight, I will start focusing more on body recomp and starting working with the 'real' weights more ;)
  • TheCredibleHuIk
    TheCredibleHuIk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can do both. I personally do cardio on my off days of weight training.

If you're going to do cardio on weight training days, do it after your lifting session.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

nope.

unless you're an endurance athlete where cardio/endurance training is the focus.

warm up =/= cardio.

its' a warm up- and it's only like 5-10 minutes.

cardio should come after lifting.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think its physcological with me too. I've spent my whole life not doing any exercise prior to Jan 2015 that if I miss a day I feel crap! Hence why doing the SL 5x5 3 times a week makes me feel "oh my goodness, how can I only work out 3x a week"....

This.

If you exercising makes you feel good, then do it. There is nothing wrong with doing some form of exercise every day.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I find working out very addicting. After working out (weights or cardio) I feel great the rest of the day. When I don't get to the gym, I feel like I've missed a critical part of my day. I keep it to about an hour, but it's my hour to focus on ME and pushing MYSELF. Call it selfish, but it is what it is. The other 23 hours a day life takes over (as it should - family, work, etc.). So, my current routine is a 4-day split at the gym, 2 days of cardio (currently also at the gym), and 1 full rest/recovery day. It's the last that I'm sure will be tough, and if worse comes to worse I'll just do an active recovery day (very light running on a treadmill, etc.).

What you might do, if it's too much, is just spread it out, so you're only doing one thing each day, and do have some lighter days to recuperate.