Eat This, Not That!

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The one and ONLY sub I make regularly is plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream. And pretty much only because I usually have plain greek yogurt on hand, and don't want to make a special trip to the store to get sour cream on the rare occasion I would use it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Last night I craved wine, so I took the dog for a twilight walk/run so I could have some. :) I wouldn't settle for lemon water or something silly like that.

I can't imagine a single situation where lemon water could be considered a substitute for wine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    my craving isn't really for the pasta but for what you put ON the pasta. I don't want to eat a bowl of sauce and a meatball...hence, the spaghetti squash.

Yeah, this is one that works for me for the exact same reason.

The make it yourself one works for me too. And I happen to like hamburgers just as well without the bun and with roasted potatoes instead of fries. Well, most of the time.
    If you're craving something sweet, then have some watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe in a fruit salad with a dollop of cool whip on top. Much more satisfying than a vegetable salad with vinaigrette. That's just a weird compromise to make when your sweet tooth is acting up.

Or, despite the usual reaction here, the frozen banana (although the calorie savings aren't that great and may be non existent) or some berries or a peach or an apple dipped in Fage 2%.

Or a small square of high quality chocolate for 50 calories.

I'm weird, though, because although I like lots of sweet foods I actively dislike sweet salad dressings (other than balsamic). Raspberry viniagrette and honey mustard are particularly revolting to my taste. (I also think sugar in coffee or tea is nasty, so I'm possibly weird.)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    "When you're craving (Insert any food), eat (that food) if it fits into your daily allotment. It's better for you because (you should not deprive yourself of anything you really want). It really helps if you're trying to learn how to eat in moderation and still lose weight." ;)

45WW0wy.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    "When you're craving (Insert any food), eat (that food) if it fits into your daily allotment. It's better for you because (you should not deprive yourself of anything you really want). It really helps if you're trying to learn how to eat in moderation and still lose weight." ;)

This.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'm weird, though, because although I like lots of sweet foods I actively dislike sweet salad dressings (other than balsamic). Raspberry viniagrette and honey mustard are particularly revolting to my taste. (I also think sugar in coffee or tea is nasty, so I'm possibly weird.)

I'm the exact same way. Don't like sweet salad dressings or any fruit for that matter in green salads. Do not like sugar in tea or coffee either, only half & half. So either you're not weird or we both are. Might very well be the latter.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Last night I craved wine, so I took the dog for a twilight walk/run so I could have some. :) I wouldn't settle for lemon water or something silly like that.

I can't imagine a single situation where lemon water could be considered a substitute for wine.

Agreed!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If I want pizza,I eat pizza. In moderation. It's that simple.
  • WinoGelato
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Waits for the inevitable...

"When you are craving ice cream, eat frozen mashed bananas mixed with peanut butter and cocoa powder. It's better for you because someone on Pinterest said so, even though it has more calories than a serving of gelato and doesn't taste anything like what you are really craving"
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

"When you are craving ice cream, eat frozen mashed bananas mixed with peanut butter and cocoa powder. It's better for you because someone on Pinterest said so, even though it has more calories than a serving of gelato and doesn't taste anything like what you are really craving"

You forgot your sarcasm font. ;)
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I know - I was trying to decide how to make it totally obvious that I am JOKING with that suggestion.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I know - I was trying to decide how to make it totally obvious that I am JOKING with that suggestion.

I liked it. Frozen banana "ice cream" is NO.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    Fill in the blanks!

"When you're craving ______, eat _________. It's better for you because _____________. It really helps if you're trying to _(lose weight/gain muscle)_."

"When you're craving chocolate, eat chocolate. It's better for you because its yummy. It really helps if you're trying to arouse your taste buds"
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    "When you're craving lettuce, eat chocolate cake. It's better for you because it's cake and it tastes of chocolate. It really helps if you're trying to find a reason for living."
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I don't mind sugar in tea, but I despise sugar in coffee unless it's a cappuccino or iced coffee. I prefer hot tea to be unsweetened as well. Iced drinks, with the exception of water, or iced club soda with lemon/lime, need to be a little sweet for me to enjoy them.

• wizzybeth
    Options
    I also agree with going bunless when I want a burger or hot dog. I just don't enjoy the bun enough to justify the calories, and there is usually very little fiber unless it's a 100% whole wheat thing, which I still don't enjoy that much to justify the calories.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Oh this was a joke thread?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

stop-it.jpg
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    When you're craving something, log it and see how it fits in your calorie count for the day. Choose an appropriate portion size. Eat it if it fits your calories.
    Sometimes you might want a lower calorie substitute to have a larger portion but maybe you decide a smaller portion of what you really want is better. Maybe you decide having nothing is better than an unsatisfactory substitute.
    If you have a sweet tooth you should probay plan to fit some of what you like in your diet regularly.

If you like chips maybe you'd like popcorn.